Some of mine!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Some of mine!

Post by Madmarco »

Hey guys! I've been posting on the "Switchblade Collector's" link, but I've run out of autos, so thought I'd show ya some of my fixed blades! I'll post 1-a-day, because it'll give me something to do besides search for automatics all day long, as well as something to look forward to! Many will likely have been seen before, but for anyone who hasn't seen them, these are for you! My apologies for being in the pics, but I don't have a mobile phone, so the only camera I have is the one built into my laptop, and I need 1 hand to hold the knives, and 1 to click the pic! This is a United Cutlery Gil Hibben "Arkansas Toothpick" that's 17 1/2" from tip-to-butt end, with SS bayonet blade/brass hilt guard, solid SS finger-guards and pommel, and some sort of wooden scales that look very much like walnut, although, I can't remember for sure. Very nice grain pattern in the scales. Has Gil's signature atop "HIBBEN KNIVES" and "CUSTOM DESIGN" etched on the front tang, as well as, the Hibben Knives logo, and "GH5019 STAINLESS", "DESIGN UCC",(United Cutlery Company) and "CHINA" etched on the rear tang. It came with a beautiful black leather sheath with leg-tie. G/H was commissioned by Sly Stallone to build him a knife for the Expendables 2 movie, and, has had a few built for him by Gil for his other movies as well. The movie version is identical to this one, but has the Expendables logo inlayed on the scales, although, when researching the knife, lots of the reviews stated that the logo comes loose and falls off, plus, it was about $75. more, so I opted for this version, mostly because I thought the logo looked cheesy, and the price difference for something I didn't want in the first place. This knife is an absolute beast, and should the need arise, one could easily chop down a small tree with it! I can walk down any street where I live with this strapped to my hip and not turn a head, but would be arrested for carrying a 4" automatic knife keychain, DUH!! Hope ya like it! 8)
WIN_20200628_17_08_54_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of mine!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I like it Mark. What a long blade. I could see that knife doing some serious damage as an offensive weapon. Very nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

It's a Whopper!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Holy cats! That's a real handful. Remind me not to irritate you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

lol! Great comments guys, thanks! I meant to tell you I had jumped over to his thread Mark, but forgot, but I see you found it anyway! Stay tuned for lots more, as I have quite a few nice bowies to post! I figured most of you guys had seen this bowie before, so it's really nice that you're enjoying it for the 1st time! Even if some of you have seen online pictures of it, the real-life pics are always better! And watch it Jerry, you're start'n to tick me off! lol! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've been out of sorts for a couple of days, because I received a knife the other day that arrived damaged, and when I told the seller about it, we got into a rather heated exchange about who was to blame, and it got a bit nasty, so I've been feeling guilty about my part in the exchange, ::facepalm:: but, fortunately for me, I messaged him this morning and cleared my conscience, ::handshake:: and am now back to my usual chipper self! ::groove:: Amazing what doing the right thing will accomplish! Enough true confessions, on to todays knife! I have another big honk'n beast for your perusal today! It's a just shy of 19" from tip to lanyard Kyber Bowie/SS full-tang clip-point blade, SS accented bolsters, SS pins, and jet-black ABS scales. The knife is unmarked other than a little teeny-weeny "PAKISTAN" stamped on the rear of the blade. As I was wiping it down prior to taking the pic, I noticed that the lanyard appears to have been welded on as an afterthought. Strange, huh? This bowie would certainly be useful out in the bush, but seeing as those days are behind me, it just hangs on my wall looking mean! I have a whack of good looking unusual bowies, so check back tomorrow! Be safe, Mark! 8)
WIN_20200629_11_44_54_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark! I just spotted the Dr.'s knife you added to your store today, and I must say, WOW! Very nice! Were it not for it having the additional spatula, I'd be asking you to hold it for me, since I've always really liked those knives, but never been a fan of knives with more than 1 blade. I've included a pic of an inexpensive "Steel Warrior" piece that I have, but had the horn scales broken when my cat Elvis knocked it off the display it was sitting on, and I had some scrap pieces of composite lying around and re-scaled it, albeit different colors due to not having enough of 1 color. Better to have a modified knife than no knife at all! BTW, is the longest Dr.'s knife about 6 1/2", or can an 8-9"er be found? 8)
WIN_20200629_12_29_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200629_12_29_16_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark, is that last one a Doctor’s knife? I like the handles on both the front and back.
That Pakistan made knife is huge, I wonder if there is another use for that knife besides offensive or defensive?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't know for sure what the Kyber bowie would be used for Mark, but my guess would be as some sort of fighting weapon??? Possibly to chop bush??? Yes, the small knife was described on ebay as a Dr.'s knife with ox horn handles, but it was very inexpensive(US$18.)and when it hit the ground the scales just broke right off in 4 separate pieces. It actually arrived with 2 cracks in the scales, and the seller refunded all my money, no questions asked, so if they were indeed ox horn, they must have sat on his shelf for a long time and dried right up. All the pins stayed in place, so I shaped the composite to the dimensions of the broken pieces, lined them up and drilled holes in them, popped them on the frame, and then applied a drop of crazy-glue to the top of the pins, and let it drip down the pin and harden, and it worked well because they are on there solid! I tried to polish the new scales with compound and my Dremmel, but they never took a shine, so I don't know what I did wrong. The knife sits at 6 5/8" open, and that is the usual length of a DR.'s knife, so I guess it can be classified as such. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Morning fellas! I have a couple of kindda unusual pieces I wanna show you, and they're not traditional fixed blade knives, although, I'm unsure of what they'd be classed as, so I'll post them here, but if this is a no-no would a mod kindly let me know, and I'll delete the posts and re-do them on the correct thread. This item I got on ebay, and it was 1 of only a few successful orders I received from China. I've had 3 or 4 ebay orders from China refunded due to never receiving the packages, and with the present bad relations between Canada and China over the Huawei controversy, I've ceased ordering anything from China, because Chinese Customs keeps sending my packages back to the sellers, with NO explanation, so this is all I can make of it. There is a specific name for this type of weapon, but I'll be darned if I can recall what it is, so I'll describe it as best I can. This is a Chinese fighting spike(that might be the name?), and it's made entirely of stainless steel, and is completely unmarked. In pic 1, it measures exactly 15", weighs-in at about a pound, and is in it's closed state and would likely be used as a club in this configuration. In pic 2, the 2 pieces have been unscrewed and the 3-edged spike withdrawn from it's base. And, in pic 3, this is the fully open position, with the 2 pieces being screwed together to form a spike with a handle, and measuring exactly 24"! The edges on the spike are not overly sharp, and this is likely due to it being used as a stabbing weapon, as opposed to a cutting weapon. I thought it was kindda cool when I saw it, so decided to add it to my collection! It has absolutely no other use than as a weapon, but fits right in with my other unusual knives, and makes a great conversation piece! 8)
WIN_20200630_10_54_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200630_10_53_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200630_10_53_12_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I'd call it a pimp shank but as you said there's probably another name for it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

lol! Sounds good to me, that's as good as any! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark, that looks like a good weapon to have if your expecting trouble. Really unique.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes Mark, I imagine it would be extremely effective in a 1-on-1 situation, although, in this case it simply sits propped-up against my wall waiting to be talked about, and anyone who sees it definitely talks about it! lol! BTW, my package is already in Canada, so it may not be as long as I first expected. The last one was delivered 9 days after landing at Customs, so possibly middle of next week! Hope so, I can't wait to see my Mcusta! The Marbles too, just not quite as much as the Mcusta! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 am Yes Mark, I imagine it would be extremely effective in a 1-on-1 situation, although, in this case it simply sits propped-up against my wall waiting to be talked about, and anyone who sees it definitely talks about it! lol! BTW, my package is already in Canada, so it may not be as long as I first expected. The last one was delivered 9 days after landing at Customs, so possibly middle of next week! Hope so, I can't wait to see my Mcusta! The Marbles too, just not quite as much as the Mcusta! 8)
Be sure to post pictures of those when they come in.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I will for sure Mark, and I'll mention where I got them too! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I actually should have shown this knife along with it's big brother when I posted it a couple days ago, since a big part of the reason I got the 2 was to compliment each other, but I overlooked that fact so I'll post it now, but in the future I will post all my sets together. This is a Gil Hibben "Western Boot Knife", and it's identical in composition to the 17 1/2" "Arkansas Toothpick" version, right down to the brass hilt guard, but only 11". This one has the exact same markings as the large version, other than the model number of "GH5047". This also came with a quality black leather sheath, with a clip to hook inside your boot or waistband. It is far more manageable than the large one, and fits my hand like a glove. Even though these 2 knives were manufactured in China, they are solid well built pieces, and either would stand-up to a lot of punishment, and would make excellent bush knives. Happy Canada Day to all! 8)
WIN_20200701_12_04_21_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nice Mark. Given the designer of the knife, it has to be good even if made in China. Very nice.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! It's made by United Cutlery, the same guys that made the Wragg, and possibly the Will and Finck daggers. I'm sure about the Wragg, ::tu:: but unsure about the Will and Finck? ::shrug:: BTW, did you get my message about etsy? 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man, Mmarco, you sure have a unique, and fun collection of fixies. Thoroughly enjoying each one, and happy Canada Day right back at ya mate ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy! Your guys kind comments make it easy to keep posting them! ::handshake:: Check back tomorrow since I have a whole bunch more that I'll post 1-at-a-time. Unless they're in sets of different sizes, in which case I'll show both sizes in 1 post! Heading off to watch the fireworks now, ::nod:: so I'll see ya tomorrow! Mark! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Looking forward to seeing more of your fixed blades. Gil Hibben has certainly been one of the most successful designers of commercial knives, not to mention his personal creations.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Q.S.! I agree, G/H certainly has created some very unusual knives! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Since I've been showing Gil Hibben knives, I'll stick to the pattern and show you guys his other 2 pieces I own, 1 today, and 1 tomorrow, since they are 2 completely different types. This knife today has very likely been seen by most of you, and is 1 of the nicest daggers I've ever seen. It's called the "Silver Shadow 2", and is, from what I've seen, very similar to the "Silver Shadow 1", albeit somewhat slimmer in it's profile, and I think a bit longer. It's 12 3/4" from tip to skull-crusher/SS duel-edged dagger blade, solid SS finger-guards and pommel, and wire-wrapped handle. Has the usual G/H markings and logo, as well as the model number "GH441", and an actual serial #11401, so there's plenty of them in circulation. It states "Handcrafted in China" on the rear tang, although I for one don't know how that differs from "Made in China", if there's any difference at all! Came with the usual quality black-leather sheath. Weighs-in at about 8 oz.'s. This is one nice knife, and both edges came razor-sharp out of the box! I have no idea what era this dagger would have been used in, but the days of Robin Hood and old England come-to-mind for me! Unfortunately, the skull-crusher isn't showing in the pic, but it comes to a point at the top of the pommel. 8)
WIN_20200702_10_04_05_Pro.jpg
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That is one good looking dagger mmarco, I do love me some ole style swords 'n steel.

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”