Cattaraugus ID Please

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
radiowizard

Cattaraugus ID Please

Post by radiowizard »

I've had this for a few years; I can't recall where I got it. Anyway the blade is 4 3/4", overall 8 1/2". Not sure of handle material, maybe Bakelite. Dark brown with lighter brown or reddish orange swirls. Would like to know what to use to clean/preserve the handle.
radiowizard
Attachments
IMG_20200729_200825650_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20200729_200854762_HDR[1].jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattaraugus ID Please

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve seen that material before but not sure what it’s called nor what it’s composition is. I’d try something like Armor All or similar general purpose conditioner on it. I doubt that will hurt it. RenWax would also be a good option and won’t hurt it. If it doesn’t work try something else. There appears to be some significant scratches that likely won’t come out without buffing or extremely fine grit sanding. JMO. Others may have better ideas.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would try using some 400-600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper with water to sand it lightly and then use some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on it.Looks almost like gutta-percha.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

I do have some crocus cloth. Would that be ok? Or is that too fine?
RW
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

Cleaned up the handle a bit. The pattern reminds me a bit of marbled Bakelite that I've seen on some antique radios. Pretty sure it's not Catalin though.
RW

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”