Looking for advice or information please

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
SharonR

Looking for advice or information please

Post by SharonR »

Hi everyone. My father recently passed away and on clearing out his things I found this knife. Would anyone have any information or advice regarding its history, any value, what I should do with it?

The blade and hilt are engraved with "Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham, 82 Tenter Street Sheffield"

The blade cover is thick leather with brass top.

Thank you
Sharon.
Attachments
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Looking for advice or information please

Post by knife7knut »

Welcome to the forum Sharon! If that were my knife I would contact Bernard Levine in Oregon about an appraisal of your knife. He charges for the appraisals but I think you have a knife that is worth a considerable amount of money.
Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham according to most people was in business from 1825 to 1858 so that would likely make it pre Civil War era. A spear point bowie of that size and with the original sheath are all plus factors.It looks like the guard is bent and loose but I would not advise trying to straighten it or attempt to clean it in any way.
I'll see if I can locate his address and post it here for you.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
SharonR

Post by SharonR »

Thank you knife7knut - I appreciate your advice and knowledge. I would be grateful for any contact details you can find, particularly email as I am in the U.K.

Sharon.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

SharonR wrote:Thank you knife7knut - I appreciate your advice and knowledge. I would be grateful for any contact details you can find, particularly email as I am in the U.K.

Sharon.
I don't know if that will present a problem Sharon as Mr. Levine usually wants to see the knife in person for an appraisal.Shipping that knife to the USA could be problematic as to cost and legality(double edged knives are frowned upon here;especially by customs)and their tendency to disappear while in customs custody.
Here is his contact info;maybe you can just supply him with some good closeup photographs.

www.knife-expert.com.

Bernard R. Levine
Post Office Box 2404
Eugene Oregon 97402 USA
Telephone: 541-484-0294 and prefix the number with the USA country code.

Good luck and hope you find out some good information.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Sharon, I hope you don't mind that enhanced a couple of your pictures to make the markings easier to read. Thank you for sharing your old knife! Please do let us know what you might learn.
Attachments
Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham #1.jpg
Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham #2.jpg
SharonR

Post by SharonR »

Thank you, both of you. I will certainly let you know how I get on.

Sharon. :D
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Sharon, Knives like yours have considerable value and interest here in the states. It appears to be authentic and in good condition for it's age. The two previous posts have given you some good advise, if you decide to ship it to the states, insure it for your value given you by Bernard. Very nice! and good luck, Sincerely, Terry ::handshake::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Bernard did have an online appraisal service for $25 based on pictures. He can handle a sale for for 25% fee, based on past discussions.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”