Case / Blackie Collins Knife

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Case / Blackie Collins Knife

Post by WelderBob »

I happened across this one last weekend, had no idea that Blackie Collins and Case had got together on a knife. It has a 4" blade and is 8 1/2" oal, Stag handles and Vasco steel. I haven't found much information on this one, as to how many were made and different handles.

I know Vascowear steel is hard to work with, special cutting tools are required and the finished blades can be difficult to sharpen.

Any info you guys have on this would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_7561.JPG
IMG_7559.JPG
IMG_7560.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
jmh58

Re: Case / Blackie Collins Knife

Post by jmh58 »

Bob.. First.. KOOL knife!! ::nod:: ::tu:: 8) I see it was made in 1994!! Kinda interesting!!! That's a first for me!! KOOL!!! 8) John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Don't have any info, but that is one awesome knife ::groove::
Eye Brand Collector
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Eye Brand Man wrote:Don't have any info, but that is one awesome knife ::groove::
DITTO!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thanks guys...glad you all like it.

Also I've never seen a box like this, rather plain.
Bob

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Like many others, I was an admirer of Blackie Collins. Had a few of his Gerber designs from back in the 80s, before Gerber was taken over by Fiskars. But I was unaware of his connection with Case. Not surprisingly, it is a very fine looking knife.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great looking knife Bob! ::tu::

Case collaborated with Blackie Collins on a series of products in the 1990s. Here's a list compiled by official Case Historian Katie Shonts Saar, that I copied from a post on the Case Collectors Club forum:
Introduced: 1993 Discontinued: 1995 Item #00360 Black Zytel® InnerFrame™ Folder with Hytrel® sheath

Introduced: 1993 Discontinued: 1998 Item #00361 Black Zytel® Tri-Fold™ Pocket Knife

Introduced: 1993 Current Item #00362 Black Zytel® Ridgeback® Hunter (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00358 Black Zytel® Ridgeback® Caper (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #00359 Black Zytel® Ridgeback® Drop Point (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00696 Black Zytel Slipper™ knife guard for skinning

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00713 Black Zytel® Fixxit™ Tool

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01750 Custom Hunters - Smooth Hand-Rubbed Cocobolo Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter 440 C) with 300 Series Stainless Steel Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1996 Item #01751 Custom Hunters - Smooth Hand-Rubbed Cocobolo Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter 440 C) with Brass Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01752 Custom Hunters - Smooth Hand-Rubbed Cocobolo Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter VascoMax®) with Brass Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01753 Custom Hunters - Smooth Hand-Rubbed Cocobolo Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter VascoMax®) with 300 Series Stainless Steel Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01754 Custom Hunters - Stag Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter 440 C) with 300 Series Stainless Steel Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1996 Item #01755 Custom Hunters - Stag Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter 440 C) with Brass Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01756 Custom Hunters - Stag Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter VascoMax®) with 300 Series Stainless Steel Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1994 Discontinued: 1995 Item #01757 Custom Hunters - Stag Drop Point Fixed Blade Custom Hunter (Custom Hunter VascoMax®) with Brass Guard and Pins; Top Grain Cowhide Leather Sheath

Introduced: 1995 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00714 Black Zytel® Shooter's Tool

Introduced: 1996 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00393 Camo Zytel® Ridgeback® Hunter (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 1996 Discontinued: 1996 Item #00394 Camo Zytel® Ridgeback® Caper (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 1996 Current Item #00398 Rosewood Zytel® Ridgeback® Hunter (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 2010 Current Item #18336 Camo Lightweight Zytel® Caliber® Ridgeback® Hunter (RIDGEBACK® HUNTER SS)

Introduced: 2010 Current Item #18337 Camo Lightweight Zytel® Caliber® Ridgeback® Drop Point (RIDGEBACK® DROP POINT SS)

Introduced: 2010 Current Item #18338 Camo Lightweight Zytel® Caliber® Ridgeback® Caper (RIDGEBACK® CAPER SS)
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank you Ken.. ::handshake::

I do see this one listed, looks like Mr. Collins was busy with Case for a while.
Attachments
IMG_7602.JPG
Bob

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Forgot to point out the list was copied from a 2014 post. I don't know if the items she listed at that time as "current production" are still in production now. I have one of the Zytel tri-folds, a Fix-it Tool and a Shooter's Tool.

Here's the tri-fold - same basic design as the old Case 6001 tri-fold, with the addition of a thumb stud. No pictures of the others - guess I'll have to find them and take some shots.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting knife! I too was unaware that he had ever doing anything with Case. I have several of his knives from Benchmark and others. Maybe I should start a Blackie post.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Fantastic looking knife, I too was unaware that Case made a Blackie Collins design and Vasco Max. Nice looking sheath also. Very cool and thanks for sharing
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Interesting knife Ken, looks to be pretty stout... ::tu::

Thank you Ray and Kris.
Bob

onehikes

Post by onehikes »

Love Blackie Collins design- drop point. Kind of a Bob Loveless design. Neat knife.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”