Bark River Knives?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Art In Colorado

Bark River Knives?

Post by Art In Colorado »

Any comments? Good or bad? Looks like they use several diffrent steels.
XX Case XX

Re: Bark River Knives?

Post by XX Case XX »

I don't own one myself, but everything I've ever heard or read says they are excellent knives. High quality. I don't think you could ever go wrong with Bark River. They're a bit on the expensive side but you'll get an outstanding knife.

If you want to see a good selection, go to: http://www.knivesshipfree.com ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Most people love them or hate them..I have a couple, they are ok. A lot of people don't like the owner Mike Stewart..has had some shady dealings in the past was original owner of BlackJack knives..it's a lot of here say I don't know the truth...all it takes is a Google search about "Mike Stewart BlackJack Knife"
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few Bark River knives and every one is total top notch in all regards. The most important factor in a knife is design. The Bark River knives fit in hand naturally and the blades are the right size and profile for the intended use. Wide variety of handle materials, always well finished and most attractive. All of mine arrived shaving sharp.
I cannot see how anyone could fail to appreciate these knives. I also have quite a few custom fixed blades in the $250-$700 range and the Bark River are every bit as good and a lot less expensive, most are under $300.
If you see one that speaks to you, then get it. Chances are very high that you will be completely happy with your new knife.
kj
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03913.JPG
DSC03835.JPG
Trailmate.. A-2 steel.. Blue C-Tek handle.. I like mine!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I am with KJ & John 100%....I have 3 of em and they are all top shelf quality
John, really like that Trailmate, looks like a Marble's Trailcraft only a bit
bigger and more heft to handle and blade, very nice...
I know when Mike was VP at Marble's and teamed up with president Craig Lauerman,
them knives made from 1998 to 2001 were some of the best I have ever seen for
price and blade steel

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I own three Bark River knives and think very highly of them. My favorite of the three is the Bravo 1. It's a heavy duty knife built to earn its keep. It also is very likely the sharpest knife I own. My opinion of Bark River knives is that they are the real deal. Below is a photo of one, but it is not mine.
Attachments
Bark River Bravo 1.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Some of the nicest knives for the money today. Also check out the Blackjack branded knives they currently are making these as well(Blackjack classic blades) Watch out on some. There made in china.
Eye Brand Collector
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Not too surprising that knives made by Bark River might remind a person of the old Marbles knives. When Marbles quit making knives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Gladstone), many of their artisans and craftsmen struck out on their own. And that is how Bark River came to be. Bark River makes their knives in Escanaba MI, Hess Knives makes their knives in Gladstone MI, and Rapid River Knives are made in Rapid River MI. All in Michigan's beautiful UP. And all have employees with Marbles history - back when Marbles were made with quality in the USA.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks Stag.. Fits my large paws fine!! :lol: John :D

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Following up on what 'hardman' says here are 2 knives i bought new in 2007-8 for the Bark River and 2008-9 for the Northwoods. The Bark River, 8 3/4" "Big Mountain Skinner", 52-100 steel & Blaze Orange G10, was a low price ebay score from before 'everybody' knew of BRK&T, as it was called back then. It is still my most special B.R. knife (have about 8). The grind is thin, edge is scary sharp and the point is the most extremely pointy of any knife i have had.
The Northwoods is a "TG-1", 9 1/2", saber grind convex to zero, 1095 steel, made in Gladstone Mich, one of about 30 made.
As you can see i have used both of these knives.
As per 'hardman' they are a late Northwoods Gladstone Mich. knife and an early Bark River Knife & Tool knife.
kj
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

For a box stock, plain jane this BR Gunny has impressed me. My only complaint are the sheath's, but to be honest I like very few factory sheath's.
Attachments
IMG_6412.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Very NICE Bob!! ::tu:: That's a LOOKER!!! ::nod:: John :D

WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank you John, it's become a favorite.
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Yes hardman...ya got that right..."The Golden Triangle" is what they call that
little slice of the UP with them 3 afore mentioned knife outfits grinding away up there !!!

Don't ya just love that Bravo pattern Phil, its a real cuttin machine, I know that

KJ- I really feel with some of the old BlackJack knives I have seen when Mike was there,,and,,
that orange one looks a lot like a radical Marble's Plainsman, bottom one a lot like a Marble's
Bison, you could have yourself a pair of Mike Stewart made knives there..
I know for a fact nearly 20 yrs ago jawing with a bunch of fella's from the UP at the Woverine knife show and that all were in the
Marble's Plus knife club, and all lived in the UP, they were telling me the story when Dave was gonna start Northwoods up,
he was wondering what to name it and Mike said how bout Northwoods Knives and it stuck from there
Them 2 sure look like Stewart made knives to me
thats my nickle's worth KJ

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Will, thank you. Your 'adventures' of 20 or so years ago are now giving us some needed info on the "Upper Peninsula" knives.
My orange G-10 knife is an early Bark River, not a Northwoods branded knife. Did Mike S. do any of the blade grinding in the early days of BRK&T ? Whomever did grind this blade did a masterful job.
kj
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Welder Bob...I can see why thats a fave of yours...only sheaths I care for
are the loop holster type sheaths with a keeper strap, ya can have the rest of em if you are gonna carry it

He mite have worked on some knives in the early stages KJ..till he got a crew in place starting up a company and all
Hard to say KJ

Wll
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I may be mistaken but in my researching Mr. Stewart, I do not have the impression that he was actually getting his hands dirty in the shop since his early days at Marbles.
He did a LOT of his own PR but i haven't seen anything stating that he was actively grinding knives after Marbles.
I am most likely mistaken, and if anyone knows more about this (shop work vs desk work) I would love to learn.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The best way to know at what times/places he was making knives is to ask him. An email to BRK "Attn Mike Stewart" should get to him. You might get a reply if you keep your message brief and to the point.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have a couple; I have not actually used them beyond coonfingering. The third knife I kind of put in the same category; it was recommended to me by Tank. Rest his soul.
aurora003.jpg
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Bark River sure does produce some very nice blades.

Very nice collection there Tongueriver.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”