Fixed blade Tantos Anyone?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Tony_Wood

Fixed blade Tantos Anyone?

Post by Tony_Wood »

I know that this is a folding knife forum, but who has tantos?
Post up some pics.
I have been working on building a couple, and would like to see what you have. Inspiration comes in all forms, especially pictures.
FE131BBA-D020-447A-B5DC-8B05B0837027.jpeg
11486AB7-443B-4701-BC00-D4F3B18F71D2.jpeg
9AF86FC6-CCC9-4330-ACB7-18F4C364AFA9.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Tony_Wood

Re: Fixed blade Tantos Anyone?

Post by Tony_Wood »

And one more...

94D1764A-D006-4C3C-BE4D-EE60430B02EE.jpeg
BD460323-9FA5-466C-A4EF-877EEE180FB1.jpeg
F7F42F88-8697-4505-875F-73D616D8541F.jpeg
44323658-F9F1-4F40-913C-B5857838AA6B.jpeg

Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

Those look interesting, and anyone who can forge a piece of steel into a blank and then polish it like you do certainly has my admiration. Are you starting with leaf springs as it appears from some of your photos? As I recall, Rudy Ruana in Bonner, MT started with leaf springs and he made some great knives. Your old anvil in the photo looks like it has seen a lot of hard use.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Well, if you're looking for inspiration...this "reverse tanto" is on one of my favorite knives...the Benchmade 940.
But...you knocked it out of the park, with the sleek design and finish, on the top one! I like it, just like that!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
reverse.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Wonderboy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:31 pm Those look interesting, and anyone who can forge a piece of steel into a blank and then polish it like you do certainly has my admiration. Are you starting with leaf springs as it appears from some of your photos? As I recall, Rudy Ruana in Bonner, MT started with leaf springs and he made some great knives. Your old anvil in the photo looks like it has seen a lot of hard use.
Yes sir. I have tried to make a study of these knives, but don’t anyone who owns one. All I can find are pictures online.
The steel I am using is from the 1940’s. The pieces are tines from an International Harvester.

The old anvil has been used and abused. It came to me a few years ago, almost as it is.
Thanks for the reply.
Doc B wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm Well, if you're looking for inspiration...this "reverse tanto" is on one of my favorite knives...the Benchmade 940.
But...you knocked it out of the park, with the sleek design and finish, on the top one! I like it, just like that!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
reverse.jpg
Thank you sir. I like the looks of that blade.
The finished blade, above, is about to head out the door.
Will post pics soon of the finished product.

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Nobody else?

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Tony, Your tanto is in the traditional/authentic Japanese style. Following is the Emperor Tanto set by Cold Steel made in the mid 80s. The spine of the blade is not flat. Rather, it comes to about a 45 degree apex. I couldn't find a way to photograph this. I don't believe they made more than about 120 to 125 of these sets.
Attachments
P1030753 (2).JPG
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:49 pm Tony, Your tanto is in the traditional/authentic Japanese style. Following is the Emperor Tanto set by Cold Steel made in the mid 80s. The spine of the blade is not flat. Rather, it comes to about a 45 degree apex. I couldn't find a way to photograph this. I don't believe they made more than about 120 to 125 of these sets.
Yes sir! Great looking set.
Are the bevels hollow ground, or chisel ground?

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

They are hollow ground and made of San Mai steel. To the best of my knowledge, the chisel grind was first used by the late, great, Phil Hartsfield. Seals loved his fixed blades and asked him to make them a similar folding knife. Phil demurred and referred them to the up and coming Ernie Emerson who went to Phil and asked his permission to use his chisel grind which of course Phil was happy to support. The result was the famous CQC- 6.

Here are two more CS iterations. For some time during the Iraq war period, the Tanto on the left was the number one selling knife in the PX stores.

P1030755 (2).JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Awesome Tantos Gary, Doc, Mr. Tony... I bet the customer is going to be one happy dude, lovely work Tony ::tu:: .

Here's my first (and definitely not last) Tanto... A vintage Taylor/Seto Japan model, in thick stag. Traded off a feller here on AAPK, still in the mail system... Chomping on the bit it arrives this week.

I just love Japanese style knives/swords... Keep em' coming fellers ::tu:: .
Attachments
B4152A4E-678B-40EF-924F-8505B94B8C3D.jpeg.jpg
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

This Tanto is the Spyderco collaboration with the late Bob Lum. Willy, that is a fine looking Tanto you have en route.

P1030764 (2).JPG
P1030765 (2).JPG
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:06 pm They are hollow ground and made of San Mai steel. To the best of my knowledge, the chisel grind was first used by the late, great, Phil Hartsfield. Seals loved his fixed blades and asked him to make them a similar folding knife. Phil demurred and referred them to the up and coming Ernie Emerson who went to Phil and asked his permission to use his chisel grind which of course Phil was happy to support. The result was the famous CQC- 6.

Here are two more CS iterations. For some time during the Iraq war period, the Tanto on the left was the number one selling knife in the PX stores.

P1030755 (2).JPG
Thanks for the info QS.
That Cold Steel set is a great looking set of knives. I especially like the top one.
WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:12 am Awesome Tantos Gary, Doc, Mr. Tony... I bet the customer is going to be one happy dude, lovely work Tony ::tu:: .

Here's my first (and definitely not last) Tanto... A vintage Taylor/Seto Japan model, in thick stag. Traded off a feller here on AAPK, still in the mail system... Chomping on the bit it arrives this week.

I just love Japanese style knives/swords... Keep em' coming fellers ::tu:: .
Wow Willy! I saw that blade last week in the store after doing a search for “tanto.”
Good catch. Post up some more pics when you have it in hand.

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

I will post pics of this in a separate thread, but I am nearing the end of this build.
91B0A9C0-9C22-4511-A991-6478A24FEF73.jpeg

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Tony, that is a beauty. ::groove::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:51 am Tony, that is a beauty. ::groove::
You said it Gary, lovely work Mr. Tony ::tu:: .

And thank you for the compliments Tony, i will definitely post pics when she arrives.

::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Concerning the CS Emperor Collection. The length of the blades was unique. The Magnum blade is 10". The middle Tanto blade is 5 1/2". The smallest blade is 4 1/4.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Here’s some updates pics of the last blade I forged.
I changed the tip to be more traditional and worked a habaki from copper.
CFF8390A-3932-4784-A2AB-CC3E4A30A41A.jpeg
802C2285-7172-4232-A561-E325DA7D0DE4.jpeg
41B6CFFB-4A30-42A3-9C99-F0E8BE958437.jpeg
9D1A1CF9-C69A-4AD2-AE3F-4AEB0B7D57CA.jpeg

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Wonderful work Mr. Tony, i can already see a wonderful knife coming together ::tu::. Are you planning to go full traditional handle wrap, or something a bit more modern?

As promised, here's the Taylor Seki tanto, in all it's glory. Sure makes for one mean letter opener :lol: .

Definitely not going to be my last asian style knife, I just love the overall profile/balance. Would make for a awesome skinner/veggi chopper, if i had any interest in using/carrying it.

Cheers!
Attachments
DSCN3442.JPG
DSCN3443.JPG
DSCN3449.JPG
Winston Churchill

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:48 am Wonderful work Mr. Tony, i can already see a wonderful knife coming together ::tu::. Are you planning to go full traditional handle wrap, or something a bit more modern?

As promised, here's the Taylor Seki tanto, in all it's glory. Sure makes for one mean letter opener :lol: .

Definitely not going to be my last asian style knife, I just love the overall profile/balance. Would make for a awesome skinner/veggi chopper, if i had any interest in using/carrying it.

Cheers!
Nice Willie. Is that hollow ground with a swedge on the spine? Love that bone handle.
Yes. This current build will be traditionally fitted. I am working toward the goal of an entirely traditional Tanto. That is why I started this thread in the first place. I can’t even find anyone with a traditional Tanto to acquire a trace pattern. Guess I will keep building from photos.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sounds good Tony ::tu:: .

Yes, it's a deep swedge following the curve of the blade, tapering to a fine point.

No disagreement here, I like the bone too :D .

Good stuff.
Winston Churchill

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hi guys! I'm new to this thread but just wanted to compliment you on your tanto Willy, it's absolutely gorgeous! Your builds are also really good looking Tony, it'll be a pleasure to see the finished products! I only have 2 fixed blade tantos, 1 that's not bad, and 1 that's a real cheapo, but thought I'd post them for you to see. This 1st one I got on ebay from a U.K. seller, and it's unmarked, 10" in length/SS full-tang blade with what appears to be a swedge on the top edge, NS bolsters with accents, brass pins, and dark walnut scales with finger indents. It arrived razor-sharp, and feels very good in-hand. Weighs-in at about 8 oz.'s. The 2nd one I got here in Canada from Herooutdoors.ca, and is likely best classified as a letter opener. It might be a Cold Steel product, due to the design, but I can't remember for sure. It's 9"/SS blade, some sort of inexpensive metal bolsters, black grivory textured scales, and lanyard hole in the bottom bolster. Has an etch of a dragon on the blade, and "CHINA STAINLESS" etched on the rear tang. I know it's a cheap POS, ::facepalm:: but I just thought it was cool, 8) and when ordering such items you never really know just how cheap they are until you see and hold them! ::shrug:: It does open letters and boxes very well though! Thanks, Mark! 8)
WIN_20200628_14_57_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200628_14_58_10_Pro.jpg
8)
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm Hi guys! I'm new to this thread but just wanted to compliment you on your tanto Willy, it's absolutely gorgeous! Your builds are also really good looking Tony, it'll be a pleasure to see the finished products! I only have 2 fixed blade tantos, 1 that's not bad, and 1 that's a real cheapo, but thought I'd post them for you to see. This 1st one I got on ebay from a U.K. seller, and it's unmarked, 10" in length/SS full-tang blade with what appears to be a swedge on the top edge, NS bolsters with accents, brass pins, and dark walnut scales with finger indents. It arrived razor-sharp, and feels very good in-hand. Weighs-in at about 8 oz.'s. The 2nd one I got here in Canada from Herooutdoors.ca, and is likely best classified as a letter opener. It might be a Cold Steel product, due to the design, but I can't remember for sure. It's 9"/SS blade, some sort of inexpensive metal bolsters, black grivory textured scales, and lanyard hole in the bottom bolster. Has an etch of a dragon on the blade, and "CHINA STAINLESS" etched on the rear tang. I know it's a cheap POS, ::facepalm:: but I just thought it was cool, 8) and when ordering such items you never really know just how cheap they are until you see and hold them! ::shrug:: It does open letters and boxes very well though! Thanks, Mark! 8) WIN_20200628_14_57_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20200628_14_58_10_Pro.jpg
Thanks for sharing.

I really like the Cold Steel tantos. All of their products are high quality.

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Current pics of a current build.
Have added a mild steel Tsuba, hammered, blued, and heat colored.
332D0FE4-C0C7-4F51-A92D-88CF2BBCDDC2.jpeg
2BE5A5B0-B6C0-443A-A32D-267DCA781DA2.jpeg
Awaiting and order of ray skin and ito wrap.
0AF59AF5-A1F1-4E3E-9381-46E515352B28.jpeg
C7F3EC7D-4E25-448C-9931-5F2CA8E775C6.jpeg

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Tony_Wood wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 pm Current pics of a current build.
Have added a mild steel Tsuba, hammered, blued, and heat colored.

332D0FE4-C0C7-4F51-A92D-88CF2BBCDDC2.jpeg

2BE5A5B0-B6C0-443A-A32D-267DCA781DA2.jpeg

Awaiting and order of ray skin and ito wrap.

0AF59AF5-A1F1-4E3E-9381-46E515352B28.jpeg

C7F3EC7D-4E25-448C-9931-5F2CA8E775C6.jpeg

Tony, that's beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wonderful work Tony. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it wrapped.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”