Puukko

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Puukko

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Here is a Kainuun Finger Guard Puukko on it's way to me. Anybody recognize it ?
kj
Attachments
s-l1600OK.jpg
s-l1600OKB.jpg
s-l1600OKS.jpg

bestgear
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby bestgear » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Roland - I'll go out on a limb and guess Olavi Kemppainen?
tom@cosgrove-cutlery.com

https://www.cosgrove-cutlery.com/ Now Free Shipping for all U.S. orders!

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Tom, you must be a 'puukkophile' !
Yes Olavi Kemppainen. who with his brother "AK" owned and operated Kainuum Puukko for many years (over 50 yrs ?) They were the 'knowledge keepers' of Kalle Keranen's methos & style of making the Tommi Puukko.
Olavi is said to have made the best of all Kainuum puukkos.
It is almost like finding a Scagel. Well not quite but i'm just as happy.
I thought my little quiz might go on for at least a few posts, but Tom called it right. Full points Tom.
kj

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby TripleF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Beauties fellas.....
Not sure how I've missed this thread...
SCOTT

http://www.PocketKnivesBlog.com

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Scott there are usually quite a few vintage puukko knives on ebay. It is difficult to learn which are the more valuable ones but plenty fly under the radar and can be had for under $40 sometimes even $20. They sharpen up like a razor, great using knives. Until recently every 12 yr old in school in Finland had to take a full year long 'bush craft' course. They are taught how to use & sharpen knives and then to use the knife(puukko) they sharpened to cut sticks to build an overnight shelter etc. Makes me think of your troop; get each kid an old puukko and old stones and teach them sharpening. If you want to look for donations i'll send you a couple of old puukkos. I bet others would too.
kj

schmoozer

Postby schmoozer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:05 am

Late to the game but this is what I have...
The center knife was my grandfather's garden knife. Came back with him while on a 6-month sabbatical touring Europe in 1960.
The bottom was a local antique find. Ceremonial?
IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 am

Nice, those 3 are all 'working puukkos', no ceremonial ones there.
kj

schmoozer

Postby schmoozer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 am

kootenay joe wrote:Nice, those 3 are all 'working puukkos', no ceremonial ones there.
kj

Thanks for the info. I have seen the bottom example listed as ceremonial for several $100.
I bought it on a lark at one of my regular haunts, very inexpensively. (Better than saying CHEAPLY!!)
None is getting sold until our kids threaten us with nursing care. Then we cash out and disappear. ::ds::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 pm

There are ceremonial (or Sunday) knives from Norway that might look a bit like your 3rd knife. The scabbards are usually made of horn plus pewter or silver fittings top & bottom.
The '3rd knife' is a very good example of a Finnish puukko especially with the sheath 'all there'. Often the metal from base of sheath is missing. Yours still has the belt hanger too. Blade edge & tip look great. On ebay now it is ~ $75 knife.
You could even make it your own user knife. They sharpen to a razor edge and will cut anything sensible.(i.e. copper wire o.k. steel fencing, No !)
kj

schmoozer

Postby schmoozer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:01 pm

"You could even make it your own user knife. They sharpen to a razor edge and will cut anything sensible.(i.e. copper wire o.k. steel fencing, No !)"
Good explanation there...

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

I just picked up the Olavi Kemppainen Puukko shown at top of this page.
I am so 'moved' by this knife and with thousands of knives in my collection, this old collector rarely gets such a fine 'knife buzz'.
The blade is the most perfect i own & it is forged ! And it is The Sharpest edge i have ever experienced, even sharper than my Jerry Halfrich, Rick Menefee, Todd Davison, etc. all known for super sharp edges.
O.K. is said to have been the finest Puukko maker of all time. It is an honor to own this knife.
I wouldn't sell it for 5x what i paid.
kj

terryl308

Postby terryl308 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:47 pm

My only swede and Finish knives. (thanks to kJ) I finally got it touched up and sharpened a little. both knives take a mean edge! Include in the photo are a couple of pieces of 8 ounce leather that I practiced on. A little hard to read on the Finn but it says Made in Finland among other thisgs. No sheath for the Swede, just a "user" but a good one. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0897.JPG
DSC_0898.JPG
DSC_0899.JPG
DSC_0900.JPG
DSC_0901.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 pm

The Finnish Puukko is such an incredibly fine knife/tool yet most knife lovers here don't know much about them and don't have one.
There are plenty of vintage puukkos 'out there' waiting to be found & tuned up to totally thrill the new owner.
Why do they cut so well ? I don't know but they do.
kj

Berryb

Postby Berryb » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:53 pm

what kind of price range do these things run? I know where there is a beautiful one, but it's a bit pricey I think, or it could be a real bargain, who knows. Thanks
Bruce

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:04 am

Puukko prices are 'all over the map'. Higher prices sometimes reflect a knife made by a well known smith either present or past. But more often it is just 2 or more bidders wanting the same knife.
Puukkos are often signed by the maker in the fuller groove but to a non-Finn it just looks like a bunch of unreadable connected loops.
There are no books or online resources that help one learn how to assess Finnish knives as to age or maker. Hence for 99% of us we really don't know what we are looking at other than 'a knife from Finland'.
As to prices, they are going up since i began chatting about these some months ago but some still fly low and might be had for $30-$40.
Many sellers think they are very valuable and first post them for a high BIN. I watch these as most will remain unsold until listed as open auction with a low opening bid.
If you search "Puukko" and "Finland knife" and "Finnish knife" (3 separate searches) on ebay you will get lots of knives to watch. After a few months you will know which style you like, what a complete sheath looks like, and what a good price is.
kj

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”