A German weirdity!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
zoogirl

A German weirdity!

Post by zoogirl »

Ok, so I'm calling this one a "weirdity" because of the blade. On just about every other knife I've seen, the blade thickens at the tang. This one is totally flat. I suppose it was pretty cheap when it was new. I don't think it was ground down as I can still read "Germany" quite clearly.
The handle does seem to be real stag or bone. You can feel where it cuts down into the marrow. No idea of age. This is "as is" from purchase.

I nabbed it because it adds to my bone or stag collection, it's in my size range and it fits my hand just right. Oh, and it was ten bucks!
image.jpg
image.jpg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
kootenay joe

Re: A German weirdity!

Post by kootenay joe »

Do you mean that the thickness at spine is maintained until the blade edge ?
If you pinch the blade just above the edge between thumb & forefinger you can get a feel for thickness. Does it feel the same as if you grip just below spine ?
Germany did make some very low end knives in 1950's. By 1960's the quality of German knives imported into North America improved considerably.
kj
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Ol, so here’s the back edge. It does taper to the tip as you can see. The second is the blade, right where the tang is. The other knife is my Boy Scout for comparison. There’s a very distinct thickening where the sharp blade becomes the tang on the Scout. On the German knife, the blade is smooth all the way down. Some of the lettering is gone but the “Germany” is sharp enough to make me think it wasn’t ground down. It’s just weird!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Red.. I cant help ya but I do LKE that knife!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

:lol: first one to call me “Red” on here! It’s kinda my stage name, actually. Everyone at the jams calls me Red. Some of ‘em don’t know my actual name.

Funny story. My cousin tracked me down on FB and called the bar with a message to contact her. (She’s halfway across the country).
As soon as I walked in, one of the waitresses came running over, all excited, yelling “Red! Red! What’s your name? I think your cousin called!”

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”