Massive Sheffield Bowie

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Unclebob

Massive Sheffield Bowie

Post by Unclebob »

This Sheffield made Bowie has been in a few auctions, here in the UK and has no doubt changed hands many times. It weighs in at a little over 2lbs, with an 11 1/4" blade and 16 3/4" overall.
The blade is obviously hand forged and ground, with a very sharp edge. The stag handle is 5 1/2" round.
The name D.WINN is stamped on one side of the guard, with a Sheffield stamp on the other side. These markings also appear on the top of the spine.
I have no idea of age, (probably not too old) and who D. Winn is/was. Google only shows one other knife with this name on.
There is a nasty full depth forging crack across the tip. What would be the best way to repair this? Would MIG welding be ok?
Attachments
DSCF7831.JPG
DSCF7846.JPG
DSCF7847.JPG
Unclebob

Re: Massive Sheffield Bowie

Post by Unclebob »

Here's a couple more photos, one with a KaBar to show some scale and the other showing the crack.
Attachments
DSCF7840.JPG
DSCF7842.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Sadly, this knife is a massive fake. No real Sheffield knife maker would ever have made such a poorly executed knife.
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Gunsil! I thought that someone'd had a go at making a knife or two and had acquired a 'Sheffield' stamp from somewhere. The crack in the tip, would appear to show that the steel has gotten too hot in the forging process.
I like the knife for what it is and not what it purports to be; basically, it looks good on the wall!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”