Some of mine!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of mine!

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy, it's the one I showed in the other thread where you showed your bone handled Tanto, but no matter how hard mine tries, it'll never be as nice as that one! That is one gorgeous knife you own my friend, congrats! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That tanto is nice. I like that one too.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark, ::tu:: I kindda thought you'd like the slim profile on that one! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Guess what guys, I have another dagger to show you today! Big surprise, huh? If it weren't for all the cheesy advertising that's plastered all over one side of this knife, I'd like it a lot more, and ever since I first saw it I've been planning on using some rubbing alcohol to try to rub the paint off, but I keep putting it off for another day and then forget to do so, but now that's it's out of it's display to take the pics this just might be the day! It's an 11 1/2" "Rambo First Blood Part II" dagger/duel-edged blade, 1-piece oxide coated SS construction, G-10 insert on the hollowed-out handle, and lanyard hole. The side I'm showing in the pics is totally blank, BUT, on the flip-side there is Sly's signature in paint on the blade(YUK!) ::td::, and, "RAMBO FIRST BLOOD PART II" in paint on the front tang(DOUBLE YUK!) ::td:: ::td::. It weighs about 6 oz.'s and came with the standard nylon sheath, and is only 1/2" thick at the widest point of the handle. Arrived with both edges razor-sharp. The makers could have actually left the handle skeletonized and not inserted the G-10, although, it does help make it a little heavier and improves the grip factor. A nice dagger had they not ruined it with their advertising! 8)
WIN_20200714_10_14_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200714_10_15_16_Pro.jpg
8)
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 pm I also saw the C/S video of them cutting into a side-of-beef Mark, and the knife sliced through it like it was butter, AFTER it had punctured about 10 layers of 1" cardboard sheets! Strong selling ploy! I don't know a lot about their history, so maybe I'll do some research on them. It's ironic that you mention throwing knives, because just this morning I messaged the guy who sold me 5 of his autos, to show him a skeletonized diving knife I had received recently, and he relayed that when he was about 20 yrs. old he got the idea to learn how to throw a knife properly and make it stick. He went on to say that he ruined a few before he realized you can't just use any old knife as a throwing knife, and eventually bought one exactly like the one I was showing him, but even after he had aced the practise, that knife eventually snapped in 2, so I guess there's a definite art to throwing one properly, unless one doesn't mind ruining their knives. Nothing more satisfying than getting the correct number of revolutions down pat, and having it sink deeply into the target. I have some coming up that are much better suited for throwing, so keep watching! 8)
Hey Marco,

On throwing knives, ANY knife can be thrown at least once. Any knife not properly designed to be a throwing knife will snap long before a "throwing knife" will break. Even "throwing knives" occasionally break.

The key reason is hardness - throwing knives should be "softer" than "real use knives". Throwing knives should have an Rc of 47 to 53, at most. This allows them to have more "give" to them for the impact shock. The vibrational shock of a thrown knife is what snaps them.

The second reason for knives to snap when being thrown is stress points. ANY hole of any shape can cause a blade to snap, even a completely circular hole. The only holes I tolerate in a throwing knife - way back near the pommel to serve as a hanging hole, heat treating support hole, coating hanging hole. Knives without holes can and do snap, bit for every "holeless" knife that snaps, another dozen with holes snap. And it's not just holes. Knives with strange cutouts along the knife's outside margin cause stress points.

And folders should never be thrown. No folding knife hinge pin is strong enough to last long when thrown.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s great information. I did not know that the Rc was that low on throwing knives, makes sense. You always see knives of all types thrown in movies. When I was a kid, it seemed that every western had a knife thrown in it. I tried doing that w/ the results you mentioned.
I wonder if there are many on the forum that are into throwing knives?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks ZZ, I appreciate all the information. ::tu:: Everything you stated makes perfect sense to me. ::nod:: I think a good example of what you're describing would be in the Steven Segal movie, "Under Siege", where he's a cook on a military ship and has a scene in the galley where he throws a knife into a piece of burl hanging on the wall, and that knife appears to be a solid 1-piece knife with a very sharp edge. They actually sell that same knife in sets of 3 and describe them as "Throwing Knives". It brings to mind another movie scene from "S7even" in which Morgan Freeman is in his apartment throwing his switchblade into a dartboard, and every time I see it I cringe, because it just rubs me wrong to see him risk damaging a nice knife in such a manner. He always sticks it though! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Cool dagger Marko ::nod:: .

And thank you for the info ZZ, helped fill in me prior fuzzy knowledge on throwing knives ::handshake:: .

Hey Mark! Love you new decal. Very fitting to your personality ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:30 am Cool dagger Marko ::nod:: .

And thank you for the info ZZ, helped fill in me prior fuzzy knowledge on throwing knives ::handshake:: .

Hey Mark! Love you new decal. Very fitting to your personality ::tu:: .
Thanks Willy, Trying to establish a brand. Have some exciting things in the works.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Good for you! ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Willy! ::tu:: I've got a 5-pack for tomorrow so stay tuned! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

As promised, I have a 5-pack of daggers to post today, and although all are quite similar, they display subtle differences. These daggers were inexpensive at the time I bought them, but for the Wild Turkey which was considerably more than the rest, and all have increased in price to the point of not being worth what they're asking for them now. For 4 of them I paid under US$20. each, and the W/T US$40., and the prices have jumped to close to US$50., and for what these knives are those prices are too high, but people keep buying them so I guess the marketing team knows what they're doing. In the 1st. pic are 2 Szco "Renaissance" daggers, 1 being 10", and the other 12 1/2"/SS duel-edged dagger blades, solid brass bolsters and pommels/skull-crushers, and black+white pakkawood handles. Both have "Stainless" and "Pakistan" etched on the rear blades, and came with quite sturdy brown leather sheaths. The duel-edges are both dull, likely due to these being stabbing weapons as opposed to cutting knives. In the 2nd pic are also 2 "Renaissance" daggers, the 10" being a Szco product and the 12 1/2"'er being a Wild Turkey product/the same SS duel-edged dagger blades, solid brass hardware/S-C's, although, the S-C'er on the 12 1/2" knife is far less prominent than on the other 4 knives, and white bone handles. The Szco product sports the same markings as the knives in pic 1, but the W/T product is unmarked and claims to be handmade. These 2 came with sturdy black leather sheaths, and are likewise dull edged. And, in pic 3 is what was described as a "Commando" dagger, but I think "Renaissance" is more fitting, and, the maker wasn't stated, although, with the similarities in design and "Stainless/Pakistan" markings I'd say it too was made by Szco. This knife is 13 1/8"/SS duel-edged blade, same solid brass bolsters and pommel/S-C'er, and black+white buffalo horn/camel bone inserts for the handle. Also came with a black leather sheath and dull edges. These knives weigh between 10-12 oz.'s apiece. Seeing as I buy knives strictly for collection and pleasure purposes, the quality of these doesn't bother me a bit, and since I have no plans to ever sell any of them, they suit me just fine! 8)
WIN_20200715_09_57_52_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200715_09_58_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200715_09_59_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Actually, all of the blades appear well done. Meaning the grind lines look good. The bottom one raises a question, the black and white handles.

Why such a huge ricasso?
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Sweet!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Don't really know what you mean about the b+w handles Garry? And yes, that ricasso is pretty big, just a cheap knife so perhaps they weren't too concerned about it. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Sam! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Photo 3:
and black+white buffalo horn/camel bone inserts for the handle.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:58 pm Photo 3:
and black+white buffalo horn/camel bone inserts for the handle.
Yes I understand which photo you mean, just don't know what you mean about "raising a question"? 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just meant the big ricasso raised the question as to why. If it served any purpose.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got it now Garry, thanks. ::tu:: Thought you were referring to the b+w handles when in fact you were referring to the ricasso. I doubt it is relevant to anything, perhaps just one turned out too big, but rather than scrap it they slapped it on thinking no one would notice. Remember, just a $20 knife so quality control was likely shoddy! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Marco. I think I am starting to see daggers in my sleep. :)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::rotflol:: Sorry bout' that! I've only got about 9 daggers left to post, and I'll switch to folders after those! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I like those shorter daggers posted last. Very nice profile on those.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark, I thought you'd like em'! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a big brother/little brother duo to post today guys, and these 2 are a bit unusual! They are non-folding fixed blade stilettos, and there are very few of them around, at least I have only ever seen these ones and 2 others, and I search knives all day everyday. One of the other ones I saw was a Latama build, and carried with it an asking price of US$500., and the seller got it! Latama is a famous auto knife producer, and some of their older models come with quite high prices due to them being very good knives and are no longer being built. Even the current models can fetch upwards of US$600. and more. The fixed blade Latama I mentioned above was much more attractive than the 2 I'm posting, and appeared to be unused, and I'm sure that helped dictate it's price. Now to mine! They are 9" and 11" respectively and sport SS bayonet blades, NS flat-guard bolsters, brass liners and pins, and jet-black ABS scales. The 9" is tang-stamped "O.M.O.R."(ROMO spelt backwards) "HK350" and "JAPAN", and the 11" is stamped "ROSCO" surrounded by a diamond, as well as "STAINLESS STEEL" and "JAPAN". Both these knives arrived in used condition, so I cleaned them up as much as possible, and I'm pleased with the results! They make great conversation pieces, as well as excellent letter-openers! I may have posted the smaller knife previously, and if that's the case, my apologies, I just wanted to post them together to show the different lengths! 8)
WIN_20200716_12_48_43_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”