Fairbairn Skyes Fighting Knife Question

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
BryanJ

Fairbairn Skyes Fighting Knife Question

Post by BryanJ »

I have an early 1943 F-S coming and I have a sheaf question. What material is the pommel keeper on the sheaf is made of? Is it leather or elastic? If someone has a F-S from this period and would be willing to take a couple of photos for me of the front and back of the sheaf showing how the pommel keeper is sewn on, I'd appreciate it. The keeper on the one I have coming is missing, and if it's practical, I'd like to replace it (maybe).

https://centurionauctions.hibid.com/lot ... nReminders
Gunsil

Re: Fairbairn Skyes Fighting Knife Question

Post by Gunsil »

Keeper was a thin elastic band, most have long since deteriorated away, likely not worth repairing. Sheath may not be one that came with the knife originally anyways. Since it has "England" stamped on the guard it is one of the tens of thousands re-stamped after the war and sent to the US as partial payment for lend/lease arms we sent to England during the war. None of the ones with the "England" stamp were issued to troops. Hard to find model with the second model blade and third model handle.
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

Thanks for info. After my post I found some photos of the sheaf with the keeper and saw how it was sewn together. Hopefully the corrosion shown in the photos and rust will clean up fairly well and I'll probably repair the sheaf. I'd never researched the variety of F-S knives until I stumbled upon this one. Might now have to keep my eye out for a few more. Interesting knives.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

For what it is worth (very little, no doubt) the word is "sheath." Sheaf refers to a bundle of wheat/barley/oats stalks including the head and the straw, before it goes to the farm machinery (which varies) which separates the seeds from the chaf/straw, etc.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I've got one but I'm afraid it falls into the category of the mundane when it comes to these beautiful knives.
Other members have shown some real beauties in a former thread.

Mine does not have a sheath.
Attachments
DSCN2776.JPG
DSCN2783.JPG
DSCN2785.JPG
DSCN2787.JPG
DSCN2792.JPG
Joe
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:34 pm For what it is worth (very little, no doubt) the word is "sheath." Sheaf refers to a bundle of wheat/barley/oats stalks including the head and the straw, before it goes to the farm machinery (which varies) which separates the seeds from the chaf/straw, etc.
Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, a mind is a terrible thing to waste (waist). I hope I don't loose my forum membership for being a DA. ::dang:: Must have been having a mental lisp when I spelled it sheaf, who knows. This morning when getting out of shower, wife says, you know, you've got your underwear inside out...

FRJ. I think that is a very attractive knife.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

:lol:

Thank you Bryan. ::tu::
Joe
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

A couple more questions. Is the handle and blade some sort of alloy? Is the handle brass? Any recommendations what I can use to clean it up?
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

BryanJ, If it were mine, I wouldn't do any deep cleaning, just use gun oil or wd40, wipe it off with a soft cloth and leave the "patina". There have been more than a few collector items ruined by buffing and heavy duty cleaning, Most would like to see the original "character" left in place. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

That's exactly what I did...WD-40. Most of the original bluing is still on blade with rust and some pitting. Handle cleaned up ok with some corrosion. Sheath is in good shape, minus the keeper. Nice add to my small milsurp collection.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”