I'm learning can you help?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
PACKLEAD3R

I'm learning can you help?

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Hello

Thank you in advance.

My question is...how do I get this fixed knife apart. ::shrug:: ::facepalm:: ::dang:: Special tool maybe? I have yet to get it to budge.

Again thank you
J
Attachments
20210101_022613.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

J.Gilmer ::handshake::
desmobob

Re: I'm learning can you help?

Post by desmobob »

You can make a tool by notching the blade of a very large, cheap screwdriver, or buy a "pommel nut tool." I recently worked on an old Marble's Woodcraft that had a loose pommel. I bought a pommel nut tool form the big auction site and it worked beautifully. I PM'd you a link to the tool I purchased.

If the pommel nut and knife tang are in really good shape you can usually get them off by using the tips of a pair of needle nose pliers. Looks like that won't work in your case...
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
eveled

Post by eveled »

The screw driver is a good idea, but really you are better off with something that is not tapered. So you need to not only grind the two forks out, but also eliminate the taper on the screw driver blade, while still having the right thickness.

It may be better to use a piece of scrap steel carefully measure the width depth and spacing of the two holes. Transfer the measurements on to the scrap carefully grind or file it as precisely as possible. You may want to clean up the holes before measuring they may be peened over. In fact you may want to hit the hole end of the pommel with a file or belt sander it’s pretty rough.

Edit: Something like these may be good donors
9B13591D-7FE2-4BA9-A62C-815E88448E5E.png
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

eveled wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:41 pm The screw driver is a good idea, but really you are better off with something that is not tapered. So you need to not only grind the two forks out, but also eliminate the taper on the screw driver blade.
Very good point!

The pommel nut on my Marble's required a scary amount of torque to get loosened. A well-fitted, flat-sided tool and a few days of soaking the area with penetrant were the recipe for success. My pommel was Bakelite so that precluded the use of a little helpful heat.

I was cursing the pommel nut/threaded rat tail arrangement until I remembered tightening the pommel on an old Case I have. That one has the pommel held on by a lump of solder and it was necessary to fabricate a clamp to compress the handle stack while melting the solder with a torch and then letting it re-harden in the tightened position.

Happy New Year!
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
eveled

Post by eveled »

FA7BA3B1-307F-4808-A15F-04CBE1EBE48C.jpeg
I was not aware of the soldered pommels. This is the jig I made for a KA-BAR style with a pinned pommel.

Randall just uses a hex nut to hold the pommel on. Which seems to be the best way. IMHO.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I made a pommel nut tool by grinding a slot into the end of a flat file. Works well but one size does not fit all.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If it’s of any help here is more or less what you’re dealing with:
C846060C-33A2-4CCA-80C3-3A0519DC0E18.jpeg
You try to make your own, or you can buy a pommel nut wrench for the job, they’re not expensive https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... h&_sacat=0

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I've used one of these on several pommel nuts with great success.
Attachments
51jnvPXzcOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Thank you! Great info & thanks for the link.
desmobob wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:24 pm You can make a tool by notching the blade of a very large, cheap screwdriver, or buy a "pommel nut tool." I recently worked on an old Marble's Woodcraft that had a loose pommel. I bought a pommel nut tool form the big auction site and it worked beautifully. I PM'd you a link to the tool I purchased.

If the pommel nut and knife tang are in really good shape you can usually get them off by using the tips of a pair of needle nose pliers. Looks like that won't work in your case...
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Sweet! I think I have one of these.
KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 am I've used one of these on several pommel nuts with great success.

PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Wow! Thank you everyone. Very good info & highly appreciated!

James

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”