WESTERN STATES & WESTERN BOULDER

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
tongueriver

WESTERN STATES & WESTERN BOULDER

Post by tongueriver »

I have a number of blades from the old Colorado company, many being rather desirable or rare. I can furnish detailed descriptions with some difficulty and at a snail's pace to SERIOUS inquiries only. The prices will be attractive, but please don't render casual inquiries because, as odd as it may seem, I consider my time to be valuable.
IMG_2612.JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: WESTERN STATES & WESTERN BOULDER

Post by Paladin »

Cal,
I counted 20. Is that correct? How much?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Any BSA versions Cal?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cal, that is an awesome looking pile of westerns. Wow! Somebody is going to be right happy with that pile of knives.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I am always looking for the real early ones, pre-split tang patent. Arched Western States marks. I don't see any in that pile, do you happen to have any of them? Often contract made by Marbles, KA-BAR, or Case/Kinfolks. Thanks!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I would rather not sell as a lot; some of these cost me more than a hundred dollars, although I am willing to take less for nearly all of them. There are no Boy Scouts in this lot.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I will get some more info up when I can get free. Now for the pickleball court and then a cold one.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

SOLD
All knives I have for sale are priced as shipped to your CONUS door, always USPS, but sometimes various methods. Any reasonable payment method from regular AAPK members. Every knife I have for sale in this thread represents a monetary loss to me, but I am cool with that; I was the high bidder on ebay at the time for every one of these knives. Most of the images are scans, not photographs and can be a little strange.
Here is the first one: Tang-stamped like this: “Knives made in late 1931 and early 1932 were marked "Patent Applied For" (sometimes with Patent and/or Applied abbreviated.)” $50.00.
Six inch saber ground long lightly clipped, lightly swedged sweeping blade. Tang stamped on “left” side WESTERN/ BOULDER, COLORADO. Tang stamped on “right” side PAT/ APP’LD FOR. Blade has patina, sharpening marks, scratches, micropitting and some tiny dings to edge, but still shows mostly original bright finish. Half guard may be nickel silver. Black and red spacers fore and aft of the celluloid slabs handle. The handle has white underlying slabs, topped with a dark (brown?) slab, then a top slab, which starts out as an ivory color and a yellowish cast on top. Pinned with four pins showing on each side. No evident shrinkage or warping of any kind. Some handling scratches. Handles terminate in an oval cast aluminum pommel, double pinned per the Western patent which would be granted in 1934. Pommel shows the usual patina and dings. There is an old leather sheath, which may be original, in reasonably good condition.
44 yellow six inch001.jpg
44 yellow six inch002.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

All knives I have for sale are priced as shipped to your CONUS door, always USPS, but sometimes various methods. Any reasonable payment method from regular AAPK members. Every knife I have for sale in this thread represents a monetary loss to me, but I am cool with that; I was the high bidder on ebay at the time for every one of these knives. Most images are scans instead of photos and can be a little strange.
Here is the second one: Tang-stamped like this: “Knives made in late 1931 and early 1932 were marked "Patent Applied For" (sometimes with Patent and/or Applied abbreviated.)”
NX43 Western States $50.00.
Left tang stamp is WEST CUT in large block letters, over BOULDER, COLO. in smaller block letters. Right tang stamp is PAT over APPL’D FOR. The half guard is nickel silver. Behind that is one red fiber spacer and the leather stacked washer handle over the (later) patented split tang construction, followed by an aluminum round knob pommel. The knife has not seen any but the most cursory of use, if any. Some pitting and scratches.The desirable original sheath has the famous embossed cowboy on a bucking bronco. The rivets, stitching, etc. is perfect but the leather is quite dry. It has COESTER crudely scratched into the back.
NX43001.jpg
NX43002.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!jME6E86tgvzBOmYL0UWiw~~60_3.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

All knives I have for sale are priced as shipped to your CONUS door, always USPS, but sometimes various methods. Any reasonable payment method from regular AAPK members. Every knife I have for sale in this thread represents a monetary loss to me, but I am cool with that; I was the high bidder on ebay at the time for every one of these knives. Most images are scans, not photos, and may be a little strange.
Here is number three. $50.00.
About 8 1/2 inches overall, with the blade just a hair under 4 1/2 inches. Tang stamped on “left” side WESTERN over BOULDER, COLORADO. Tang stamped on “right” side PAT over APPL’D FOR. Blade has transverse thumb knurling on spine just ahead of the nickel silver half guard. Stacked spacer handle has red, black, nickel silver and leather components, in an alternating pattern over the whole length of the handle. The handle terminates in a cast aluminum oval knob pommel, pinned twice as per the famous Western patent. The blade itself is a short stocky (deep) clip, very slightly reminiscent of a woodcraft blade, but not so dramatic. The blade shows some staining and shallow pitting, and there is evidence of some sharpening, but no damage from incompetent sharpening. The handle shows very slight unevenness in places and the pommel has a few minor dings and scratches. Overall the knife shows use but not abuse and any blade loss appears to be insignificant. There is a newer WESTERN sheath but possibly pre-war.
404a-1112.jpg
404b-1112.jpg
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I'd be happy to give a home to the first knife in the thread.
PM sent
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

DELETE
americanedgetech

Done. Thanks! :wink:
Ken Mc.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

All these particular WESTERNS have been sold. I for some reason am not able to edit my posts so this is how I am announcing the fact. Thanks everyone!
americanedgetech

I believe there is a countdown timer on the edit/delete function. After a pre set time you can't change a post unless Admin helps.

I have seen forums destroyed in edit/delete wars where a member or group of members delete years of valuable information.
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”