Edge Brand and Edge Mark History

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
tinroof

Edge Brand and Edge Mark History

Post by tinroof »

I recently got a Edge Brand Fixed Blade, stag handled # 54, of course it has a distinctive design, (top in photo). Now in past few days I have now an Edge Mark #52 (middle in photo), - same design, but with different blade. There are certinally many knife makers, even in those days, from Germany with stag handles. However "Edge" seems to be unique in this handle design. But now I read from forum posts that "Edge Brand and Edge Mark" were trademark names used by Gutmann Importers, and the knives were made on contract by other makers.
I also have an equal knife of the #52 with black fiber ?? and aluminum spacers with Othello tang stamp (bottom in photo)
I am hoping to find more information about "Edge" and / or Gutmann Cutlery histories, maybe how many different models of the family of the # 52 and 54 were made -- other models, they also made some folders, and some of their productions moved to Japan.
I like the quality of the stag in their handles and the blade material cleans up very nice for appearance. I just collect them and admire them, I am not a hunter to sharpen and use them.
Again, as according to answers and your research in past mysteries, I appreciate your help. Thank You.
Attachments
MVC-037S.JPG
MVC-038S.JPG
MVC-039S.JPG
Eye Brand Man

Re: Edge Brand and Edge Mark History

Post by Eye Brand Man »

There were a ton of German hunting knives imported to the US after WWII. From the 1950's thur the 1970's. Before the currency exchange rate changed. Afterwards a lot were imported from Japan. Most of the German knives were made in a few factory's in Solingen that used similar materials so most of the knives have similarities. Anybody could order these knives with what ever brand or stamp they wanted, if they met the minimum order. Which probably was not all that much given the amount of different brands and stamps you can find on these Solingen knives.
I always liked these "Solingen" knives, most have stag that would be considered premium today and the steel in them is normally pretty good. I have quite a few I need to take pics of. Maybe Ill get to it this weekend and post them up.
Eye Brand Collector
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Those are 3 excellent examples tinroof ::tu:: .
I really like edge knives too, top grade stag (usually), and beautiful blade polish/grinds. They produced some top-grade knives back in the day, probably some of the best factory produced fixed blades, in the last 50 years or so.
I have 2 in stock right now, a Edge Mark Gold Line #20495, and a Edge Brand #464. They are two incredible knives, almost sorry to have to move them on, but not. I would rather see them in the hands of a collector, then squeakie me :D .
Sorry to turn this into a bit of an infomercial, but I would like them to go to a proper edge collector (and give my two bits on the brand).
::handshake::
Attachments
DSCN3602.JPG
DSCN3615.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Appreciate your replies. I would really like to know how many other knives were produced of this paticular handle style / pattern. Since I have these 2 and they "sort of fit my liking", I hope they were only part of that family. How many other models were in the production line ? Of course, the simple answer is to watch EBay and AAPK stores, but maybe somebody has another model in their safe !! Thanks to all anyway.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

In answer to "How many patterns/types of knives did Edge make", that I wouldn't know ::shrug:: . Haven't been dealing in them for long enough to get a good grasp of the models. I would suppose every pattern that came out of Solingen makers, Edge produced it in one form or another, ::hmm:: .
Like you, I would love to see a compilation of the range, nice eye candy for shore :D .
Oh, and I do have 2 more coming in, one that is similar to the middle one in your picture. Except mine has a thin brass guard, and not as pointed bolster. The other looks like your black n' aluminum one, except mine has a straight forged guard, with fancy pebbling, and more dagger like blade. Also looks like deep engraving, we shall see.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Buyers like Edge Mark could choose from a number of blades, then choose a handle/guard combination. Almost everything was interchangeable.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 3 knives in O.P. look like the Anton Wingen Othello knives. The handle shape and guard are distinctively a Wingen product. This does not mean that all Edge Mark/Brand fixed blades from Germany were made by Wingen. Gutmann could have used other knife makers for other patterns, or not. No records seem to have been kept so actual manufacturer is often a guess.
kj
ralphgrindstaff89

Post by ralphgrindstaff89 »

Interesting ...... I have the edge mark number 53 !! I have owned it since it was new ....
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ralphgrindstaff89 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:42 am Interesting ...... I have the edge mark number 53 !! I have owned it since it was new ....
Hey Ralph! ::tu:: I just came across your post and wanted to let you know that this thread has been inactive for awhile so I don't know if you'll get much response, and in case no one has done so I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
jadermus

Post by jadermus »

I would like some info on this knife I picked up the other day. It is the 457. Thank you
Attachments
0A17E28B-3DC2-4B50-A48D-66E33E511CC7.jpeg
94F6026B-7A66-4BC7-8854-074D3E17FF07.jpeg
Baddude

Post by Baddude »

Grandfather old knife
Grandfather old knife
is this worth anything
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Of course it's worth something Dude, it holds a lifetime of memories of your Grandpa! It certainly has seen its share of sharpenings though, so IMHO I'd say it's highest value is to you. You might even consider installing a new blade onto that gorgeous handle that looks to be in excellent condition. Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
GRKeith2023

Post by GRKeith2023 »

I found this very interesting, thank you. This helps answer one of my questions regarding my Edge brand knife. I was always confused by the fact that the sheath says Edge Mark. My assumption is now that this is not the original sheath for this knife.

The other question that I have is regarding the finish. It looks to me like the plating is peeling. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I picked this up about 15 years ago from an antique store, as one of my first purchases as a new collector. I have no regrets, I can chalk it up to learning the hard way! Thanks for any input.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I personally don't follow your brand of knife GRK, but I've always been fascinated with those black stripped handles, they remind me of licorice! I also can't answer your questions, but be patient and wait, as others will be along and see it eventually and might be able to help. BTW, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

GRKeith2023 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:37 pm I found this very interesting, thank you. This helps answer one of my questions regarding my Edge brand knife. I was always confused by the fact that the sheath says Edge Mark. My assumption is now that this is not the original sheath for this knife.

The other question that I have is regarding the finish. It looks to me like the plating is peeling. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I picked this up about 15 years ago from an antique store, as one of my first purchases as a new collector. I have no regrets, I can chalk it up to learning the hard way! Thanks for any input.
Only thing I know of is have it re-plated. Once the chrome plating starts peeling off it will continue. Of course, you could remove it altogether and polish the blade.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
GRKeith2023

Post by GRKeith2023 »

Good to know, I appreciate the suggestions and the welcome. Come to think of it, I have a friend that owns a plating shop. Sounds like a perfect time for a lunch get together!
GringoBombero

Post by GringoBombero »

I recently obtained a couple Gutmann knives, (mostly Explorer) all NIB made in Japan. Can't seem to find much info on them though.
One is an Edge Mark Mini Boot Knife #21-260.

Can anyone point me towards some info?

Pics to follow.
Goodnight Chesty Puller... wherever you are... ::pray::

Return to “European-made knives”