A couple Italian Traditionals, and a dose of irony.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

A couple Italian Traditionals, and a dose of irony.

Post by Nephilim »

I've added a couple more Italian regional knives to my collection and I learned a thing or two in the process.
On top is a Bergamasco by Marietti and below is a Piemontese by Codega Baldo. The Piemontese is about the size of an Opinel no. 8, for reference.
On top is a Bergamasco by Marietti and below is a Piemontese by Codega Baldo. The Piemontese is about the size of an Opinel no. 8, for reference.
The Marietti has a stainless blade, olive wood handle and an Opinel style locking collar. Sturdy construction and tight lockup. The Codega is a simple non-locking friction folder with a carbon steel blade and pine handle. The Bergamasco is named for the city of Bergamo in Lombardy, while the Piemontese is associated with the Piedmont region. Only after I acquired these did I figure out that Codega is located in Lombardy and Marietti is based in the Piedmont! If I'd known, I might have gotten a different style from each maker. Still, these are good examples of each of these knives and don't regret purchasing them.
cudgee

Re: A couple Italian Traditionals, and a dose of irony.

Post by cudgee »

Nephilim wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 am I've added a couple more Italian regional knives to my collection and I learned a thing or two in the process.
20201127_160040 (2).jpg

The Marietti has a stainless blade, olive wood handle and an Opinel style locking collar. Sturdy construction and tight lockup. The Codega is a simple non-locking friction folder with a carbon steel blade and pine handle. The Bergamasco is named for the city of Bergamo in Lombardy, while the Piemontese is associated with the Piedmont region. Only after I acquired these did I figure out that Codega is located in Lombardy and Marietti is based in the Piedmont! If I'd known, I might have gotten a different style from each maker. Still, these are good examples of each of these knives and don't regret purchasing them.
I have never seen those before, but they are nice knives. ::tu::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Very nice knives.

I have a Bergamasco but mine doesn't have the lock ring and it's made in Maniago, Italy by Viper. It has a design similar to a detent, only different, that holds the blade open and closed until you apply pressure.

Thanks for sharing those pics, Nephilim. You are the first person I've run into that has a Bergamasco. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
Attachments
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Please gentleman, don't send me down another Rabbit Warren and Addiction. ::mdm::
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Yeah, almost seems like the wide variety of Italian and French regional knives was devised to fuel the collector's hobby. That said, if anyone knows a good source of folding knives handmade in Sicily, key me in.
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Knifeplanet.net. stumbled on this the other day. Search the site for "traditional Italian pocket knives" Seems like some were for sale. Some interesting reading on regional Italian knives. Tom
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve never seen knives from those makers before. But all three shown this far in the thread a very nice knives. The blade shapes are very elegant in their way. Thank you for posting them.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “European-made knives”