Interesting Case Sheath Knife ~ Anyone Have any Information

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Mountain Man Knives

Interesting Case Sheath Knife ~ Anyone Have any Information

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

I seen this Case on ebay it has been their for a month or so and priced way below what a rare case demands ~ Anyone know anything about this knife and what them numbers and letters stand for ~ My first thought on this was a possible Lunch Pail ~ ?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Interesting Case Sheath Knife ~ Anyone Have any Information

Post by btrwtr »

Original early production Case fixed blade. This is a 601 pattern and as far as I know the only knife that Case used this script stamp out on the blade. Hard to find knife. Looks like a SSN and some other personal info scribed by a previous owner. The addition of the letters and numbers significantly reduces the value IMO.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

It's the real deal, this is out of Sargent's 6th. As for the numbers....?

Bob
Attachments
IMG_5702.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Wow ~ That is good to hear, I am glad I wasn't looking at a fake cause I thought it was pretty neat but was not 100% sure about the stamp being that this was the first time I ever seen this pattern fixed blade ~ sure has a low Value. I was Surprised about that, I would of thought something like this would of warranted a good amount more ~ they're only asking a buck and a quarter for it ~ its out there for anyone that is interested and would like to own it ~ Thank you for the verification and Information and need to get me more books one day that is for sure ~ I love this stuff ~ ::ds::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The number looks like a military service number;not enough digits for a Social Security number. The USA could stand for U.s.Army. The MCD might possibly be related to a Marine Construction Detachment;an outfit similar to the Navy SeaBees.Just speculation.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife7knut wrote:The number looks like a military service number;not enough digits for a Social Security number. The USA could stand for U.s.Army. The MCD might possibly be related to a Marine Construction Detachment;an outfit similar to the Navy SeaBees.Just speculation.
EDIT: If the number could be traced it might shed light on who J.S. was.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree - looks like a military serial number. It would be great to find out who owned it.

During WWII my dad carried a knife that was custom made and given to him by a friend from his hometown who was a machinist. His army serial number was stamped on the tang, and it had a custom-made leather sheath. Dad was wounded in the Agusan Valley on Mindanao. After he was evacuated and subsequently moved from hospital to hospital, neither the knife nor any of the rest of his personal belongings ever caught up with him. He spoke of that knife occasionally and for the remainder of his life always wanted to find it. He never did.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
mikek

Post by mikek »

If that was my knife the cracks in the handles would bother me more than the the previous owners stamping. It was common back in the day for guy's to put there ID marks on tools. Heck, maybe he cracked the scales stamping the blade. Just my take, Mike
I pay extra for patina
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

It is believed by many Case collectors that this model was contract made for Case by Utica as there are also may out there with the Utica mark on them. That one on ebay is severely worn, near mint-mint ones are very very hard to find.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”