Cleaning up another of Dad's knives

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
WV Papaw

Cleaning up another of Dad's knives

Post by WV Papaw »

This is the second old knife of my Dad's I decided to clean up. I remember him giving this one to me when I was about 8-years old as a hunting knife. It's been stored in the sheath for probably close to 40 years, a bad thing I know now. I only sprayed it with WD40, let it soak about 20 minutes, then wiped it down with paper towels before using steel wool, a brass brush and a No. 2 pencil to clean it up, no sanding this time. It still has an edge but not very sharp. I'm not figuring on doing much else except maybe some Simichrome and a coat of wax maybe.

EDIT: The photos posted out of order for some reason.
Attachments
Edge Brand, Solingen, Germany, 487
Edge Brand, Solingen, Germany, 487
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
Greg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cleaning up another of Dad's knives

Post by Colonel26 »

Ya done good! Looks great and imo no more cleaning needed. That's a great treasure since it was given to you by your dad. Plus those old Solingen fixed blades were great knives to boot.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Bataan

Post by Bataan »

Nice work, WV...dad would be proud! I could not imagine just tossing out a knife given to me by my father. I still have my old Scout knife he gave me and a WWII samurai sword he took from a Japanese enemy who refused to commit hari-kari as their Bushido code demanded! Never let go.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Edge Brand was an import line of Gutmann Cutlery, first from Germany & later Japan. Gutmann used quality manufacturers for his knives but it's hard to know exactly which manufacturer made which knives.
Your knife was likely made in 1950's-1960's, maybe early '70's.
kj
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to lightly oil it and store it safely and properly away. I'm really glad to have gotten it back into a decent shape and stopped its deteriorating.

I'm pretty sure it was Dad's before he gave it to me, so not brand new. That would've been around 1975-1976 so I'm thinking it from the late 60s.
Greg

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”