Barteaux

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
MUD

Barteaux

Post by MUD »

Bearteaux bird and trout and camp/skinner.with original sheaths.

IMG_20180617_065813205.jpg
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Barteaux

Post by Miller Bro's »

Heard of these before, are the blades carbon or stainless and do they hold a good edge?
AAPK Janitor
MUD

Post by MUD »

Miller Bro's wrote:Heard of these before, are the blades carbon or stainless and do they hold a good edge?

Carbon steel sir.
From what I've read and heard, they used old sawblades for the blades and cast aluminum handles. Produced in the Portland area, they also made machetes until 2012 or so.

These are in excellent condition, possible near mint with the factory edge. No signs of use or carry ( the sheaths are mint) with only slight signs of handling.

I've got another knife that's a kitchen knife. It was my first Barteaux and was in used and abused shape. I put quite a bit of time into getting it back into decent shape. Both handle and blade were in pretty bad, and it was dull as a butter knife. It took a while to get the edge back, but it's shaving sharp now.

I'd say they would hold an edge like their branch kin, the older Gerber Legendary Blades and Murphy knives. The close connection between Gerber, Murphy, and Barteaux is mentioned in the Gerber thread under Gerber History.
I also read somewhere that Barteaux had worked at Gerber for awhile after their parting with Murphy. Don't know if it's true, but I'm sure one of the resident Gerber gurus does.

Here's a picture of the 3.
IMG_20180617_065950798.jpg
Thanks for checking them out. Beautiful examples of Oregon knife making. Information about Gerber and Murpyis there but scarce. Barteaux info is almost non-existent.
If anybody has anything they can add, I'd be extremely grateful.
My name is Mud,
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks for the reply, are these marked on the blade with a stamp identifying them as a Barteaux? Or are they acid etched, which is easily worn off, reason I ask is I have several that look exactly like the ones you have shown but there is no name on them nor do I have a sheath.
AAPK Janitor
MUD

Post by MUD »

Miller Bro's wrote:Thanks for the reply, are these marked on the blade with a stamp identifying them as a Barteaux? Or are they acid etched, which is easily worn off, reason I ask is I have several that look exactly like the ones you have shown but there is no name on them nor do I have a sheath.
Here's the kitchen knife, the first one I found. As soon as I can (later today more than likely) I'll post pictures of the others.
Thanks for the interest.

I posted on the Gerber thread that info on these has been pretty scarce. What I know is pretty much what I've posted. A search on the interweb or 6 has gained me absolutely nada. Most of what comes up is about the machetes.
IMG_20170505_074938317.jpg
My name is Mud,
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Okay I see now, just like the Gerber knives.

Thanks for the picture I'll have to take a look at my pile and see if any are marked Barteaux ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
MUD

Post by MUD »

Here's the others. They're quite a bit newer than the kitchen knife (that's my theory, would say assumption but :lol: ).

I actually just noticed the difference between these two.
I'd love to get a timeline of the stamps going. Like I said before, the information is basically non-existent, or else I haven't looked hard enough. Either way, they're awesome knives. The pinkyring on the bird n trout makes a perfect noslipgrip.

Have a good evening sir.
IMG_20180626_154032328.jpg
IMG_20180626_154513091.jpg
My name is Mud,

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”