Who made this WG knife?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Curiouslycat

Who made this WG knife?

Post by Curiouslycat »

I found this knife my great grandpa own. It was in his model T parts! My Grandpa and I are curious about it. Any information would be great. Thanks.
Attachments
Full knife
Full knife
Knife marking
Knife marking
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Who made this WG knife?

Post by terryl308 »

Looks home made to me, maybe an early Wayne Goddard knife although the stamp doesn't look quite right. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Welcome to AAPK.
Your knife does not look like any production knife i have ever seen (which is many), nor does the "W" resemble any maker's mark i know of. Hence i agree with above post: it most likely is a home made knife. The blade likely came from a production knife and was then owner-modified and made into this knife. It takes quite a lot of skill & experience to grind a blade out of a piece of bar stock steel. However many men have been able to modify an existing blade & make a handle & fasten them together.
However with knives there often is more than one opinion as to the origin and the true facts usually remain unknown.
kj
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

It looks shop made and the stamp looks like it was done with a set of the letters you can but to mark your tools. During WW2 and for years after guys were making these and even some high school shops were teaching and encouraging kids to make these. Farmers sometimes made their knives instead of spending good money on things they could make themselves. In past years kids grew up knowing how to do stuff like this. Today they pretty much know how to type on a phone or computer. ____Dave

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”