Lamson & Goodnow Mfg. Co.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
outkast

Lamson & Goodnow Mfg. Co.

Post by outkast »

Ok I think I did really well with this Mail Call. Advertised on Ebay as "Vintage Fixed Blade Antler 10 Inch Hunting Knife". Through some eye straining and research I have identified the knife as a Lamson & Goodnow Hercules Bowie. Sadly Grinder Man and I assume the seller also did some extra damage to the knife. I didn't notice the "Hercules Etch" til later when showing the knife to my Dad and the light hit it just right. Now I can clearly see where someone scratched the blade trying to read it, makes me sick. I'm not 100% but do believe the guard may have been replaced as I can't find any similar and can't recall ever seeing a 2 piece guard like this. Please any info or opinions are welcome.
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 1.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 2.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 3.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 4.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 5.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 6.jpg
Lamson & Goodwin Hercules 7.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Lamson & Goodnow Mfg. Co.

Post by btrwtr »

I would say the guard has definitely been replaced. I've never seen anything other than the guards pictured in your ads on a L&G Hercules Bowie hunter. Great knife and very hard to find in any condition.

Here is one I've had for many years. Knife at bottom of picture.
Attachments
E1.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ErikMdvt

Post by ErikMdvt »

Hello Wayne,

I recently acquired a Lamson and Goodnow Hercules hunting knife and I was wondering if you had more information on it, or perhaps what publication it was sold in etc. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Erik
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ErikMdvt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:50 pm Hello Wayne,

I recently acquired a Lamson and Goodnow Hercules hunting knife and I was wondering if you had more information on it, or perhaps what publication it was sold in etc. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Erik
Hey Erik! I just wanted to point out that Wayne's last post was in 2017 so I don't know if you'll get a response. Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
ErikMdvt

Post by ErikMdvt »

Lol yeah I figured I'd throw the line out and see if anyone responded!

Thank you for the welcome, I have been lurking here for years but never bothered to sign up for some reason. I have oodles to share and talk about and love knife history and collecting knives, hoping to be a great member!!

Best,
Erik
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I can’t tell you much about these Hercules Bowie hunting knives other than they are very hard to find in any condition and are early knives. I don’t think they would have been made much past the 1920s. Lamson and Goodnow Co. was a prolific manufacturer of table, kitchen and butchering cutlery. Unlike the table and butcher knives made by them the hunting knives are only found in two different patterns that I know of.

Maybe someone else here might have more specific information.

Wayne

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ErikMdvt wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:40 pm Lol yeah I figured I'd throw the line out and see if anyone responded!

Thank you for the welcome, I have been lurking here for years but never bothered to sign up for some reason. I have oodles to share and talk about and love knife history and collecting knives, hoping to be a great member!!

Best,
Erik
Good to have you here bud, ::handshake:: and we're looking forward to your comments and PICTURES, we LOVE PICTURES! Mark! 8)
8)
ErikMdvt

Post by ErikMdvt »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:47 pm I can’t tell you much about these Hercules Bowie hunting knives other than they are very hard to find in any condition and are early knives. I don’t think they would have been made much past the 1920s. Lamson and Goodnow Co. was a prolific manufacturer of table, kitchen and butchering cutlery. Unlike the table and butcher knives made by them the hunting knives are only found in two different patterns that I know of.

Maybe someone else here might have more specific information.
Thank you Wayne! I will post up some pictures in a few days! Coincidentally there is a caretaker currently going through the buildings of the Lamson Goodnow Shelburne Falls property and selling off all the ephemera as new owners are renovating it.
They can be found on Ebay. Pretty neat! Ill get some good pics of my knife and share asap.

Best,
Erik
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

btrwtr wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 pm I would say the guard has definitely been replaced. I've never seen anything other than the guards pictured in your ads on a L&G Hercules Bowie hunter. Great knife and very hard to find in any condition.

Here is one I've had for many years. Knife at bottom of picture.
Beautiful knives Wayne, thanks for posting them ::tu::

Here's one I picked up a few months back , at the time I could not remember who made it but I knew I had seen it before then it came to me it was a Lamson, I was wondering if you're knife is tang stamped or etched?

My knife has no markings on the tang so I am assuming it was etched.
Attachments
Un1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice pick up MB. Yes, the blade on the knife I have is etched on the tang, not stamped.

Wayne

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”