Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an older substantial fixed blade, 12 1/4" marked "Wilbert Cutlery Co./Quality Guaranteed".
kj
Edit to add:
In Sept 2000 Knife World, Mark Zalesky wrote an article titled "Marble's Rarest Knife ?" It is a very similar looking "Camp or Kitchen Knife" with a 7" blade that was pictured in the Marbles catalogs 1903-1906 .
This Wilbert has a 6 3/4" blade but they look so similar to wonder if both were made by the same manufacturer
Attachments
IMGP6434.JPG
IMGP6435.JPG
IMGP6436.JPG
IMGP6437.JPG
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

That's a nice old hunting/Bowie style knife. I'll bet that skinned a few animals "back in the day".
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great knives TR and KJ!

My friend and ABS Master Smith made this one for me,

Russ Andrews gentlemen bowie, W2 core, Ti and damascus spacers and damascus butt cap, damascus Sam Browne stud
aapkRAMS.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roland that is a truly wicked looking old knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
MM another beauty we have come to expect from you. ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not usually go for larger fixed blades but the Andrews Bowie is exceptional ! Just the right amount of embellishment to add interest but still fit in with the 'flow'. The extra work on the bolster (collar ?) is exquisite, as is the shape of the guard. Stag is not bad either :mrgreen:
MM your Bowie is a 100% Home Run and as you know, not all customs turn out to be 'just right'.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I have been lusting after a Ram's Horn knife for quite awhile. I got this one today. Here is what I know. It is a Canal Street Cutlery Drop Point Hunter designed by D'holder. The tang, blade, and bolster are all one piece. I think that is kinda cool. It feels great in my hand. I think the Ram's Horn is really nice too. The knife has a super clean look since it has nothing stamped on the tang, blade, or bolster. Here are a few pictures
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Larry, you sure picked a knice one with beautiful handles. Way to go! ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

boykinip, A very refined, even elegant, fixed blade. Congrats!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

boykinlp wrote:I have been lusting after a Ram's Horn knife for quite awhile. I got this one today. Here is what I know. It is a Canal Street Cutlery Drop Point Hunter designed by D'holder. The tang, blade, and bolster are all one piece. I think that is kinda cool. It feels great in my hand. I think the Ram's Horn is really nice too. The knife has a super clean look since it has nothing stamped on the tang, blade, or bolster. Here are a few pictures
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Larry, I have admired that Canal Street knife for years. Very nice looking.
Here is my latest fixed blade. It’s a Paragon by Tommy Lee. Made in Seki Japan. I bought this knife unfinished and then bought this exotic hardwood to handle it with. Just got it back from Muskrat Man. Really happy with this one. I thought the colors were interesting on this one. I have two other Paragons and both have black Micarta handles, just wanted to change it up a bit.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Paragon FB's are great blades. Kaleb did a masterful job with these handles !
kj
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Hi
First: Thanks for all comments on my pictures,
Second: Thanks to all for showing so much beautiful and outstanding knives
Third: Newest knife is made by Dan Graves
20190405_121746.jpg
Attachments
20190405_101717.jpg
Erwin
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beauty !
kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great looking knives folks! Dan builds a great knife, Erwin, congrats.

Thanks doglegg and KJ
kootenay joe wrote: The extra work on the bolster (collar ?) is exquisite, as is the shape of the guard.
as you know, not all customs turn out to be 'just right'.
KJ, Russ usually uses a ferrule, for this one I asked to use spacers, 2 different thickness Ti, 2 anodized and fileworked. Russ has not used Ti spacers before, and he says he still prefers building them with a ferrule. Very true that not all customs come out the way one expects. I turned down a feather damascus folder that Bruce Bump made for me, he used stag that I would not have chosen. Most makers give me pics of the stag they have so I can decide for myself.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

bigbore wrote:Hi
First: Thanks for all comments on my pictures,
Second: Thanks to all for showing so much beautiful and outstanding knives
Third: Newest knife is made by Dan Graves

20190405_121746.jpg
I love the DG knives; I have three. Do you know, Bigbore, whether the ferrule on your example is sterling silver or 'other'? It looks like sterling from here.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would love to have the Bruce Bump folder. I think that was likely some years ago ? I chatted with Bruce numerous times trying to get him to make "Sheffield Exhibition" type folding knives. After making a few folding knives (i have #007), Bruce said he did not feel called to folding knives and much preferred to make Bowie style knives.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I only have three full custom knives whereby the entire knife was made from scratch by one man, unless I count the Ruana knives, made variously by four different gentleman over the years. So this is one of them, a JUNIOR SMITH submission to the Guild by Josh Fisher. I plan on contacting him again if I can ever stop buying knives long enough to get up a coffee can full of money. This knife says 'understated elegance' to me and that is what I like (but, of course, that is not the ONLY thing I like :lol: ).
fisherfighter.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tongueriver, I bet that coffee can was full of bills and not coins. That is indeed an absolutely beautiful knife. Clean lines and just enough embellishments. And the handle is gorgeous. Easy to see why you would like another one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

[/quote]
I love the DG knives; I have three. Do you know, Bigbore, whether the ferrule on your example is sterling silver or 'other'? It looks like sterling from here.[/quote]

Thanks

His words: "Fittings are nickel silver and a nice cut of Sambar India stag that is good for right or left hand. I made the Damascus out of 1084 (from Aldo) and 15n20 steel. It is a chevron pattern. Blade has a good distal taper that starts above the drop of the point. Blade length is 4 1/4 inches and overall length is 8 3/4inches. "
Erwin
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

tongueriver,As soon as I saw the photo the word elegant came to mind. But then I saw you already utilized that. So I'll settle for beautiful. The crisp lines stand out. A splendid blade.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the kind words from the gentlemen who show some wonderful knives!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Here's a 17" Bowie that's coming from DK Only Knives. If you have difficulty downloading the picture it is A45 on the DK Only Knives website. (12" blade, 5" stacked brown/black handle with steel pommel and "U" brass guards). ::tu::

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great looking bowie Toungeriver! I like frame handles. J.S. is a Journeyman status, ABS goes Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master.
Pat Stanley

Post by Pat Stanley »

I found these 3 in my Dads collection a few mo. back. 2ea. I. Wilson and 1, Thomas Gunn Ltd. Not a whole lot of recent info on these that I could find. Lots of historical stuff. These 3 seem to be unused showing some scratches from improper storage. On the link below is some info. From The blog post: "Wilson butcher knives were made until about 1970, when thousands of unused examples were dumped on the collector market." Maybe these were part of this "dump". The '60,s-'80,s were the heyday of my fathers collecting. Any Idea of thee value?

http://familyhistorywithalookingglass.b ... nives.html

Thanks for looking
Attachments
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Jerry Halfrich "Jack Russell" in old growth Redwood burl and M4 at RC 62. Paul Long sheath.
aapkJHJR.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Now that is a very handsome combo Montanaman.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”