Need help identifying

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Kaiserwilliam95

Need help identifying

Post by Kaiserwilliam95 »

I received this knife from my uncle and he received it from his father after he died. My uncle gave it to me and encouraged me to research and learn everything I can about it. According to my uncle the knife hadn't been moved from a drawer in 20 years and that was almost 20 years ago. On the blade it reads "Case" Nothing more nothing less. On the sheath it reads "Case-XX" I'm guessing it belonged to a different blade at one time. although I might be mistaken. I can tell out that my grandfather was in the Korean war, but I'm not sure if that will be relevant. Its blade measures at 5 inches and the total length is at about 8 3/4 inches.Ive seen a few that look like it, but have failed to found one with the same pattern of striping. If anyone out there recognizes it, I'd appreciate any and all feed back. Primarily I'm looking for its age, its primary use, and it if it was military issue.
Attachments
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help identifying

Post by philco »

Below is a link to the tang stamps page on the Case College website. Since you're supposed to be researching this, I'll let you match up your knife's tang stamp to those show in order to determine the time frame in which it was made.

http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/tang_stamps/

To the best of my knowledge (which is sadly quite limited) these knives were not ever issued by the military.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Kasierwilliam95,
::welcome:: to AAPK!
The great knife you have is a Case hunting knife. I'm not up on the model numbers of Case fixed blades.
The manufacturer was W.R.Case & Sons Cutlery Co. Bradford, Pa. The XX on the sheath is part of the Case logo. The XX goes way back in their history.
The handle material is stacked leather which is still being used today along with other materials.
Your knife is probably not a military issue but could have still been carried by your grandfather while in the military. Someone on the forum will probably be able to date your knife to a certain time period which might line up with the Korean War.
Ebay might also reveal some information by comparison of other Case XX hunting knives.
Hope this helps you as you gather info on a special knife.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I believe your knife is a Case 315-5 model. According to the chart that philco attached it is 1940-1965 manufacture. Looking at the knife that would be reasonable although 1940 might be a little early. Very nice looking knife and a harder to find tang stamp.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice looking Case knife, in my opinion, it sure could have been carried by your grandfather in the Korean war but not a issue knife, it would have been a "private purchase". Only the knife could tell us for sure. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”