F.A. Bower Implement Co. Solingen, Germany

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

F.A. Bower Implement Co. Solingen, Germany

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I found a F.A. BOWER IMPLEMENT CO. GERMANY, in my collection that I had put away for several years and now that I have pulled it out to clean it I am curious about it. My knife book says almost nothing about the company. I was curious if anyone out there had any information on F.A. Bower Implement Co. I see one for sale that states 1950-1980 but that is about it. It has some cracks in the scales and a repair on one side. Any thoughts as to age and value? It has great "walk & Talk" and is nice and tight. It is a good keeper and user/EDC for me.
Attachments
DSCF1878.JPG
DSCF1879.JPG
DSCF1880.JPG
DSCF1881.JPG
DSCF1884.JPG
DSCF1885.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
kootenay joe

Re: F.A. Bower Implement Co. Solingen, Germany

Post by kootenay joe »

Carter's book on "German Knife & Sword Makers" does not mention Bower so likely Bower was a wholesaler not a manufacturer. Numerous German knife manufacturers made a Folding Hunter pattern. Your knife looks similar to a Boker Folding Hunter but other manufacturers also made this pattern.
As to value there is little collector interest in knives marked "Bower". Even in near mint condition a Bower marked knife will sell for little money. Your knife has some 'issues' so it has almost no market value. However it can be repaired, blades sharpened and become a good knife to use. The blades are likely a good well tempered knife steel.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

F.A.Bower was a USA business that imported knives made in Germany and possibly elsewhere. That folding hunter though looks suspiciously like a Western 062 folding hunter with the dual match striker nailmarks.Here is a pic of one.
Attachments
Western062FoldingHunter-25 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

knife7knut wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:43 am F.A.Bower was a USA business that imported knives made in Germany and possibly elsewhere. That folding hunter though looks suspiciously like a Western 062 folding hunter with the dual match striker nailmarks.Here is a pic of one.
True, but tang has "Made in Germany" so not a Western, USA knife.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:24 am
knife7knut wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:43 am F.A.Bower was a USA business that imported knives made in Germany and possibly elsewhere. That folding hunter though looks suspiciously like a Western 062 folding hunter with the dual match striker nailmarks.Here is a pic of one.
True, but tang has "Made in Germany" so not a Western, USA knife.
I realize that Roland but if you look at the profile of the knife(the shape of the bolsters;the slimness of the frame,etc.)except for the jigging of the bone it is for all intents and purposes identical.If it wasn't made by Western ,then I think it may have been made under license from them.JMHO

kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, your observations are correct but i cannot see how a knife made in USA could be marked "Made in Germany".
Bower was an importer of German goods. If he wanted to sell a USA made knife likely it would of sold better than a German made knife; i.e. no advantage to having it marked "Germany" unless it actually came from Germany.
Maybe this is an old German pattern that Western copied many years ago ?
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

More likely an American pattern copied by German companies.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:14 am More likely an American pattern copied by German companies.
The 'clasp type' Folding Hunter (as opposed to Swell Center) goes back a long way in both England and Europe (200 years). However it is possible that this O.P. pattern was first made in USA.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The main reason I thought it could have been by Western is their folding hunter is a unique size and shape.The frame is thinner in the mid section than most folding hunters and the front bolster is flattened on the front.What struck me most though was the two match striker nail nicks;they are much longer than a regular nail nick. I would love to see the O.P.'s knife posed next to a Western 062 for a side by side comparison.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Thank you for your input so far gentlemen. ::handshake:: I didn't think there was very much value in it, but I did think it makes a great EDC/user. :wink:
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “European-made knives”