A buncha old fixed blades;some good;some not-so-good.....

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
knife7knut

A buncha old fixed blades;some good;some not-so-good.....

Post by knife7knut »

Going through some old knife boxes in the basement that I had stopped using some time ago I discovered several knives inside one of them that I had neglected to re-package. For whatever reason I had abandoned them;probably because I didn't think they had any real value. Remembering I had gotten them in a couple lots of knives I had purchased many years ago,I decided to re-think their worth and at least preserve them.
Three of them are khukris of various styles;one is a jambiya marked India and the last is an Indian knife and fork set housed in the shape of a fish. I used to see those on e-Bay all the time in various sizes but they have since disappeared.
The first khukri has both of the small knives in the leather covered wooden sheath;has a rather plain horn handle and is stamped India with an English broad arrow mark next to the stamp. Not sure if it was military issue or not.
Number two does not have provisions for the two small knives on the sheath(and looks like it never had);the horn handle is ornately carved in what looks like a dragon's head and the blade has some engraved scroll work on the spine near the tang.The notch in the tang(supposedly used for blood letting before sheathing the blade if it was not used in combat)is two pronged and scary sharp.I've cut myself twice with it already).
Number three is somewhat larger than the other two and has no markings on the blade.The sheath is missing the two small knives(typical)and it has a fancy piece of brass decorating the throat,The handle is composed of alternating layers of horn and brass and decorated with designs around the rivets. The pommel is cast brass of that of a lion's head.
The jambiya has a rather crudely made double edged blade(very sharp nonetheless)with the word India surrounded by a floral pattern scroll and looks to be plated.The handle is a single piece of horn that is decorated with pins similar to the previous khukri.The sheath also has some carved in decoration on the leather.
The last knife is actually a knife and fork carving set that fits together to form the body of a fish.Made in India it is quite unusual and has a built in stand to allow it to sit upright.Not sure I would ever want to use it for it's intended purpose due to germs being trapped inside the sheath if they were put away uncleaned.
Anyway that is the rundown on them.Thought people might enjoy seeing something a bit different today.
Attachments
LargeKhukri3 2019-1.JPG
LargeKhukri3 2019-2.JPG
LargeKhukri2 2019-1.JPG
LargeKhukri2 2019-2.JPG
LargeKhukri2019-1.JPG
LargeKhukri2019-2.JPG
IndianJambiya2019-1.JPG
IndianJambiya2019-2.JPG
IndianCarvingSet 001.jpg
IndianCarvingSet 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
eveled

Re: A buncha old fixed blades;some good;some not-so-good.....

Post by eveled »

I like the 2 kukris a lot. They look more authentic than touristy. If this is a give away thread “I’m in”. Lol.

I should dig through my old boxes. I don’t remember anything like those though.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”