solingen REX camp knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
defsailor

solingen REX camp knife

Post by defsailor »

I received this camp knife as a gift a long time ago. I recently took it to a gun show and asked around various knife booths to find out more information about it. A couple of guys wanted to buy it but did not specify value and were very cagy about volunteering information. I'd like to know the age and material of the handles along with the value.
It has Solingen germany on one side of blade and REX on the other side of main blade.
the medallion says Germany.
I found a similar item online, it was a Boker 7594 with a phillips screwdrive blade like the one I have. Most I see have a corkscrew in place of the screwdriver.
Any information would be appreciated! Dave
Attachments
20210607_150739.jpg
20210607_150711.jpg
20210607_150724.jpg
rexstubbins

Re: solingen REX camp knife

Post by rexstubbins »

Welcome to the forums.

I don't have specific information about REX cutlery however I had a similar knife (with the exception of the philips head on mine was a cork screw.) It had a very similar shield. It had Kane Kutlery on the main blade. I suspect these patterns were manufactured by one company and then branded. Can't tell from your pics what the handle material is. If possible you might want to get pics in better lighting. For reference here is the Kane Kutlery knife I had at one time.
Attachments
20191022_070703_HDR.jpg
20191022_070820_HDR.jpg
20191022_070947_HDR.jpg
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Your knife is not uncommon as far as the pattern is concerned, except as you say the Philips screwdriver blade is more commonly a corkscrew. Böker has made the same pattern for many years and still does. In the U.S. the most commonly seen same pattern is the Remington R3843 which was reproduced by Camillus but no longer in production.

Hard to tell from the pictures but most likely the handle covers are jigged bone. Here’s a thread with more information about REX Cutlery viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65078

Here for reference are pictures of an older Böker and an old Remington, both having a corkscrew.

Ken
Attachments
8802A1A4-084E-4772-98B8-46A39AB9041A.jpeg
8F58472E-017B-4200-BA21-A18084446438.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Solingen once had over 100 knife manufacturing businesses. There were (are) other businesses there that manufacture knife parts and sell them to the knife manufacturers. Hence it can be impossible with some of the Solingen knives to know which manufacturer made them.
There was never a knife manufacturer named "Rex". Your knife was likely made for a wholesaler or merchant, like a chain of hardware stores, etc.
These German 6 bladed Utility knives are fairly common although most have a corkscrew not a Phillips screwdriver.
The value is rather low because not many people in North America collect German knives. It is a good knife to sharpen up and use.
kj
defsailor

Post by defsailor »

Thanks to all for your replies! I plan to keep this as a EDC when camping. I've spent some time researching on the web and I'm guessing @ 1940-1950 as date of manufacture. Is there any way to positivily ID the handle as bone? look for something under magnification or something? Thanks again for everyone's participation here, I'm new to the forum and I'm impressed with the response on this forum. Regards, Dave
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

defsailor wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm Thanks to all for your replies! I plan to keep this as a EDC when camping. I've spent some time researching on the web and I'm guessing @ 1940-1950 as date of manufacture. Is there any way to positivily ID the handle as bone? look for something under magnification or something? Thanks again for everyone's participation here, I'm new to the forum and I'm impressed with the response on this forum. Regards, Dave
Dave, go to the AAPK Tips & Tricks Forum https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... m.php?f=98. Scroll down to find the thread titled Handles - Bone or Delrin? Posts in that thread will show how to identify bone handles.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “European-made knives”