Beaver USA Bowie

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
#goldpan

Beaver USA Bowie

Post by #goldpan »

I picked this up over thirty years ago. I have used it some and its very well made. I just don't remember who made it or when it was made, Or the blade steel used. Any ideas?
20171120_104529[1].jpg
sam eib

Re: Beaver USA Bowie

Post by sam eib »

Don't know anything about it but it's sure is wicked looking. Nice knife!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Heyy.. I have one just like it!! My pommels are brass though.. I still have the box too.. I remember when I bought it the seller told me that the handles were different sizes to fit hand size.. S M L.. Found the box and inside is a paper with this on it.. 425 Modified SS Made by Beaver Knives , Manuel Silva in Superior, Montana John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Hey Randy, check this out...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beaver-Knives- ... SwEkhZxyvm

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Wow! Thanks Mike and Jm58. ::tu:: I'm thinking about selling it and did not realize it had so much value! ::nod:: Selling it or trading it for a Western W-49. What to do? What to do?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The seller's asking price is quite likely not 'market value' but his high hopes. It is a neat looking knife but obscure enough to not be known by ~ 95% of us. I would not spend $350 for a knife i know nothing about. Just being rare does not create value.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

KJ is right!! An ebay BIN asking price does not in any way establish value, only "sold listings" can do that. I agree that the owner of the ebay knife is just "fishing" and he will likely never realize that price, and it is not rarity rather desirability that drive price or value. There are probably literally millions of ebay BIN asking prices that are over the top and will never be met, it is the sellers who know little about their items and their values that do this hoping to make a big profit.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Seller has 2 of this Beaver knife, both at $350.
When checking sold listings that had a fixed price, not auction, the price listed is seller's asking price, regardless of actual selling price. With many of these the seller will have accepted a lower offer. There is a way to find out actual selling price but i have forgotten how it is done.
kj
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

No problems KJ , you guys are right of course. However the info that I was looking for was given by John. That jogged my memory last night and this is what I recall. Mr. Silva started in California and moved to Montana in the 1980's sometime. The knife I have was a gift from a friend of Mr. Silva who happened to be my former father in law. I was thinking about selling it about 5 years ago and I checked eBay's sold listings at that time. A few of these had been sold for $300.00 used back then. But as I recall they both had the original boxes and paper work. Even considering inflation $350.00 is very high for a knife that has no box or paper work. This is the method I always use when I cant find a true value on anything. I look at the asking prices on similar items in similar condition. I halve that amount and use it as a target price. If its on eBay then I'll start at about 2/3 of the target price. Do I get that amount? Not always, but I do get more than the starting bid. The target price on my Stinger will around $200.00. Starting bid is something I am still considering but will in all probability be $150.00 As I am writing this one has shown up on the Bay at 125.oo and already has 3 bids!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A desirable knife on ebay with an opening bid of $9.99, or less, ALWAYS gets a higher price than the same knife with a high opening bid.
Knowing this i have picked up some good knives at the high opening bid because no one else bid. I get the knife for about half market value because that is a common starting point for sellers listing with a high opening bid.
kj
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

107956334.jpg
I was under the impression that Sonny Guiler, now deceased since 2000. Was the designer and maker on the Stinger knife. First made in southern Cal and then moved to Montana. Montana knives were marked Iron Mountain Knife Company. Earlier ones were marked under the Beaver logo.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Randy....very cool knife and one not seen that much,,,sure you will get
what ya want for it with the other prices on the high side

W-49 hey Randy...sounds like you got the bug to put the Elk scales on the
49 as bad as I do....you mite have to do one of your tutorials on the 49 pair bud...
really gives a knife freak a boost just when ( Me) needs one with all the health
problems I am going thru with my dear wife of 48 years...
I got (You) to thank for the diversion, and I truly do from the bottom of my stinted up heart !!! ::handshake::

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Your welcome Will! ::nod:: The blank you sent and the Elk antler are going to make a nice knife! I have the details worked out in my head like I emailed you about. Your going to love it! I have two folders to finish for another member right after Turkey Day and the weekend. I'll do your knife as a work in progress post when I start that way you can see it going together! Happy Turkey Day everyone! ::super_happy::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have the Stinger with the brass (like above pic) with rosewood handles.. Beaver USA on one side and 920 stamped on the other.. John :D

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

deserttrans wrote:I was under the impression that Sonny Guiler, now deceased since 2000. Was the designer and maker on the Stinger knife. First made in southern Cal and then moved to Montana. Montana knives were marked Iron Mountain Knife Company. Earlier ones were marked under the Beaver logo.
Thank you for the correction! My memory is not what it used to be! These knives take an edge that you believe! I was talking with my granddaughter about it last night and thought I would test the edge. I last sharpened it about 25 years ago and it still shaves hair! I may be having second thoughts about selling......... Maybe!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Alright folks I have an update on this knife. Its from Sony Guiler's Wife. And reads as follows:

"Hello. I am Gerri Guiler -- Sonny's girlfriend and wife of over 20 years. He passed in 2000. This particular knife looks to be one that was made by Manuel Silva (The logo is pre-patent, and the serial number is handstamped). Manny was producing the knives when Sonny met him in San Diego in the 70's. Together, they applied for the patent and then began manufacturing the knives on our property up in Ramona, CA. Ultimately, we moved the business to Superior, MT (Sonny & Manny were still partners then), and the company was Beaver Knife Company. The partnership broke up about 1986-87, and Sonny & Manny continued to produce the knives with separate branding. Manny used the Beaver logo and Sonny used the Iron Mountain logo (and produced the knives in Sparks, NV). There are some double-stamped knives out there that have the Beaver logo on one side and Iron Mountain on the other. This is one of the early knives made of the 425 modified stainless, I believe."
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I wrote to Sonny's wife to thank her and sent the her following:
"
Thank you for writing me and providing some much needed information. This knife was purchased for me in Sparks over 30 years ago by my ex father in law . John was the photographer for the Nugget for many years before moving to Los Vegas. He has since passed away. He told me at the time that he was friends with the cutler that made it. But my memory isnt as good as it used to be! I will add your note to the bottom of my listing so that the correct history is available to all who look at my auction. I also would like to post your note to AAPK web site that is dedicated to knife collecting. We discussed this knife there before I listed it on eBay. This should provide a clear history on this knife model and "

Her reply says it all about my knife! I finally have its history down! She wrote back with the following:

Hi!!

I remember a fellow in the workshop next to us in Sparks who was named "Bud" and he was our photographer. My husband spent many hours at the Nugget......ahem! Probably the connection to your Father in Law. It could be that this blade was "stashed" from original inventory and sold when Sonny ran his business in Sparks. It was a contentious and confusing time when the partnership broke up and the inventory was divided up. I do know that the logo is the original Beaver Knife logo that Manny and Sonny used when they first partnered up. Later, the Beaver Logo included the patent number (primarily when we were in Superior, MT). You are welcome to post and pass on what I know as you see fit.

If the knife was purchased 30 years ago, that would be about 1987, which would have been right as the partnership was breaking up. That's probably a knife that was shaped & ground from a raw stamping by Beaver (Manny's nickname) and then finished in the Sparks shop by Sonny's knife maker -- Pat Cappiello -- a former Buck Knife employee. The timing would be about right.

That would amend my original thought that it was from the late 70's to making it closer to the early 1980's production and completion around 1987.

I recently shredded all the paperwork that listed serial numbers and who the knives were sold to over the years.

Good luck selling it! I think you have it priced about right!

-Gerri Guiler
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Some very useful information. Thanks to goldpan,for the research and posting.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
G. Hendrick

Post by G. Hendrick »

Hello from Superior Montana Home Of The Beaver Knives. This is my first time and post on this subject of Beaver Knives, I use to sell these knives all over the state of Mont., Ida., and Washington and I would like to say hi to Gerri, we miss you! Know for some info about the knives they were fabricated from 425- modified stainless steel for strength, durability and the finest of edges. Also available on a custom basis were knives made from high grade W-2 steel and other high carbon steels. these knives were fabricated with either small, medium or large grips. A wide variety of handle materials such as micarda, bone, ivory, many types of woods. Engraving, scrimshaw work and inlays were available. Each Beaver Knife came with a handmade leather sheath and some were custom made. I sold these back in the Eighties starting at 75.00 to 250.00 depending on the model and custom work. The number on the blade was the production number of that model. Each knife came with a box and paper work. I hope this will bring some light on this matter, and yes I still have love my Beaver Knives.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

::welcome:: G. Hendrick! Thanks you for posting your info on Beaver Knives! And welcome to AAPK!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thank You all for this info.. This (my) knife was kinda a mystery to me.. Thanks for sorting this all out!! John :D

G. Hendrick

Post by G. Hendrick »

Here is some additional information on Beaver Knives. Thanks for your quick response to my post.
Attachments
Beaver knives pic.jpg
Beaver knives text 2.jpg
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Yes some more great information on these knives. On the color page posted. Are the numbers near each knife representing a model number do you think?
Freedom Ain't FREE....
G. Hendrick

Post by G. Hendrick »

Yes, I do believe these were the model numbers. When the company moved out of Mt. in 86 or 87 their were a lot of blank blades left and some of the local knife makers bought them up so you will find the same blades with different makers marks on them such as Rapier,s Edge and Kelgin Knives. I found that these Knives were hard to use for gutting out large animals when the blade was held in the upside down so I helped design the three finger skinner which sold out and I did not save one for myself and know I can't find any. So much for hind sight!
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Thank you again for the information G.H. You have provided a lot of insight on these knives.
Freedom Ain't FREE....

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”