Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe

Re: Puukko

Post by kootenay joe »

Although not a puukko, the Swedish Mora knives are also incredible. Same price as a Rough Rider knife ! $15 will buy a basic super sharp GREAT user knife. It's ridiculous really. They should be banned. How can anyone justify buying a BRK for say $250 or a custom F.B. for say $500, when a $15 knife cuts just as well ?
Mora knives destroy the myth that price is connected to cutting ability.
I am mention Mora knives here because many of us are not aware of knives from Scandinavian countries (Norway & Sweden) or from Finland. If you love knives then discovering these will bring you much joy.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Have long been a fan of Mora. Wonderful knives. A few months ago I gave one away leaving me with one. Thinks its time to get another.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Thinks its time to get another"
Yes, and your budget won't even notice the expenditure.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mora probably delivers more bang for the buck than any other brand. Then what? Maybe Opinel.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I only have a few puukkos. Here is one that is unique. A Norwegian friend gave me. Maple burl and whale tooth. If you know what the maker mark is let me know.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Sorry, if you click on the pic it turns the right way. The makers mark looks to be RA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What a super nice knife ! I have a similar pattern knife made by Pasi Jaakonaho a mastersmith in Finland. The maker's marking is very clear on your knife. Someone will recognize it.
I would like to see all of your Puukko and Scandinavian knives. I hope you will post them here, even ones you might consider 'ordinary'. This one you have just posted is a real gem. I would like to know the maker too.
kj
Edit to add: on page 3 of this thread, towards bottom of page is a list of all Finnish puukko makers. You might find his initials there.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my knife made by Pasi J.
It can do anything/everything.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4299.JPG
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Lovely knife KJ. Very similar. I war looking for my other puukkos but can only find an American market Mora. Il continue to look. Pete
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

an excellent documentary film on making a Finnish puuko.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

tongueriver wrote:an excellent documentary film on making a Finnish puuko.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs
Great video.
Patient in his art.
Skilled with his hands.
Joined by his mate.

That is an interesting video series. Thanks for posting.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very old and skilled craftsmanship. I agree Tony, even more special because of husband and wife. Makes me want one. Thanks for posting the video. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote " Makes me want one".
Knife or Wife ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote " Makes me want one".
Knife or Wife ?
kj
I already have a wife of 50 years, Roland. I am happy with the one I have. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

(You are a funny man. ::tounge:: )
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I posted this knife, my first puukko type knife in another place a few months back when I purchased it. A JELIO, I believe from Bulgaria. I am smitten by this knife and so now I have been reading on the subject (overwhelmed already).
jp1.jpg
jp2.jpg
jp3.jpg
Also, I discovered a small film set in Finland which, although seemingly unrelated to the subject at hand, is greatly entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9x ... re=related
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! Some REAL FINE Puukkos yinz are showin!! ::ds:: YES SIR!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin that's a very fine knife ! Such clean elegant & strong lines and the Tommi design of rhomboid in cross section. I think the Finns perfected the Fixrd Blade and your puukko is fine example of this perfection. (even though it comes from Bulgaria)
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thank you, Roland; be sure to watch the film. :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj
Roland, you live in Canada. Just put you stuff up in a tree so a bear won't get it and you will be OK. ::nod:: ::nod::
Really, I am sorry about your fridge, hate it when things break. ::td:: ::td::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks DL. It's too warm for the tree trick. I have the door on a wood block so it is in place on the fridge but to open it it goes back onto the floor. In all my 72 years, never had this happen before.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I received this today from maker. Curly birch, bone, and possibly some sort of white plastic. About 8 1/8 inches overall. The blade has that rhomboid feature with the spine not being the thickest part of the blade. I am really impressed with this knife.
Notes from maker: "Puukko Hunting Knife with 4" Kustaa Lammi blade. Todd Marks: I have been making and collecting nordic knives now for over 10 years. Your blade was one of the last batches made from Mr. Lammi before he passed some years ago. I had it for quite some time and wanted to make this one special ...as a tribute to him. So i took my time and crafted it and it sat in the showcase for a few years. 2014 was when it was made. I haven't made any more knives as of late and decided it was time to clear out the showcase and replace the knives with Indian artifacts and other historical stuff found with my metal detector. I mainly sold my knives to other distributors and rarely sold any of them on ebay. This really is a nice piece and sad to see it go, but at the same time, i am glad someone else has the joy of using it as it was meant to. That was the last one until i get my shop set back up from moving."
puukko001.jpg
puukko002.jpg
k3.jpg
k4.jpg
k5.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cal, that is an exceptionally fine looking pukko, a real beauty. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I showed the 2nd knife some years ago.

IMG_2751.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow! beautiful knives! Did they use silver on the sheaths or nickel (German) silver? or sometimes both off and on?

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”