Gudedge solingen - help?!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
zoogirl

Gudedge solingen - help?!

Post by zoogirl »

Ok, so I went to the swap meet today, and this is who followed me home.
One side of the tang says “Made In Germany” and the other says “Gudedge” with “Solingen” under it and 564 with possibly a “T” at the bottom.
The handle is stacked and you can see the coloured layers at the blade end. They are cream and red. The guard seems to be brass.
I can’t ding any reference except “Imperial Gudedge” and there seems to have been no Imperial in the stamp.
It’s a solid little thing. My neighbour swears it’s worn down but looking at the way the striations and angles are on the blade, and the way the lettering is placed, I’m not so sure. I suspect it was pretty narrow to begin with. It’s also quite even on the edge. I’m still working on the residual rust and crust but to my surprise, it’s still pretty darn sharp!

Ok, any ideas? Thanks!

Oh, before anyone says it’s a hunk of junk, that’s ok with me. I only paid $5 Cdn for it!
Attachments
9BB33574-E2C4-4943-A45C-44A8F998F131.png
78B7D013-888A-4AAD-834F-57F4557054A9.png
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
zoogirl

Re: Gudedge solingen - help?!

Post by zoogirl »

No ideas? Like I said, all I can find is Imperial Gudedge and I don't see any sign of Imperial on it anywhere. It's obviously old though. Ballpark? Anyone?!
akarangerbluedog

Post by akarangerbluedog »

I'm afraid I can't help with Gudedge.
The blade looks to me like it is about 40% gone.
The bird's head pommel just yells "pre-WW2" to me.
I like it! ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

That actually does help. Pre-WW2 is what I'm hoping for. As always, it's age, not price or condition that grabs me. I just scored a big old dresser with a wardrobe side from the neighbour at work. It's damaged and kinda overused and in the way, but if its a minute over 1930, I'll eat it! I'm in love!

Thanks for the reply!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”