Help identify model??

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
SafdE26

Help identify model??

Post by SafdE26 »

Found two of these with some weird man made material scales and generic sheaths... so not sure if they were 2nds that someone finished or what... I see "Imperial" on the blade ricasso so I figured they are vintage.. but not sure era or time frame for these... I re-handled one and not sure what awaits the 2nd.. If anyone has seen these I would like to know the production finish and even better a picture if someone has one of these. May be a boys knife as they are not too big. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_2461.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2462.jpg
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2463.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Help identify model??

Post by Gunsil »

I have seen a few of these and own one, I think it has grey man made handle scales, maybe celluloid. I am not home now, and have no idea where it is among the many hundreds of fixed blades I have. They all had generic sheaths and I think they were made before WW2. Seems a shame somebody would destroy a vintage knife to put fancy scales on it and forever lose any collector value. Your re-scale job looks nice but I am no fan of modifying what looks like a mint vintage knife. They were "boys knives" and although not highly valuable are cool remnants of bygone days. I have never seen an old catalog from Imperial so I do not know if it had a model name or number.
SafdE26

Post by SafdE26 »

Gunsil wrote:I have seen a few of these and own one, I think it has grey man made handle scales, maybe celluloid. I am not home now, and have no idea where it is among the many hundreds of fixed blades I have. They all had generic sheaths and I think they were made before WW2. Seems a shame somebody would destroy a vintage knife to put fancy scales on it and forever lose any collector value. Your re-scale job looks nice but I am no fan of modifying what looks like a mint vintage knife. They were "boys knives" and although not highly valuable are cool remnants of bygone days. I have never seen an old catalog from Imperial so I do not know if it had a model name or number.
Well I didn't destroy them and any collector value for these is only what some two people are willing to fight over them for. I dont think they wer mint.. the "Imperial" logo has been almost sanded/polished off....That being said, I figured I would put some handles back on them and pass them down to my two sons. Means a lot more than any $$ IMO. Just meant to get some possible info and share something I thought neat, not offend.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I like the new handles! The knife looks great and your sons will be happy to have them!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just differing perspectives, like old Model A Fords that gave been chopped, engines swapped out and turned into hot rods. To some they're "cool". To others they're an abomination.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are vintage fixed blade knives from the same era as your Imperial (likely 1930's) that have jigged bone handles that look just like the handle pieces you have used.
Not all old knives are worthy of being kept 'as is' especially those that have had the original blade finish removed. I think you have done a great job resurrecting this knife.
I think you should stamp some sort of a mark or date on the blade to indicate it is a re-work, not all original, as the handles do look 1930'ish.
kj
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Just differing perspectives, like old Model A Fords that gave been chopped, engines swapped out and turned into hot rods. To some they're "cool". To others they're an abomination.

Ken
To take your car analogy one step further, a fully restored 1969 Camero is worth infinitely more money than the same vehicle found in a farmers field in as-is condition.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
SafdE26

Post by SafdE26 »

I am with everyone on the collector value stuff too.. just depends on how you see fit you either keep and or use as an investment. I think at the time I paid 12 bucks for both of these little blades and I knew they were old, just not how old and what make/model. But once I had in hand I knew I would do something with them to give to my boys.. They love to hunt/fish and camp. So since I already dabble in knife making I hated seeing them not handled and potentially unused.

* still would like to know more about these as originals and maybe see a photo
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Jeffinn wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:Just differing perspectives, like old Model A Fords that gave been chopped, engines swapped out and turned into hot rods. To some they're "cool". To others they're an abomination.

Ken
To take your car analogy one step further, a fully restored 1969 Camero is worth infinitely more money than the same vehicle found in a farmers field in as-is condition.
Yeah, but one in original untouched mint condition with a few thousand original miles that had been kept in a low humidity garage and cared for for years will fetch more than any restored car. (to follow your analogy) Those Imperials pretty much had their name stamps well polished down from the factory.

Like I said it is a great job and looks very nice. Maybe though I wouldn't try it on some of my fine KA-AR or Case fixed blades of the same era.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gunsil, how can you tell that the Imperial tang marking was partly buffed off in the factory and not done years later to clean it up ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

SafdE26 wrote:I am with everyone on the collector value stuff too.. just depends on how you see fit you either keep and or use as an investment. I think at the time I paid 12 bucks for both of these little blades and I knew they were old, just not how old and what make/model. But once I had in hand I knew I would do something with them to give to my boys.. They love to hunt/fish and camp. So since I already dabble in knife making I hated seeing them not handled and potentially unused.

* still would like to know more about these as originals and maybe see a photo
I am with you all the way; I don't think some readers understand that these blades did not have handles on them. And some old relics are best restored, others not so much. I like what you did on all levels. ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

kootenay joe wrote:Gunsil, how can you tell that the Imperial tang marking was partly buffed off in the factory and not done years later to clean it up ?
kj
Hi Roland, I have owned three of them and they all looked like that and all were original near mint-mint.
SafdE26

Post by SafdE26 »

Gunsil wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Gunsil, how can you tell that the Imperial tang marking was partly buffed off in the factory and not done years later to clean it up ?
kj
Hi Roland, I have owned three of them and they all looked like that and all were original near mint-mint.
I appreciate the concern... Again these were not destroyed by me or anything. Just didn't want to give them to my boys without handles.. so I "handled" one and thought i would seek more info and possibly an original photo. Didn't mean to cause an uproar, lol. I do like the discussion, but we are all knife collectors and enthusiasts and should be happy for others who enjoy their knives the way they may use/display them. Still waiting to see if someone has an original picture of one!!!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”