Difficulty in tempering D2 Steel for a fixed blade knife.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O

Difficulty in tempering D2 Steel for a fixed blade knife.

Post by Captain O »

I have noticed more knifemakers fabricating fixed blade knives from D2 steel. Is this recent uptick in using the metal a resurgence, or is this a ne phenomena? If so, why?
rangerbluedog

Re: Difficulty in tempering D2 Steel for a fixed balde knife.

Post by rangerbluedog »

I think resurgence. A lot of the wonder steels nowadays were not available 20-25 years ago, but tools steels such as D-2 and A-2 were popular with custom makers.
D-2 is a tool steel with excellent hardenability (up to 64 HRC) and the chromium content gives it some stain resistance.
D-2 has the ability to air quench, meaning less distortion during heat treatment, and offers excellent wear, abrasion resistance.
The chemical composition is approximately 1.5% Carbon, 0.3% Manganese, 0.3% Silicon, 12.0% Chromium, 0.75% Molybdenum, and 0.9% Vanadium.
The remainder is iron. The chromium forms carbides, which gives D-2 its hardness. While the iron matrix provides toughness.
It does require pretty high temperatures for hardening. It has to be held at about 1850 degrees F, if I recall correctly.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Captain O

Re: Difficulty in tempering D2 Steel for a fixed blade knife.

Post by Captain O »

As you may have read, I bought a DK ONLY Bowie (15.5" with a 10" blade and an elongated clip point). The knife is great an at $62.99 shipped to my door, was one heck of a deal. I think the D2 steel used is Japanese, but I'm not certain. It seems stout enough for use. (Not throwing or abuse).

I have been looking at an Italian-style knife (Sicilian Fishtail Picklock Automatic) and having it made with a D2 California Clip point blade.

Opinions? Comments?

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”