A Few Fish Knives

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe

A Few Fish Knives

Post by kootenay joe »

Three of these knives are from Sears and are about 8". Two are marked "High Carbon Steel/U.S.A." and the third has a "Sta-Sharp" etch along with "Fish And Camp Knife" on the handle. Almost certainly made by Camillus.
I assume these are intended for gutting fish not cutting fillets ?
Do you know if this style of fish knife was sold before WW II ?

The knife with the fish etched handle i think says "Kinfolks" ? /USA Stainless. 2 chisel grind edges and the third edge is a scaler/scaper.
Can you explain the intention behind this blade size & shape ? Is it a gutting knife ? maybe just for opening up the belly ? like on a production line in a fish plant ?
How old might it be ?

Next is an interesting unused knife just under 9". Checkered wood handle and the blade has a sharpened top to the clip end.
The blade is stamped "Universal Made In U.S.A." so i assume Landers Frary & Clark ?
I once read a post or article showing a knife very similar to this one and stating it had some significance in early 1900's but i have forgotten what. Very early Marbles design ??
Does this 'ring a bell' for anyone ?
Was this a commercial knife ? or intended for personal use ? Here the blade is longer and a bit flexible so for gutting and filleting ?
If you know something about any of these knives please post.
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 014.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: A Few Fish Knives

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - I think the top three knives were bait knives, for cutting small fish into chunks or strips for bait. I had one similar to those once and if I recall correctly that is what it was sold as. Those do look like nice utilitarian knives, especially with the scaler on the back of the the blade.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bait knives. I don't fish, ya can't do it all. And i know zero about ocean fishing which i think is where you would be cutting up one fish to be bait for another fish.
Then likely the knife with fish on handle and short 'square' blade is also a bait cutting knife ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I like that LF&C the best, Roland. A number of cutleries made those, some with nice bone. I am too lazy to look it up, but one of our members posted a shocking magnificent collection of these knives here on AAPK maybe about one year ago, maybe two? I am not kidding; it was over the top. Somebody dredge that thread back up!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

That was me Cal, I have 9 different LF&C catalogs. I'll be home on Monday and will take a gander then.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”