Naval Dirk ?

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
kootenay joe

Naval Dirk ?

Post by kootenay joe »

I have owned this knife for a few years. I do not know it's history but it is a real knife with a strong blade & sharp edge that feels 'powerful' in hand, like "come on Pirate, i'm ready for ya"
OAL just over 12", blade is 8 1/4" and is thickest along a center ridge with convex grinds toward spine and edge where they meet, i.e. convex to zero, no edge grind needed. It is full tang extending through the pommel.
Handle is a piece of beautifully grained ivory-like substance, nice rounded oval in cross section, feels lovely in hand.
$135, (125 for knife, 10 for shipping)
This knife might be more valuable than i realize if it is old.
Attachments
034.JPG
037.JPG
038.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Naval Dirk ?

Post by Gunsil »

KJ, just a word of warning, it is agin' the law to ship elephant ivory items into the USA or to ship them interstate here. Better to advertise it as "faux ivory" and have folks ask questions via PM or private e-mail. Old hippie phrase----"just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching".
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks G.
I made a change in wording, hopefully sufficient.
Do you recognize this knife as to probable origin or age ?
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Sorry but I do not recognize it. It is a very beautiful knife and I would say your price is nice. I love those handles but have to limit my buying these days of retirement with no pension. Looks more like a custom knife to me rather than an old naval dirk, but it sure is a looker!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Off topic here, since I know you are trying to sell it, but I agree that it is a nice knife. To me it looks like it was made from a bigger weapon - maybe to salvage parts from a nice sword that had been broken.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks, i appreciate comments as to it's possible origin. Learning more about knives is always in order, for sale item or not.
I showed this to BRL some years ago. His assessment was the same: not a production knife, but one made of parts from other knives plus the very special handle, done by someone who had experience making knives and likely a long time ago. May or may not have been carried as a side arm.
Certainly not made for show. Blade & tip are sharp and would easily puncture a chest or abdomen.
kj
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

My first impression was that of a "Sword Breaker" with that large guard. I have to agree that the intent is a rather stout fighting knife no matter who, when or where.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"I have to agree that the intent is a rather stout fighting knife no matter who, when or where."
Quite right.
Surely someone here needs a close quarters Home Defender knife tucked under mattress edge ?
Or, if you own a boat or ship, then you need a knife like this one to dispatch boarding pirates.
Yes it is knife useful, even life saving while life dispatching, in so many situations we find ourselves in today.
I think i need to raise the price having convinced myself of it's greatness.
kj
wilkere

Post by wilkere »

Very Nice, I have not seen one quite like it in my years of blade collecting
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks wilkere. Me too, i have never seen a similar looking knife.
Welcome to AAPK. Lots of good people and good info here. Hope you hang around and share some of your knife knowledge.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This interesting knife is SOLD.
thanks for all your posts,
kj
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

Is the guard on upside-down?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think knife would work equally well with the half guard turned up as it is now or turned down. How could you say which is the correct position ?
kj

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”