Presto George Schrade Sportsman Automatic Knife – Boy Scouts of America Model

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Presto George Schrade Sportsman Automatic Knife – Boy Scouts of America Model

Post by bestgear »

The George Schrade Knife Company of Bridgeport Connecticut used the Presto brand name for most of their automatic line. This knife was manufactured after 1940 as the mark side tang stamp “Presto” is larger than the earlier models and the absence of the “Pat Pnd-g” on the same stamp has been replaced with “Made In USA”. This knife is 4 1/8” long closed and 7” fully open from blade tip to the back of the knife.

The Sportsman model is reputed to have been made initially for the US Military and is referred to as a Paratrooper knife because it could be used in a one-hand operation. The excess military inventory was reputed to be used for the Boy Scouts of America and although it never appeared in a BSA National Supply Catalog, it could be ordered by a Scoutmaster who cited a Scout whose handicap required a knife for one-hand use. BSA archives indicate that this knife was made for only a decade (1935-1945) and when U.S. newspapers and the sensationalist tabloid press joined forces to promote the image of a delinquent youth with a switchblade, the BSA decided to drop the offering as the public focused on the switchblade as a symbol of youthful evil intent. The only discernible difference between the U.S. Military version and the BSA version is a distinctive blade etch on the BSA version.

I purchased this knife in September of 2007 from Mark Erickson, the author of Antique American Switchblades, who authenticated it as a BSA version. The only issues with this knife is that it has a very faint BSA etch, visible only under strong magnification and the mark side cover has a chip at the steel bolster. The steel bail is complete and unmolested, the knife fires, locks and closes as designed and there is no side-to-side blade play when open. The knife has seen some light duty over the last 75+ years but the blade is nearly 100%. The honey brown bone jigging is distinctive to this model and the 2 covers are perfectly matched.

I’m selling this knife as I have a duplicate with a stronger etch in my permanent collection and want to get this one back into circulation, so others can enjoy this wonderful piece of Scouting history. I know that today’s market is different than when I bought this knife eleven years ago, so I’m willing to listen to reasonable and fair offers from AAPK members. Due to automatic knife restrictions this knife cannot be sold on eBay. Payment can be made with cash, check, money order, PayPal or Venmo. Hopefully there’s a Scout knife or Presto Schrade collector out there that’s been looking for this knife and a mutually acceptable deal can be made. Thank you for looking and your kind consideration.

Please PM me if you have any questions. This knife comes from an adult smoke-free home and is described to the best of my ability. Please take a good look at the pictures as they are a large part of the description. Additional pictures are always available, just ask what you’d like to see, and I’ll make them available. In purchasing this knife, you attest that you are of legal age and that you can legally possess this knife.
Attachments
BSA Presto Schrade 1.jpg
BSA Presto Schrade 2.jpg
BSA Presto Schrade 3.jpg
BSA Presto Schrade 4.jpg
BSA Presto Schrade 5.jpg
BSA Presto Schrade 6.jpg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Presto George Schrade Sportsman Automatic Knife – Boy Scouts of America Model

Post by doglegg »

Tom, what an impressive knife, especially with the blade etch. Love the bones. You should get your price on that one. ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Presto George Schrade Sportsman Automatic Knife – Boy Scouts of America Model

Post by kennedy knives »

Hi Tom do you have a asking Price
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks Doglegg, she's a looker.

Gary -PM sent.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

9ball

Post by 9ball »

:shock: Wow.......I would be interested in that also! But I understand if someone has beaten me to it. I got more knives than I know what The Boss is going to do with anyway :lol:
Now back to reruns of "Walker, Texas Ranger" ::tu::

9ball (Grinin)
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Just listed this in my AAPK store for $800 which I believe to be a fair price but I'm open to listening to offers. Tom ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

This knife has been sold, thank you for the interest.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”