Dating Western fixed blade knifes

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
songsingingman

Dating Western fixed blade knifes

Post by songsingingman »

:) Does anyone know how Western dated their knifes ? I have a couple of their model 66's and 2 of their model 49s and trying to find out when they were made. Thanks for any help. Alvie
Alvie Addison
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Dating Western fixed blade knifes

Post by Mumbleypeg »

See here: search.php?keywords=Western&t=39799&sf=msgonly. Scroll down to the Western section. (There are two charts. One pre-1977 and one post-1977).

There is also a thread about Western tang stamps where you might find some info. viewforum.php?f=81

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Here's a link to a thread for assisting in determining when a W49 was made. I still haven't got around to getting the pictures taken.

The tang stamp charts are OK, but they are incomplete and the dates are somewhat off, IMO. Some of the stamps are for folders only, some on FBs only, some of stamps were used on folders at one time and on FBs at a different time.

Pictures are very useful in determining about when the L66s were made. Overall pics and of the stamps on the knives.
songsingingman

Post by songsingingman »

Thank You, Ya'll came through again as always one of the best sources for info. about knives bar -none.
Alvie songsingingman :D
Alvie Addison
UpNorthRiddle

Post by UpNorthRiddle »

Hi I just received a Western Knife from my grandfather and he told me he knows it was his dads but has no idea how old it is and I am having trouble finding out information on it. It also came with a leather sheath I don’t know if that helps at all?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

G46-8. WW2 production. They were made AFTER the Navy approved the USN-MK2/1219C2. Western was not given a contract to produce them, so they made the G46-8. The 8 inch blade was "just a silly little inch longer". West coast Marines loved them.

With a red spacer near the guard, it's most likely early production. Not the first batch made as those had only a single line stamp of WESTERN. The reference to the bifurcated tang patent was the PAT. 1,96 t7,479 stamped in a very small font on the pommel. So I say these came out sometime around the summer of 1943, allowing for time to develop and produce a new knife.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Welcome to AAPK UpNorth Riddle. I can't help you with dating your knife for sure but it looks like a WW II vintage fighting knife. Not an expert so don't take that as gospel, just an opinion based on your photos not backed up with specific knowledge. Great looking knife and made very special as a family pass down. ::tu::

ZZ just posted so listen what he has to say.
steve99f
UpNorthRiddle

Post by UpNorthRiddle »

Thank you both so much for the information I can’t wait to let my family know! I really appreciate it :D
eveled

Post by eveled »

Wow! Nice knife! Was your great grandfather in the service? Does the leather sheath look original?

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”