Korium knife maker??

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
RWB

Korium knife maker??

Post by RWB »

I bought this knife just recently. I had done the research before plunking down the cash and learned what the internet could provide for info. The question that I have about it that I can't seem to find any certain info about is the "Korium" company. Nothing! From some things I've found out, my suspicion is that they were made by Carl Schlieper, Eye Brand and made for US export. Any ideas or information from folks on here?
Attachments
20190207_191227.jpg
20190207_191156.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Re: Korium knife maker??

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Here's a thread over on bladeforums that has info on the Korium knives,

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wha ... t-18644151
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Wow, when I was a kid I had a bluegreen rubber knife that looked just like that, over 50 years ago.
RWB

Post by RWB »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Here's a thread over on bladeforums that has info on the Korium knives,

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wha ... t-18644151
Thanks for the information. This confirms my suspects about these blades being made by Schlieper (and/or other reputable german cutlery makers). The blade does seem to be well made and ground. I wish I could get it rockwell tested. Although these were inexpensive, novelty knives at the time (the cast handle is kinda cheap looking) I'm guessing that the steel used was the same as what they used for their own "maker mark" knives. I bought it for the blade.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Many of the Korium brand knives I've seen were marked "KORIUM PIC". "PIC" is a mark used by Precise International. Some of the knives I've seen and owned that were simply marked "PIC" with a stamped picture of a mountain peak were of better quality to include some multi-blade sportsman type knives. Not sure if they used different stamps for different quality knives of maybe just changed the way they stamped the products over time.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RWB

Post by RWB »

btrwtr wrote:Many of the Korium brand knives I've seen were marked "KORIUM PIC". "PIC" is a mark used by Precise International. Some of the knives I've seen and owned that were simply marked "PIC" with a stamped picture of a mountain peak were of better quality to include some multi-blade sportsman type knives. Not sure if they used different stamps for different quality knives of maybe just changed the way they stamped the products over time.
The "Pic" marked knives were made in Japan in later years. I understand it was a cost cutting measure. From what I've been able to find out those marked "FORGED SOLINGEN STEEL" were the earlier ones and made by subcontractors such as Carl Schleiper, Robert Klass and other German cutlery manufacturers. The "Black Forest" stamped knives were cast steel. I'm interested in the solingen variety for those reasons.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”