Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by ken98k »

mrwatch wrote:New about 2014 by Michelle Johnson. Damascus blade, guard and pommel. blade 7.5 overall 12.5 inches. wood and camel bone.
Awesome!
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

If you like big ones this Bark River V-44 bowie is a handful of knife.
Attachments
IMG_6471.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Bob...ya got yourself a real stunner there !!!
That is just gorgeous !!!
That V-44 is also steeped in history...

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank's Will, the guys at Bark River did a excellent job on the blade grind, it's not easy to do on a large knife.
The grip while not a original copy feels good, overall I like their rendition of the V-44.... :D
Bob

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Yes, the Bark River is a beautiful knife. ::tu::

Now for my soapbox rant. :x

"They" may call it a V44 but it is not a rendition of a V44. It is a "rendition" of a Collins #18 Machete Pequeno.

Here is the one and only V44

Here is the original #18 (1930s) in green horn. Later versions and the WW2 authorized copies by Case and Western had black bakelite handles

These machetes were in the AAF and Navy Survival seat packs.

AFTER WW2 was over, the terms V44 and "Marine Raider Bowie" were assigned to the blades by well-meaning but uninformed writers. Yes, ONE Marine Raider Battalion ordered about 2000 of them and used them for ONE landing/battle, but the Marines never ordered a 2nd batch of them at any level of organization, much less Raider Battalions.

Soapbox rant off.

We now return you to your regular fixed blade thread. :mrgreen:
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thanks ZZ...I just read Frank Trzaska's article "V-44, or is it?" Now I understand... ::nod::
Bob

stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Mike Stewart owner of Bark River Knives, gives a short promo on the V-44
and tells the same story the pattern coming from a machete.......

BOB...ya know why I know that ??? Cause after seeing yours, I got to
lookin at em to buy one for my own damm self.....see what ya started now
Bob, gonna cost me some money ya are... I just got to get one ::facepalm::
there is not that many out there I mite add

Will
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Now I am really confused Bob...got to looking at W-44...W-49
Case XX Bowies with stag handles, cannot figure out which I like
the best,, several different Bowies out there that all appeal to me ??? ::shrug::

Will
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

So far, and to date, those Stone knives have my vote as "Best in Show".
I have never seen a blade "flow" like them, and I pride myself on spotting the Golden Ratio in all things.

WIKI
In mathematics, two quantities are in the golden ratio if their ratio is the same as the ratio of their sum to the larger of the two quantities. The figure on the right illustrates the geometric relationship. Expressed algebraically, for quantities a and b with a > b > 0,

Reality for us big word challenged... The space between features. If a line is split in half, no one notices it. If the line is split on the ratio, it is attractive to people. Everything DaVinci did in his later life was devoted to this "rule". Sharks, Tuna, butterfly-s are based on it. Beautiful people are based on it, and I believe that Mr. Stone knew this ratio.
Jus'sayin'
Attachments
330px-Golden_ratio_line.svg.png
330px-Golden_ratio_line.svg.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Will, In all fairness you have showed some nice Marbles that have caused me to go hunting for more Woodcrafts... :lol:
Anyway after learning more on the origin of the V-44 I should have got another one, but they did go fast.
I've looked at some Case and Collins and while they are nice knives the Western is the one I like, and of course the hardest to find.. ::facepalm::

I liked Mike Stewart's comment "This is not a knife for sissy's"..... ::tu::
Bob

Producer

Post by Producer »

americanedgetech wrote:So far, and to date, those Stone knives have my vote as "Best in Show".
I have never seen a blade "flow" like them, and I pride myself on spotting the Golden Ratio in all things.

WIKI
In mathematics, two quantities are in the golden ratio if their ratio is the same as the ratio of their sum to the larger of the two quantities. The figure on the right illustrates the geometric relationship. Expressed algebraically, for quantities a and b with a > b > 0,

Reality for us big word challenged... The space between features. If a line is split in half, no one notices it. If the line is split on the ratio, it is attractive to people. Everything DaVinci did in his later life was devoted to this "rule". Sharks, Tuna, butterfly-s are based on it. Beautiful people are based on it, and I believe that Mr. Stone knew this ratio.
Jus'sayin'
Uh< o.k.
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
Producer

Post by Producer »

WelderBob wrote:Will, In all fairness you have showed some nice Marbles that have caused me to go hunting for more Woodcrafts... :lol:
Anyway after learning more on the origin of the V-44 I should have got another one, but they did go fast.
I've looked at some Case and Collins and while they are nice knives the Western is the one I like, and of course the hardest to find.. ::facepalm::

I liked Mike Stewart's comment "This is not a knife for sissy's"..... ::tu::
I liked Mike Stewart's comment "This is not a knife for sissy's"..... ::tu::[/quote]
Get a Ontario 18" machete and save yourself some money.
Former surveyor and line cutter.
To each his own.
Western Knive enthusiast.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Just finished this one up, got inspired by the trout and bird knife subject. This one is a little too big maybe (8 1/4") but it is still small. I put sambar stag on it for a handle and made the blade out of my old stand by O-1 tool steel. thanks for looking, Terry
Attachments
DSC_1268.JPG
DSC_1269.JPG
DSC_1270.JPG
DSC_1271.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Definitely a fine looking knife. Some don't favor a guard on a smaller knife, like the Scandanavians. But I do, especially the lower single guard.Congratulations ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I am showing off one of my fixed blades and at the same time I hope every one gets a good laugh out of it too. Pictured is a knife that belonged to my dad. He got this back in 1964 by subscribing to Guns & Ammo magazine, which was one of the most widely read shooting publications back in the day. For those of you too young to remember him, Elmer Keith was instrumental in the development of the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum cartridges and was considered the "Dean of American Gunwriters" during much of his lifetime. The photos show the knife I own with the sheath and a photo of an ad from the February 1964 Guns & Ammo issue. At that time for $9.00 you could get 2 years of G & A AND THE KNIFE! The only marking anywhere on the knife is the tang stamp "JAPAN". I also have in my archives many letters that dad had written to various gun companies and gunwriters with questons on products and reloading. Most of the time the PRESIDENT!! of the company would answer your letter himself, and sign it. I have letters signed by many well known people in the firearm industry in the 1940"s and 1950"s including Elmer Keith. I don't think these knives are at all rare or valuable, but the story that goes with may be interesting. Hope everyone gets their laugh for the day on the prices in 1964.
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

OC, I for one know about Elmer Kieth, I met him and his wife at the 1980 NRA convention in K.C . Mo. He always wore a giant Stetson hat and never smiled much. About a year ago Julia's Auction house in Maine sold his handguns and personal gun related items, there was one of the huge knives on the sale also. I believe he designed the knife. He liked everything BIG! Thanks for posting the knife, ::handshake:: Terry Also if you get the chance, read his life story in the book, Hell I Was There. Really interesting to say the least.
Attachments
DSC_1272.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Producer

Post by Producer »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I am showing off one of my fixed blades and at the same time I hope every one gets a good laugh out of it too. Pictured is a knife that belonged to my dad. He got this back in 1964 by subscribing to Guns & Ammo magazine, which was one of the most widely read shooting publications back in the day. For those of you too young to remember him, Elmer Keith was instrumental in the development of the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum cartridges and was considered the "Dean of American Gunwriters" during much of his lifetime. The photos show the knife I own with the sheath and a photo of an ad from the February 1964 Guns & Ammo issue. At that time for $9.00 you could get 2 years of G & A AND THE KNIFE! The only marking anywhere on the knife is the tang stamp "JAPAN". I also have in my archives many letters that dad had written to various gun companies and gunwriters with questons on products and reloading. Most of the time the PRESIDENT!! of the company would answer your letter himself, and sign it. I have letters signed by many well known people in the firearm industry in the 1940"s and 1950"s including Elmer Keith. I don't think these knives are at all rare or valuable, but the story that goes with may be interesting. Hope everyone gets their laugh for the day on the prices in 1964.
IMG_1766.JPG^^^^^^ OP[OLDE CUTLER]
What a great knife forum post!

IMG_1767.JPG
Thanks for this and others posts regarding this topic.
Fantastic.
^^^^^^ OP[OLDE CUTLER]
What a great knife forum post!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OC, that is a great collectable.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

In the reply letter Elmer Keith sent to my dad, which is dated January 19, 1956, his last paragraph of the letter is:
"S & W are now just coming out with a new magnum 44 Spl and expect it will be announced ere too long. Remington is making the ammunition. This is to be the finest gun they have ever produced."

So in other words the 44 magnum had not yet been announced to the public when Elmer Keith mentioned it to my dad in this letter. The cartridge did not yet even have its eventual formal name, the 44 Magnum. I have Keiths book, "Sixguns". Some very good reading in that one too!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great thread. If anyone wants a look-up and can pinpoint an issue, I have EVERY issue of The National Rifleman Magazine from February 1946 through December 1976, with 1966 and 1967 missing.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Summer memory...
Attachments
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4466.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very pleasant colorful photos.The knife appears ideal for the food preparation.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Thank you! I made it just for the kitchen. Steel 1.4112 (440B), 58 HRC.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Eustace
That kitchen knife is really nice!! What is the wood handle material?
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:Eustace
That kitchen knife is really nice!! What is the wood handle material?
Thank you! Walnut root.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”