Knife information

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Pjm4574*

Knife information

Post by Pjm4574* »

I have a knife it is stamped E.F.W. Meier St. Louis England. Can anyone tell me some info on this knife I can't find anything
Please see attached
Attachments
Knife picture
Knife picture
Knife picture
Knife picture
Knife picture
Knife picture
kootenay joe

Re: Knife information

Post by kootenay joe »

"E.W.F. Meier/St. Louis/England" is listed in "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" but he gives no information about it.
Your knife is a Cattle pattern and the handles are "stag", deer antler. In 1891 USA enacted a law that country of origin be marked on imported items. British knife manufacturers added "England" to the markings on their knives beginning in the same year. Hence your knife is old but no older than 1891.
Most likely E.W.F. Meier was a wholesaler or a hardware or cutlery store not the manufacturer. If a manufacturer the name would be known, by Goins and collectors of vintage British cutlery.
kj
Pjm4574*

Post by Pjm4574* »

Thank you very much
I was just thinking if we don't think Meier was the one that made the knife do you think there is any way possible to find out who made the knives for him ? I know it's a long shot but it would be cool to know
Thanks again
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I might take a collector of vintage British Cattle knives to be able to suggest most likely maker. One hundred plus years ago there were a great many knife manufacturers in Britain who made a Cattle pattern. It requires much experience to be able to note the minor differences between them.
kj
Pjm4574*

Post by Pjm4574* »

Thanks for your help
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Pjm4574* wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:52 pm Thanks for your help
You are welcome. But i am not an expert in any area of knives. I know a little bit about a few different knife brands and a bit of knife history.
I hope that someone who knows vintage British knives in depth will post.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”