Epic STAG THREAD

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
eveled

Re: Epic STAG THREAD

Post by eveled »

That is super cool! It looks like they intended to have more awards hang from it. Or maybe years of service? Or a retirement antler?

That is truly epic stag!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gene or anyone that knows, Is that old stag from the sambar deer of India?

Was any stag ever used by a US factory from North American whitetail or mule deer?
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, it is sambar stag. I don't think American white tail stag was used since it is not very strong. White tails, mule deer, and elk all have stag with a fairly thin hard outer layer but the inside is very pithy and porous. The sambar is hard all the way through. Ruana only uses elk from near the base of the antler where it is stronger. There are rumors that Case used some American stag, but I doubt the veracity of this. WR Case DID have a compound where they kept some deer on their property but I don't think it was to harvest antlers for knife handles. The Case boys had a big tract of land in Little Valley, they had their own horse racing track too since they liked to race horses.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks for the explanation Gene. :)
steve99f
eveled

Post by eveled »

Buck uses elk.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

eveled wrote:Buck uses elk.
Yes, and some of it is pretty nice. I have this 120 in elk and it is for sale if anyone needs one!
5f11_3 (Large).JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

It’s a beautiful knife.
JnBama

Post by JnBama »

Knife was lost in shipping before Christmas and Midway sent a replacement which had uneven handles. This one finally showed up with better handles so kept better of the two knives and sheaths.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

That's some nice handles on those knives! ::tu::
steve99f
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Awesome knives in this thread, here is one of my favorites

ABS M.S. Russ Andrews gentlemen bowie, W2 core
aapkRAMS.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Montanaman wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm ABS M.S. Russ Andrews gentlemen bowie, W2 core

aapkRAMS.jpg
Its been impressive and enjoyable to watch you post your knives. My knowledge is minimal on them but it doesn't take someone very smart to see they are super high end. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Beautiful knife, Kris; you always show some wonderful knives. Maybe I'll catch you sometime on my way west on I 90. I have had some good times in Bozeman (and lots of Montana towns; in fact I was born in Montana and lived there for 57 years).
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Gorgeous knife and sheath Kris. ::nod:: ::nod::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04068.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John, nothing but sweetness there. A looker. ::nod:: ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice knife! It looks like a relatively small one, which I like more and more. I like the pin placement, too.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

espn77 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 pm
Its been impressive and enjoyable to watch you post your knives. My knowledge is minimal on them but it doesn't take someone very smart to see they are super high end. ::tu::
Thank you, I really appreicate this comment. I enjoy sharing them with the folks here.
tongueriver wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 pm Beautiful knife, Kris; you always show some wonderful knives. Maybe I'll catch you sometime on my way west on I 90. I have had some good times in Bozeman (and lots of Montana towns; in fact I was born in Montana and lived there for 57 years).
Thanks, and anytime, hit me up when you are headed my way!
doglegg wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:09 am Gorgeous knife and sheath Kris. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thanks doglegg, I always appreciate your comments.
jmh58 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm
DSC04068.JPG
Nice one! Love seeing all the different stag.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

CAS personal carry
aapkepicstagCAS.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very well executed. The sheath, the blade, the handles and the photo, all very well executed. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

doglegg wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm Very well executed. The sheath, the blade, the handles and the photo, all very well executed. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Thank you doglegg, I try to take clear pictures that represent the knife as it is. Your enthusiasm for this site is very appreciated, and I wish it was more contagious among others. I will post a few more today..
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

1967 Puma bowie, Puma used some great stag back in the day
aapkepicPuma.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Yes, I always look forward to your posts, Kris! Life is good (living in Montana and Wyoming, and lotsa good cutlery!).
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Again a great looking knife. I don't feel Puma's are appreciated as much as they deserve. That one looks good. ::tu:: ::tu::
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

doglegg wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:17 pm Again a great looking knife. I don't feel Puma's are appreciated as much as they deserve. That one looks good. ::tu:: ::tu::
tongueriver wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm Yes, I always look forward to your posts, Kris! Life is good (living in Montana and Wyoming, and lotsa good cutlery!).
Thank you gentlemen, and yes toungeriver, life is good, it is nice to live where I can carry a fixed blade every day of my life. I spend a week every winter near Cody on the South Fork of the Shoshone river ice climbing, some of the best in the world.

Tim Steingass New Orleans special, a Loveless design also known as a 3/4 boot. Bob only made about 7 of them and they usually sell for over 8k. Very nice stag on this one with a nice tapered tang. Stag like this is getting harder to come by. Sheath made for me by the talented, David Seward.
aapkepicSteingass.jpg
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Kris, You have been posting some beautiful knives, I always find myself going back for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th look at your pics. You have a great collection and always present them with some superb photography. Oh, and really like that sheath for that New Orleans Special.
Ike

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”