Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by tongueriver »

Welcome, Wally! You are certainly off to a good start with your knives and with the forum here. I have a family member in Hennepin, Illinois and have spent some hours in the china shop in Princeton. In fact I closed on my Montana house thirty years ago with a telephone in a bank in Princeton. Right near there is the biggest oldest white oak tree in Illinois, @ Babb. Well worth a look.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thank You Mr TR! I've been to Hennepin many times, and You were probably in Citizen's Bank on Main Street. Very nice to meet You. Princeton is a very special little town. When I grew up there, it was just Princeton. Now, when I go home I see just what a beautiful place it is. I gave a kidney to a good friend back home about 12 years ago, and I almost couldn't leave. Anyway, Thank You, and I'll be looking forward to hearing from You on here! ::handshake:

Also, I have one of the biggest Black Walnut trees in New York State. At least once a month someone stops in and wants to buy my tree. There are about 40 3" table tops before You get up to the huge cluster of branches. That spot would REALLY make some cool tops. It' about 40 feet from the road, and branches hang over the road. One guy offered me $750 and I almost laughed in his face, but I minded my manners!
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

That certainly is a beautiful knife, Wally! :shock: Great way to make an entrance! ::clapping:: ::tu:: Welcome to the forum.
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thanks a million bigfoot! This is a place jam-packed with good folks and a ton of information. I hope to fit in. As You well know, being the buyer is the easy part. Tim Withers, my friend who is the knifemaker deserves all of the credit. He's a plumbing contractor who makes knives as a hobby at present. He's so busy plumbing that he isn't taking any orders.
In January, he is going to start making folders, and I will get probably #2 because I'm sure that he'll keep the first one. I will definitely be getting Mammoth Scales from Mark Knapp for that one too. I know that he has made one folder, and he said that it "went well". If it went well, I cannot wait to get mine. Tim is The Man for sure. If he didn't have four teenage daughters nearing college time, I may talk him into being a full-time knifemaker. He's a self-proclaimed excessive-compulsive, and if You hold one of his knives, You can see that he may be telling the truth about that.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Wally Taylor wrote:Thanks a million bigfoot! This is a place jam-packed with good folks and a ton of information. I hope to fit in. As You well know, being the buyer is the easy part. Tim Withers, my friend who is the knifemaker deserves all of the credit. He's a plumbing contractor who makes knives as a hobby at present. He's so busy plumbing that he isn't taking any orders.
In January, he is going to start making folders, and I will get probably #2 because I'm sure that he'll keep the first one. I will definitely be getting Mammoth Scales from Mark Knapp for that one too. I know that he has made one folder, and he said that it "went well". If it went well, I cannot wait to get mine. Tim is The Man for sure. If he didn't have four teenage daughters nearing college time, I may talk him into being a full-time knifemaker. He's a self-proclaimed excessive-compulsive, and if You hold one of his knives, You can see that he may be telling the truth about that.
Well he certainly doesn't need an ad agency with friends like you. I'm ready to order one! ::rotflol:: I think you'll find that collectors here are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience. That has been my experience since joining. You'll have to show us a picture of that folder when you get it.
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Hopefully this one is in the mail; it has a long way to go; wish it luck.

Bulgarian KnifeMaker Todor Hristov.
Steel - N690 58-60 HRC.
OAL - 240 mm (~9,45").
Blade - 120Х21Х4mm (~4,72x0.83x0.16") rhombic grind.
Blade finish - p 800.
Handle – Stabilized alder burl and brass.
Leather sheath with wooden inlay.
b5.jpg
b10.jpg
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

That is a beautiful blade, and the Burl is awesome. Really nice knife!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I bought a puukko from Todor a couple of years ago, absolutely top workmanship and hair poppin' edge. There are a few very skilled knife makers in Eastern European countries that are now posting their work on North American websites.
Calvin, please post back when you have the knife in hand.
kj
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

I got the sheath, and added Woolly Mammoth art back from Ron Skaggs today. I think that Tim Withers did a great job of making the pocket frame and Ivory bar. Ron knocked it out of the park. That guy can do anything! Anyway, here it is.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Fabulous tusk there Wally. Congrats. Exceptional. Welcome to the club.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey tr.. That is SCHWEEETTT!!! ::drool:: ::drool:: ::tu:: ::drool:: ::drool::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thanks Ivoryman! I got the scales from Mark Knapp out of Fairbanks. I looked everywhere trying to find Mammoth Ivory large enough to do it. He has beautiful Mammoth Ivory, and all aged at least a year. Happy New Year IM!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Excellent work, Wally; very beautiful. ::tu::
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Wally Taylor wrote:I got the sheath, and added Woolly Mammoth art back from Ron Skaggs today. I think that Tim Withers did a great job of making the pocket frame and Ivory bar. Ron knocked it out of the park. That guy can do anything! Anyway, here it is.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Nice! I like it! ::tu::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I been lusting after one of these for a while, but as Blackjack is out of business they're get kind of scarce.
Blackjack Tac-ops 6. Scary sharp, this knife is all business, it was definitely worth the wait. ::ds::
Attachments
Blackjack tac-ops 6.jpg
Blackjack tac-ops 6 (2).jpg
Blackjack tac-ops 6 (3).jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thanks Ken. That's a real beauty You have there. Really nice!
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Sendero-style
Made by Felipe Reis from Brasil.
20181229_150158.jpg
Erwin
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I like both knives- understated elegance and very functional. Does it say OVB (our very best) on the one tang? The other items in the picture are interesting as well.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Awesome Blades Bigbore!
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Yes, the smaller knife is the Camillus OVB (Our Very Best) version of the Jerry Fisk Sendero.

I own the Camillus for long but always wanted a smaller ricasso on it.

(there is also a new factory-made version of the Sendero by White River avilable)

The coins are cheap chinese fakes.
Erwin
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Cool Knives Bigbore! Did You buy Your coins on Ali Baba?
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Wally Taylor.
Wally, that Mammoth Ivory knife is exquisite. Actually, it is the nicest knife i have seen for a long time. Your friend has a remarkable talent as a knifemaker and you are very fortunate to be the custodian of such a wonderful piece of cutlery. The sheath is not too shabby either.
Welcome to the Forum...man, you have hit the ground running with that set.
Tony. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::dang::
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

THX Wally, yes Ali.Exp.
Erwin
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Schradenut wrote:Wally Taylor.
Wally, that Mammoth Ivory knife is exquisite. Actually, it is the nicest knife i have seen for a long time. Your friend has a remarkable talent as a knifemaker and you are very fortunate to be the custodian of such a wonderful piece of cutlery. The sheath is not too shabby either.
Welcome to the Forum...man, you have hit the ground running with that set.
Tony. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::dang::
Thanks much Schrade. I love that knife too. I am and have been a Schrade Walden man for 40 years. Here is my old buddy, a Schrade Walden 283, and a 283 I just picked up. For years, I thought my knife was a 233, and I looked for a nice one for a long time. Then I got out my 10X loupe, and bygolly, it was a 283! It took me 5 minutes to find a Schrade Walden 283, NOS FOR $39. Live and learn. I like my old one best, as it says SCHRADE WALDEN on the shield. I found it in a washing machine at a laundromat in Pendleton Oregon in 1982, and it has been in my pocket ever since.
I actually tried to locate the owner. I put a paper up in the laundromat, and four people called, but no one could describe it. At least I tried. Like You, I am a Schrade nut!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

bigbore wrote:THX Wally, yes Ali.Exp.
I thought I had seen them in Ali Express. Man, You can buy anything there. Happy New Year Everyone!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”