K'roo customs, Barlows, Sleeveboards, Sway back"VIPERS" PLUS

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

K'roo customs, Barlows, Sleeveboards, Sway back"VIPERS" PLUS

Post by MP95B20 »

K'roo Zulu Ivory
K'roo Zulu Ivory
I've got some in African Blackwood and some in Ivory, smooth polished ivory. And 3 completed awaiting shipment, a Teardrop EO, 4 bolsters, and an Esky Zulu Style, and a K'roo Clip, 3.75", all in ivory, just completed and awaiting shipment. If interested in any of the 3 ivories just hit me and I'll send pics, I've listed 10 here and on Ebay, if you'd like to take a look. I'll discount the posted AAPK price for members who buy here the fees on AAPK. Good HUnting. Before I forget, picked up a couple from another South African maker, Michael du Plessis. He makes an exceptionaly clean and traditional looking knife from modern materials, have 2 of his listed and a couple more barlows, clip and sheepsfoot in production now, in Giraffe Bone,like the wharnie I have listed. Thanks for looking, Mac I'll leave you with a few pics. I'm not inerested in any trades, just staight sales.
Teardrop EO Sheepsfoot in Ivory
Teardrop EO Sheepsfoot in Ivory
The Zulu blade
The Zulu blade
Kroo Clip
Kroo Clip
Attachments
KROO Clip in Ivory
KROO Clip in Ivory
Teardrop Eo
Teardrop Eo
Keep your edge, dull is dull no matter where you find it.
kootenay joe

Re: K'roo customs, Barlows, Sleeveboards, Sway back"VIPERS" PLUS

Post by kootenay joe »

MAC, is that a GEC made Northwoods Esky Zulu that has been re-handled in ivory ?
kj
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

No they're all K'roos. See the caption below each pic. Mac
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

The Northwoods and every other one I've seen had a short nail nick, his has a long pull and the spear blade is a little curved. Mac
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I asked because "Esky" is a name thought up by Derrick Bohn for the first Northwoods after their move from Portland to Michigan. As the blade profile resembled the Schrade Cut Co. "Zulu" blade, this Northwoods was called the "Esky Zulu". Your knife is therefore not an Esky Zulu, it is a "K'roo Zulu" which actually sounds even better.
kj
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

I've seen esky Zulus by ta Davidson, by Jeffery Mitchell, and a couple of others. I saw one made in the 70s by another South African bladesmith. All the research I've done implies it's one of the oldest and first patterns used by modern custom makers. But I'll appreciate the information. Mac
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

MP95B20 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 am I've seen esky Zulus by ta Davidson, by Jeffery Mitchell, and a couple of others. I saw one made in the 70s by another South African bladesmith. All the research I've done implies it's one of the oldest and first patterns used by modern custom makers. But I'll appreciate the information. Mac
Derrick Bohn had a habit of naming his Northwoods knives after things that were located near his store. The Fremont Jack for example, was named after a popular street in Portland, Oregon where Derrick's store was at the time. The Willamette Whittler was named after a river that runs through Portland, Oregon.

The Big Bay and Little Bay are named after bodies of water located next to Escanaba, Michigan where Derrick's store was located when those were made.

I've always been under the impression that "Esky" is short for Escanaba, Michigan where Derrick's store was located when the Esky Zulus were made.

I'm not saying you're wrong, Mac but I would like to see examples of Esky Zulus made by other makers so that I can learn more about this. Can you provide a link or two?
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

Tony Bose mentions it in an interview , part of which is posted here. He talks about traditonal patterns and how nothing new under the sun, but says they used to make em that way because they worked, and attributes his success to sticking to the classics by detail, not losing the swedge cut , ect. He says The Zulu was one of the first custom patterns, and how he used it for his Case Tribal lock. The Esky part may be Bohn's. I just never separated the two. It's a toss up, but if it'll make y'all feel better, I'll say Esky Zulu Style. Mac
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks Mac. ::handshake::
Rick T.

MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

No problem brother, I really appreciate y'alls input, keeps me sharp, Mac
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

How many can I put you down for? One already sold and ivory limited, mac
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

MP95B20 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm How many can I put you down for? One already sold and ivory limited, mac
Ha! I'm gonna have to go with zero, I'm afraid. Saving my funds for a knife show in a couple weeks.

I do like these Kroo's though and the ones you're offering are very tempting.
Rick T.

MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

If you can't find what you want at the show just holler. These will be in in a few weeks. Mac
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Rick: "I've always been under the impression that "Esky" is short for Escanaba, Michigan where Derrick's store was located when the Esky Zulus were made".
Absolutely correct. In his video announcing the new Northwoods Esky Zulu, Derrick said that he coined the word "Esky" as short for Escanaba, which at the time was the new home of of his retail knife business, Knives Ship Free.
The name "Zulu" for a blade profile was 'invented' by Schrade Cut Co. in the 1920's or early '30's.
Tony Bose copied the Zulu profile but called it his "Tribal Spear".
MAC's knife is a "K'roo Zulu" which is an even more catchy name than "Esky Zulu"
Do i get 'special consideration' for 'fixing' and improving the name of this knife ? :) 8)
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I don't know about other knife collectors, but IMHO that seems like an awful lot of dough to lay out for a knife based solely on photos. Although, to be honest, they are awfully attractive knives. That African Blackwood "Viper" Swayback definitely appeals to my Wharncliffe tunnel vision.

My curiosity led me to do a little research because before I shell out that much for a knife, especially one I can't handle in person first, I want to know as much as I possibly can about it...and I doubt I am alone in that regard. Here's an interesting review (from 2016) I discovered that others may also find enlightening.

https://www.everydaycommentary.com/www. ... ayson.html
~Q~
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

I saw that post before I started buying from K'roo, a little over a year ago. It's about the knife, he's own design, the Chunky Frank, and have seen a few more since, all the others, and if you care to check out their FaceBook page, are overwhelming positive. i appreciate the feedback, but posting something that interfers with my ability to sell here.. well I guess I should have known better than to offer something on a forum. Just forget the Post now up, if you wish to buy, Hit Ebay, Mac
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mac, I'm sorry you took it that way. Actually, I thought the info was interesting and informative...I certainly did not intend to step on your sales toes. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out how to 1) afford the Viper, and 2) justify spending that much on a knife I can't handle first. Believe me, once I've solved those two obstacles, I just hope the Viper is still available.
~Q~
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

I'll give you or anyone a 14 day grace period, I've been doing this over 10 years, since i retired, and sell 40 to 60 knives a month, 80% of my business comes from repeat customers. I'll treat you like i want to be treated. I'm really frustrated with site now, my posts, sales items, keep editing themselves and disappearing from any and all searchs, it's work to take pics, write a good description , and then have to do it over and over again. I apologize,it wasn't what you said, but when. Mac
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

If the listing for the K'roo Wharncliffe Viper Sway Back in your AAPK store is correct, then it looks like I'm out of luck anyway as it shows it's already been sold. Not too surprising, it's a very cool knife. Story of my life...always a day late and a dollar short...or, in this case, less than a day and more than a few dollars. Well, at least my wife'll be happy that I didn't blow the rent money on another knife! (Bummer for me, though.)

Say, Mac...Would you mind posting a link to your eBay site? Clearly you have some good stuff and I'd like to keep track of what you have to offer. ::nod::

Thanks. ::handshake::
~Q~
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

It's not sold, Bryan contacted me about the site issues I've been having and I put Zero into Quantity to save them till he can resolve them, hopefully within 24 hrs. So you can still dream, Mac
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Gotcha. Hope it gets sorted out.

eBay link??
~Q~
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

https://www.ebay.com/sch/3fingermac/m.h ... pg=&_from= , My seller ID is the same, 3fingermac, and they have a list here on AAPK with some of the Ebay sellers info, Mine is there also. This link takes you to my current listings, as of 2 mins ago, 46 knives, including the K'roos and MDP's, Mac
MP95B20
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by MP95B20 »

Hey brother, I feel bad about abusing you here. When you get ready take 10% off the AAPK prices and contact me for an invoice thru PayPal, I'll put the 14 day after delivery grace or return period on the invoice. Good hunting, Mac

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”