Schrade Sharpfinger blade thickness

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
hughd

Schrade Sharpfinger blade thickness

Post by hughd »

I recently picked up a (SCHRADE U.S.A. 502SC) "pallet" Sharpfinger and noticed that the blade is thinner (1/32" +/-) than my others (basically 1/8" vs 5/32" thick)
Can anyone shed any light on this?
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Sharpfinger blade thickness

Post by tongueriver »

I would expect that their stainless stock might be thinner than their 1095 stock, and I would expect that knives made late in the game might have thinner stock than in earlier manufacturing runs. In Schrades last years they were not using 1095 steel any more, but knives formerly of 1095 were not necessarily stamped with the "plus" sign, indicating stainless, although they were indeed stainless. This was not consistent; some said "Schrade +" and some didn't.
hughd

Re: Schrade Sharpfinger blade thickness

Post by hughd »

tongueriver wrote:I would expect that their stainless stock might be thinner than their 1095 stock, and I would expect that knives made late in the game might have thinner stock than in earlier manufacturing runs. In Schrades last years they were not using 1095 steel any more, but knives formerly of 1095 were not necessarily stamped with the "plus" sign, indicating stainless, although they were indeed stainless. This was not consistent; some said "Schrade +" and some didn't.
Thanks!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”