The Knife Makers Who Went West by Harvey Platts

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Knife Makers Who Went West by Harvey Platts

Post by stockman »

Nice old desirable book. Dust cover has been repaired with tape, some damage inside front cover at bottom. The rest of the book is nice. I will mail to you for $75.00. Pictures 3 and 4 are the damage 1" long 1/2" high on both sides. For the collector of old knives this book is a good one to have.

Harold
Attachments
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Knife Makers Who Went West by Harvey Platts

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Definitely a good one to have. Can’t beat it for information on Western, but there’s a lot of Platts, Case, and other info included as well. The Platts family was one of the earliest and most influential families in American Cutlery, both through Sheffield immigrant Harvey Platts and being related by marriage to the Case family. Well written, lots of cutlery history in this book. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Also some Northfield history. ::nod::

Great book. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN8367.JPG
Joe
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks for the additional info on this old book. Is my price right?

Harold
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

As for me Harold, sorry, I can't speak to the price. I just don't know.
But that book is right. ::tu::
Joe
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The price is about the current average on ebay. In the last 60 days, 3 have gone for $52, $65 and an a best offer of $89 or best offer, unknown the actual price it sold for.

In the past, I have seen them go for a low of $45 to a high of $168. Final prices always depend on condition of the book being sold, how many are available at the time of sale and how desperate someone is in acquiring one.

The highest have gone for their prices when in really fine condition at a time when one had not been offered for several months.

I paid $50 for my "working copy" that I use day-in and day-out for identification and research. The dust jacket was slightly damaged and a couple of pages had small tears. The most I paid was $120 for a pristine copy that still had plastic wrap around it.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Also contains reprints of several old Western catalogs.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I paid $100 for my copy about 2 years ago, like new. Great book to have in your research library. Terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

sold
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe that was a very fair price on that book. I have seen them sell for well north of $100.
My copy was a gift from Tom Williams. Tom said when Camillus bought Western Cutlery, in 1991 I think, part of what they received was 2 1/2 cases of Harvey Platts book. (I may have the quantity wrong, but it's in the ballpark) There was very little demand for them at Camillus Cutlery so they sat in a back room with Tom giving away a copy every now and then. After Camillus closed Tom said he ended up with an open box of the books that was nearly full. Tom sent me a copy and wouldn't allow me to even pay the postage!

If you have any interest in Western knives, I highly recommend the book! This one may be gone but you can sometimes find them on Amazon or eBay. If I didn't have one I would pay $100 for a copy without batting an eye, because it is that valuable in terms of the information contained in the book.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
ChevelleFan

Post by ChevelleFan »

stockman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm Nice old desirable book. Dust cover has been repaired with tape, some damage inside front cover at bottom. The rest of the book is nice. I will mail to you for $75.00. Pictures 3 and 4 are the damage 1" long 1/2" high on both sides. For the collector of old knives this book is a good one to have.

Harold
I bought this book not long ago and have been looking for it for a very long time. For a connoisseur, it is very important.
ChevelleFan

Post by ChevelleFan »

ChevelleFan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:01 pm
stockman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm Nice old desirable book. Dust cover has been repaired with tape, some damage inside front cover at bottom. The rest of the book is nice. I will mail to you for $75.00. Pictures 3 and 4 are the damage 1" long 1/2" high on both sides. For the collector of old knives this book is a good one to have. In the book you will find many interesting facts about various knives. Surprisingly, I found references to this kinu even from some literary works. When I studied the yellow wallpaper essay at https://paperap.com/free-papers/the-yellow-wallpaper/ I was surprised to find that in the story the heroine Charlotte Perkins refers to the facts that are indicated in this book. I was surprised, I never liked reading classical literature. But after that, I like to examine the classics for such facts.

Harold
I bought this book not long ago and have been looking for it for a very long time. For a connoisseur, it is very important.
By the way, I talked with my friend today, he is looking for such a kina in good condition and says that it is difficult.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Several copies are available through www.abebooks.com

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... ent%20West

Prices vary from $78 to $160 depending on condition. abebooks.com is a listing service for independent used book sellers. Some include free shipping, some don’t so be sure to read the listing details.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”