Cleaver

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
joebig

Cleaver

Post by joebig »

Picked up this cleaver today. Has F. Dick with an arrow and made in Germany with No84 on on one side and "Schliff gut Falsch" and 4X72 on the other. Any of our German members care to translate? Also, any idea of age? Thanks.
Here are some pics:
Attachments
cleaver2.jpg
cleaver3.jpg
cleaver1.jpg
cleaver4.jpg
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cleaver

Post by treefarmer »

joebig,
Don't know anything about your cleaver except that's really neat! What are the blade deminisons? Would love to find a large commercial size cleaver to use now and then. All I have ever seen at the flea markets are the little ones for the kitchen.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Very nice Joe ::tu::

Google translation.......Well cut Wrong...??

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
joebig

Post by joebig »

basser5 wrote:Very nice Joe ::tu::

Google translation.......Well cut Wrong...??

Tim
After your post I goolged it too. One translation is forged but I believe it would be like "hand forged" as opposed to counterfeit. That would seem to make more sense but maybe someone knows for sure.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Don't know German, but you have a very desirable name in cutlery with the F. Dick.
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

treefarmer wrote:joebig,
Would love to find a large commercial size cleaver to use now and then.
Like this? 31.5 inches overall. Very nice for filleting crappies.

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

There you go tongueriver ::tu:: ! Hadn't thought about cleanin' fish with a large cleaver ::hmm:: . When we cook pork ribs we always buy the untrimmed plates and I then separate the ribs before they are marinated overnight in the "secret sauce". Most are separated easily with a butcher knife, finding the joints in the bone, but toward the front of the plate,(brisket area) a heavy cleaver would make it a lot easier to make the separation as that area bone doesn't have the same configuration. I don't think Momma would allow a cleaver with a 31" length in her kitchen ::uc:: . I've seen some old antique cleavers with maybe a 10-12" long blade that were made of 1/4" steel, with an adequate handle, that would be just right for work such as I mentioned.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
joebig

Post by joebig »

tongueriver wrote:
treefarmer wrote:joebig,
Would love to find a large commercial size cleaver to use now and then.
Like this? 31.5 inches overall. Very nice for filleting crappies.

That's a beauty!!!!
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice cleavers guys.
Tongueriver, I can see how a good two handed sweep across the belly of a perfectly dead crappy would feelay the hell out of em.

Here's my only cleaver plus a Chinese chef knife that could be thought of as a cleaver. A really nice kitchen tool, by the way.
Of course Russell is going to give you that nice tapered tang. It tapers toward the front of the blade too, but I didn't get that.
Attachments
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
Joe
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I see this is a old post. Just picked a No. 98 9 X 66 F. Dick cleaver. she said it belonged to her grandfather. made in Germany would mean before the Berlin wall?
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is an oddball knife I bought years ago only because it was unique. Etched,"Englishtown Crafts" the raised front portion of the spine is flattened so it may be hammered on to cut through tough areas.It is also 1/4" thick at that spot.
Attachments
EnglishtownCrafts1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

interesting odd ball. here are a couple of pictures. I also got two knife steels and two butcher knives for $1.00 each. It was good that she told me she would have the cleaver in her moving sale. and got their in time. :D
Attachments
P1000303.jpg
P1000304.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

joebig wrote:Picked up this cleaver today. Has F. Dick with an arrow and made in Germany with No84 on on one side and "Schliff gut Falsch" and 4X72 on the other. Any of our German members care to translate? Also, any idea of age? Thanks.
Here are some pics:
My German daughter in law and grace says that it is a brand name. That it doesn't translate to anything that makes sense. Hence a brand name. A cool clever non the less. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

doglegg wrote:"Schliff gut Falsch" Any of our German members care to translate?
Google translate says "CUT GOOD WRONG." Funny.

Also: http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bi ... pview=hide

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”