Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by tongueriver »

I only have three full custom knives whereby the entire knife was made from scratch by one man, unless I count the Ruana knives, made variously by four different gentleman over the years. So this is one of them, a JUNIOR SMITH submission to the Guild by Josh Fisher. I plan on contacting him again if I can ever stop buying knives long enough to get up a coffee can full of money. This knife says 'understated elegance' to me and that is what I like (but, of course, that is not the ONLY thing I like :lol: ).
fisherfighter.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tongueriver, I bet that coffee can was full of bills and not coins. That is indeed an absolutely beautiful knife. Clean lines and just enough embellishments. And the handle is gorgeous. Easy to see why you would like another one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

[/quote]
I love the DG knives; I have three. Do you know, Bigbore, whether the ferrule on your example is sterling silver or 'other'? It looks like sterling from here.[/quote]

Thanks

His words: "Fittings are nickel silver and a nice cut of Sambar India stag that is good for right or left hand. I made the Damascus out of 1084 (from Aldo) and 15n20 steel. It is a chevron pattern. Blade has a good distal taper that starts above the drop of the point. Blade length is 4 1/4 inches and overall length is 8 3/4inches. "
Erwin
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

tongueriver,As soon as I saw the photo the word elegant came to mind. But then I saw you already utilized that. So I'll settle for beautiful. The crisp lines stand out. A splendid blade.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the kind words from the gentlemen who show some wonderful knives!
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Here's a 17" Bowie that's coming from DK Only Knives. If you have difficulty downloading the picture it is A45 on the DK Only Knives website. (12" blade, 5" stacked brown/black handle with steel pommel and "U" brass guards). ::tu::

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great looking bowie Toungeriver! I like frame handles. J.S. is a Journeyman status, ABS goes Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master.
Pat Stanley

Post by Pat Stanley »

I found these 3 in my Dads collection a few mo. back. 2ea. I. Wilson and 1, Thomas Gunn Ltd. Not a whole lot of recent info on these that I could find. Lots of historical stuff. These 3 seem to be unused showing some scratches from improper storage. On the link below is some info. From The blog post: "Wilson butcher knives were made until about 1970, when thousands of unused examples were dumped on the collector market." Maybe these were part of this "dump". The '60,s-'80,s were the heyday of my fathers collecting. Any Idea of thee value?

http://familyhistorywithalookingglass.b ... nives.html

Thanks for looking
Attachments
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Jerry Halfrich "Jack Russell" in old growth Redwood burl and M4 at RC 62. Paul Long sheath.
aapkJHJR.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Now that is a very handsome combo Montanaman.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Montanaman wrote:Jerry Halfrich "Jack Russell" in old growth Redwood burl and M4 at RC 62. Paul Long sheath.

aapkJHJR.jpg
Here we go with 'understated elegance', again; you sure know how to pick them; that knife is just beautiful. That is the kind of pic that I sometimes use for the background on my computer.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Pat Stanley wrote:I found these 3 in my Dads collection a few mo. back. 2ea. I. Wilson and 1, Thomas Gunn Ltd. Not a whole lot of recent info on these that I could find. Lots of historical stuff. These 3 seem to be unused showing some scratches from improper storage. On the link below is some info. From The blog post: "Wilson butcher knives were made until about 1970, when thousands of unused examples were dumped on the collector market." Maybe these were part of this "dump". The '60,s-'80,s were the heyday of my fathers collecting. Any Idea of thee value?

Thanks for looking
I am going to stick my stringy old neck out here and suggest that all these knives date from sometime before WWII. They are very nice examples of a genre that does not attract very many collectors so I could not suggest a value, probably less than $50 a knife, but I have been wrong before. Bernard Levine, a respected authority, has asserted that the Wilson knives were some of the better ones and do have some value. I like your knives quite a bit.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A few years ago a sudden mudslide struck Jerry Halfrich's shop. Jerry escaped (just) but his Jack Russell companion was trapped inside & died. He began making his J.R. pattern a few years before the slide happened.
kj
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06217.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

montanaman, Very nice combo, you don't get much better than a Paul Long sheath and the burl on the knife is a class act. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Pat Stanley wrote:I found these 3 in my Dads collection a few mo. back. 2ea. I. Wilson and 1, Thomas Gunn Ltd. Not a whole lot of recent info on these that I could find. Lots of historical stuff. These 3 seem to be unused showing some scratches from improper storage. On the link below is some info. From The blog post: "Wilson butcher knives were made until about 1970, when thousands of unused examples were dumped on the collector market." Maybe these were part of this "dump". The '60,s-'80,s were the heyday of my fathers collecting. Any Idea of thee value?

Thanks for looking
First off let me say that the knives are special because they belonged to your dad. But looking at the photo's, I wonder if someone didn't mark the blades with an old stamp which appear to be right for a vintage knife. But the handles throw up a huge red flag for me, I wonder if someone didn't rehandle an old knife, they are not the quality I would expect on those blades. Just my opinion however. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

jmh58 wrote:DSC06217.JPG

Is that a Buck Alpha Hunter? I have always liked the looks and style of that knife. Beautiful.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
jmh58 wrote:DSC06217.JPG

Is that a Buck Alpha Hunter? I have always liked the looks and style of that knife. Beautiful.
SSk
Thank You.. ::handshake:: BUCK calls it the Mini Alpha-Hunter..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I got this William Rodgers ‘I Cut My Way’ today for a whole $10Cdn. I’m not too sure about the pommel though. It seems to be wood. Does anyone know if Rodgers made one like this, or has it been added later? I like it either way, of course!
5A49577B-FFC1-4DA1-9642-84E43AB6BEFE.jpeg
0CEBCC3C-9656-4BEF-A5AD-4A6CE76C662A.jpeg
CFF34547-4E73-4DDA-AA07-010393ED6D14.png
AC4D0276-A684-4940-BE00-50B0806F7650.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ann, I think that fixed blades are your first love. Cool one there especial with the wood pommel. Are the initials the previous owners? Again cool knife. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I think the initials have been done professionally. Yes, I assume they would be the previous owner.
I’m always curious about who owned my knives before me. This is an intriguing little bit of a hint. It was in a canvas bag full of fishing gear, just visible out of the top.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Zoogirl. That knife bears an uncanny resemblance to a USN MK1 deck knife from ww2. Especially with the wooden pommel.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Did Rodgers make them? Must go look! That would be very cool.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Apparently it’s a British fighting knife and one just sold for $85! I done good!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

A665D2CB-00C3-47B0-87B9-12473F65CC02.png

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”