Hedengran & Sons Eskilstuna Bone Jack 1833-1900 (Swedish)

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
LongBlade

Hedengran & Sons Eskilstuna Bone Jack 1833-1900 (Swedish)

Post by LongBlade »

This is a long description and lots of photos but think it helps to see the knife with all described – but please ask if any questions….

(4” closed so a good sized jack knife) – Nice smooth bone with sabre ground master blade. Excellent snap on both blades & corkscrew opening and closing – no half stops on blades; Tight/No wobble; Smooth bone handles have minor hairline crack at end pin on both mark and pile sides (see photos); Brass liners and pins; Master blade lightly sharpened and looks almost full length; Pen blade looks short in length - I am not sure of original pen blade shape and can only say I have seen 3 other Finnish jacks from other makers with similar sharpened pen blades so really not sure – I think if the length of the pen blade was significantly longer it would block the pull on master blade; Corkscrew looks to be full and is tight & snaps. Tang stamp on Master – Hedengran & Sons and a #36 stamped on tang of pen blade. The center brass liner has a bend where the tip of knife would sit but importantly does not affect blade at all in opening and closing – just pure speculation as it may just be bent from damage but because of the placement of bend I am not sure if it was put there to hold blade in place given the blade size - It looks symmetrical with the other liner past the blade tip where the liner flares out the same both directions (hope I am being clear but again just guessing on bend in liner). Old Knife - Jim Hedengran started making knives in 1833 in Eskilstuna Sweden and stamp became Hedengran & Sons from 1870 -1900 so the knife is about 120 years old or older. Hedengran is one of the more rare Swedish makers to find. Selling it only because it is not a good fit for what I have been collecting. $65 plus cost of shipping of your choice.
Closed Mark Side DSCN1802.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN1829.JPG
Blades Open DSCN1854.JPG
Blades Open Pile Side DSCN1860.JPG
Blades Closed from Top DSCN1900.JPG
Brass Liner w Bend DSCN1939.JPG
Master Blade & Liner Closed DSCN1923.JPG
Springs and Corkscrew DSCN1892.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN1867.JPG
Pen 33 Stamp DSCN1885.JPG

Re: Hedengran & Sons Eskilstuna Bone Jack 1833-1900 (Swedish)

Post by LongBlade »

Sorry -knife is Swedish not Finnish - not sure what I was thinking ::dang:: ::dang:: ...

Price reduced to $55 plus shipping - Where's the Swedish knife collectors ?? :D

Post by LongBlade »

Price reduced to $50 or OBO - plus shipping of your choice.

Post by kootenay joe »

Are you sure handle pieces are bone ?
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Hi KJ - Good question as a few years back when I got it the seller thought it was another natural material but close examination does show some haversian canals - so believe it is smooth bone and a few big slabs on each side as well.. The swedish knife makers for the most part used smooth bone but other natural handle materials exist. The thing about this maker is that he was known but rather obscure - have not seen many of his knives compared to the more well known makers in Sweden.

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks LB. I have or had, a few Swedish bottle jacks that i thought had ivory handles. I need to re-check them.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Price reduced, once more, to $45 or OBO - plus shipping of your choice. Thanks!!

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”