My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Madmarco »

I got a surprise double-header in today's mail, and this is one of them! It's a C. Jul Herbertz 9 1/8" linerlock folder that was described as a kitchen knife, but I very much liked the design, and the pictures showed how well built it is, so I ordered one and am extremely pleased with the result. This knife is so well put together that it could easily be used as an EDC. The knife has a 440C SS spear-point blade/thumb-stud and is so sharp I've cut myself twice already and I've only had it out of the package for a couple of hours, all screw construction, SS liners, adjustable pivot, black G-10 scales that look almost like carbon fiber, and lanyard hole. My best guesstimate on the weight is 5 oz.'s, and as I said, SHARP! Has an XY trademarked logo and "XYJ. LTD" etch on the front blade, as well as, "C. JUL HERBERTZ" and, "ROSTFREI 440/253113" stamp on the front tang. My picture absolutely doesn't do this knife justice, and I'm sure if you saw it in person and handled it, you'd be as impressed as I am! 8)
WIN_20200928_19_35_08_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

It does look very good Mark.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! For CDN$17./delivered I couldn't go wrong! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, I got a nice surprise in today's mail! I ordered 4 knives from Matt from AAPK's Sandersknives, 10 days ago, and this was only after Matt was kind enough to hold them on reserve for me for quite awhile, much like how Mark from SSK(Sharpnshinyknives)has previously done for me. Unfortunately for me, my knife tastes far out shine my financial situation, so I sometime find it necessary to request sellers hold pieces for me until I'm in a position to buy, and both Mark and Matt have willingly done this for me, so, THANKS GUYS! ::handshake:: All 4 of these babies will definitely improve my current collection with new styles and materials! First up is a 6 3/4" oal "Little Pillbuster" Dr.'s knife/SS drop-point blade with n/n, N/S bolsters, brass liners, and gorgeous genuine MOP scales that show rainbow colors when in the light. There is an etch of a banner with "LITTLE PILLBUSTER" on it on the front blade, as well as, a stamp of a flying bird and "PARKER CUT CO." on the front tang, and, "SURGICAL STEEL/JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. I have no idea why, but I'm very attracted to these Dr.'s knives, and now I own 2 of them, this one being by far the nicer of the 2. Weighs just shy of 2 oz.'s, and arrived relatively sharp. Has solid slip-joint action, and closes with a resounding "click"! Very nice folder! Next up is a 9 3/8" oal Will & Finck "Horsehead" lockback folding bowie/SS clip-point blade with n/n, N/S ornate bolsters, brass liners and pins, and brown wooden scales displaying a beautiful grain pattern. Has "WILL & FINCK/S. F. CAL" stamped on the front tang, and, "UC527/STAINLESS/JAPAN" stamped on the rear tang. Nice hefty weight of about 8 oz.'s, and came shaving-sharp. I recently acquired the W & F fixed blade model and wanted to compliment it with the folding model, and although the 2 have different color scales, the design is identical.(See pics!)Walks and talks beautifully! A very cool knife! Coming out of the 3 hole is a Case 2138 "Sodbuster" slip-joint folder built in 1987 and is 8 1/2" oal/SS drop-point blade with n/n, brass pivot liners and pins, and jet-black derlin(?) scales. There's an etch of a hand-held plow, and, "STAINLESS/Sod Buster" on the front blade, as well as, "CASE XX/SS/USA" stamped on the front tang, and, "2138 SS" stamped on the back tang. I'm guessing it weighs about 4 oz.'s, came really sharp, and feels very substantial in-hand, not to mention it's solid slip-joint action and smooth walk and loud talk! I've been attracted to this knife's simple sleek design ever since I first saw one, but the high price has always kept me from ordering one, but Matt sold me this one virtually for a song, and I can't sing! After handling this great knife I certainly see why so many folks swear by it as their EDC! I realize this thread is for knives not built in the US, but since these all came together I thought I'd just post it here, and if this upsets anyone, my apologies. And, last but not least, is another Parker Cutlery offering that I just fell in love with when I saw it! It's an 8 7/8" oal lockback tanto folder/SS tanto blade with long-pull, N/S bolsters, brass liners and pins, and genuine blue/brown stag bone scales. Has a bird with a banner in it's beak and "EAGLE BRAND CUTLERY" etch on the front blade, and, that same trademarked bird and "PARKER CUT. CO." stamped on the front tang, as well as, "SURGICAL STEEL/MADE IN JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. A nice sturdy weight of upwards of 8 oz.'s, and razor-sharp. Also displays smooth walk and loud talk when closing. I've seen a knife on ebay with the identical scales and drop-point blade that I'll eventually order to compliment this one! A really nice knife! That's it for today guys, but I have more on the way, so watch for them if you enjoy my posts! 8)
WIN_20201009_11_55_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201009_11_51_49_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201009_11_52_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201009_11_54_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201009_11_53_59_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

All very nice Mark. The Dr knife is pretty cool, I almost bought that one from Matt myself a while back. The Will and Finck look good together like that.
I have been picking up more Dr’s knives lately myself. I like this pattern and they do appeal.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: Don't know exactly what it is but the Dr.'s knives hold a special appeal for me. The other one I have is the Steel Warrior that was dropped and the dry bone scales broke off, and I installed the 2 different colored scales on. The one in the pic has a tiny "ding" in the MOP, on the back side, and, it's under the top layer of the MOP, so when you run your finger over it you don't feel anything, but it's visible to the naked eye. I saw this before I bought the knife, but wasn't sure until I had it in-hand. It doesn't bother me that it has a small defect, in fact, it makes it unique. I just wish there was a slightly longer model, say, 8 or 9", but to date I've never seen one. As for the W & F bowies, now that I have the 2 I kindda wish I'd bought the fixed model with the brown scales so they'd match, but I've been giving some thought to figuring out if I can dye the brown scales black. Also, don't you think the folder would look much better with a dagger blade, I do! Can't have everything I guess! The tanto folder is a really nice, big heavy knife, and Jacob has one with the same scales and a drop-point blade that I'd like to acquire so the 2 can compliment each other. I've actually been looking at it for awhile now, even before I saw the tanto in Matt's store, so now that I have the tanto I'll have to work toward getting it! It's rough being a knife addict, huh? 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, your Parker tanto Lockback is a great looker. My eyes keep going back to it again and again. Congrats!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks very much Garry! ::handshake:: It really is a special knife. I liked it the moment I saw it in Matt's store, but to hold it and feel the weight and comfortable grip is just special. Wish you could handle it. ::nod:: I'm holding it right now, just like I have since it arrived! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received these 4 knives today, and they all came from Brent at Luvstag! Brent was kind enough to hold them for me for quite some time before I was ready to order, much like Mark(SSk)and Matt(Sandersknives)have done for me in the not too distance past. THANKS BRENT! I was really looking forward to seeing and handling these knives, and once I got them they didn't disappoint. First up is an 8" oal J. A. Henckels lockback folder/SS drop-point blade without a nail-nic because the blade is so wide it can easily be gripped with 2 fingers, NS bolsters, SS liners, and black hardwood scales. I'm guessing the weight is about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived scary-sharp. There is the Henckels 2-stickmen logo along with "J.A. HENCKELS/SOLINGEN/1731" etch on the front blade, as well as, the same logo and "J. A. Henckels/GERMANY/INOX" stamped on the front tang. This knife slips right into the palm of my hand, and almost feels like it was designed to fit my hand. If I had any complaint about the knife, it would be, that the run-up has about a 1 mm step down from the spine to the tang, but other than that, it's perfect! A beautiful folder! Next up is another Henckels offering, this time an all-metal slip-joint Melon Tester, that's 8" oal/SS spear-point blade, SS body, and no pocket-clip. Weighs a paltry 1.5 oz.'s, but arrived extremely sharp. Has no markings on the blade, but, on the front tang it's stamped with the Henckels logo along with "Triodur/INOX", and on the rear tang it's stamped "ZWILLINGSWERK/GERMANY/751". I'm very much attracted to these Melon Tester/Dr.'s knives, and although it's hard to see from my pic, this one with it's shiny appearance touches all the bases for me. The final 2 knives came as a set, entitled "Gambler's Set", and consists of a slip-joint lockback folder, along with a fixed blade that's quite similar to a Bird and Trout knife. They are Frost Cutlery builds, with the folder measuring 6 3/4" oal, and the fixed at 7" oal/SS drop-point blades, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, no pocket-clips, lanyard holes, and beautiful stag scales. The folder weighs 2.7 oz.'s, the fixed a touch over 2 oz.'s, and both extremely sharp. Both have banners etched on the front blades with "The ACE" on the fixed, and "The Deuce" on the folder. They also have the Frost logo as well as "FROST CUTLERY/SURGICAL STEEL/JAPAN" along with the set number "226" stamped on the tangs and bolsters. Two very nice conversation pieces! More to come in the near future, so keep watch'in! 8)
WIN_20201109_12_14_00_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201109_12_14_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201109_12_15_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201109_12_16_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201109_14_41_04_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

All very nice Mark. The Henckels on top is a classic. Looks like some nice stag on those two.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! The black-handled Henckels is soooo comfortable in-hand, wish they made em' all that way. I don't know much about grades of stag, but the examples on those 2 sure looks good! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this nice little surprise in yesterday's mail, cuz I wasn't expecting it for awhile yet. It's an exact clone of the Benchmade 417 "Fact", right down to the axis-lock, but 1/6th the price of the original. It's 8 5/8" oal/S30v steel spear-point blade with dual studs, SS liners, through construction, adjustable pivot, blue anodized spacers, axis-lock release, black jigged nylon fiber scales, and pocket-clip. The only markings are an etch of the steel grade on the rear blade, and a very fraudulent etch of the Benchmade logo on the front blade. Weighs-in at 2.7 oz.'s, which is about 1/3 of an ounce lighter than the original, and can likely be attributed to the nylon fiber scales, as opposed to the anodized aluminum scales found on the original. I've been attracted to this knife for some time now, but the cheapest I could find it for was US$182., and I would never pay that much for this type of knife, so when I found it for CDN$30. delivered, I pounced! One more new style to add to my collection! 8)
WIN_20201201_18_46_34_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Mark, I really like the blade shape and design on that.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, while your knife is appealing, and I definitely understand the price issue, still I would not knowingly purchase a fraudulent knife which allows someone to dishonestly benefit from someone else's work. You might send a photo of the knife to Benchmade if you have any information about its source.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm Very nice Mark, I really like the blade shape and design on that.
Thanks Mark, ::handshake:: that's what attracted me to it originally, the spear-point blade! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm Marco, while your knife is appealing, and I definitely understand the price issue, still I would not knowingly purchase a fraudulent knife which allows someone to dishonestly benefit from someone else's work. You might send a photo of the knife to Benchmade if you have any information about its source.
Garry! The knife came from China, as I'm sure you've deduced, and I'm also fairly sure that Benchmade is fully aware that their products are being copied in China, but even if they weren't, I would be the last person to lend a hand to a company that unjustly sued a good friend of mine over a patent infringement that they didn't legally own. Sorry, ::handshake:: just how I feel about it! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Hi Marco. Well, that is certainly interesting background. ::hmm::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got these 3 in today guys, via my friend Mark at SSk! First up is a 9" oal J. Russell Green River Knife Works Barlow style E-Z open slip-joint folder/SS drop-point blade with n/n, SS bolsters and liners, brass pins, and saw-cut toasted brown bone scales. Has "Russell Green River Works" etched on the front blade, along with a diamond logo stamped on the tang, and, "SOLINGEN/GERMANY" stamped on the back tang. There is also an "R" with an arrow going through it stamped on both bolsters. My small scale doesn't go high enough to get an accurate weight, but I'd guesstimate about 5 oz.'s, and came freshly sharpened by Mark. Being the very first Barlow I've ever owned I was quite surprised at it's 9" length, but being a lover of big knives I didn't mind one bit! Next up is a Kershaw 2420 8" oal linerlock folder/half-stop, SS spear-point blade with thumb-stud, aluminum body with textured Delrin inserts, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. Is marked with a "Kershaw" stamp on the front tang, as well as "KAI/2420/JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. For a larger knife it has a surprising weight of only 3.2 oz.'s, and was also sharpened by Mark. This knife comes in 3 sizes, 6", 6 3/4", and 8", and I now have the smallest and, the largest, with no plans on getting the middle size. This brings us to my new pride and joy, an SSk Exclusive Limited Edition of 50 ANZ433 Moki 7 1/4" oal lockback folder/VG-10 clip-point blade with top-swedge and n/n, SS bolsters liners and pins, blue Lapis jigged bone scales, and lanyard hole. These knives have Mark's SSk logo along with "Exclusive Special Edition of 50" etched on the front blade, as well as a front tang stamp of "MOKI", and, "VG-10/JAPAN" stamp on the rear tang. It weighs a very comfortable touch over 3 oz.'s, and needed no further sharpening than what the factory did. The run-up on this knife is so tight that it looks like 1-piece of steel, something these Moki's are known for. I was privy to this knife's arrival, and believe me, it was worth the wait, an absolutely beautiful, classy knife! Thanks Mark for making them available to all us knifers! Please excuse the poor pictures, it's the best my laptop can do! 8)
WIN_20201209_15_01_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_00_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, what a haul. I love the big Barlows; that your Green River is E/O just adds to the pleasure.

The clean lines of the Kershaws have great appeal. A fine pattern.

The SSK Moki is sheer beauty. Congratulations on all of them. You have had quite a day. ::ds::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Nice score, never seen a barlow that big. It's a wopper!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks guys, ::handshake:: I appreciate your comments! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Mark, but I’m a bit biased. Glad you like them all. I thought that Barlow would make you happy with it’s size. It’s a mirror image of an older original Russell GRW.
That must be your first Moki? Every time someone gets their first one, they are just in awe of the fit and finish and the tight run up. Moki’s are what lite a fire in me for collecting. I just didn’t know how good it gets. I’m proud to offer those and grateful for the business from you and many others.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 am Very nice Mark, but I’m a bit biased. Glad you like them all. I thought that Barlow would make you happy with it’s size. It’s a mirror image of an older original Russell GRW.
That must be your first Moki? Every time someone gets their first one, they are just in awe of the fit and finish and the tight run up. Moki’s are what lite a fire in me for collecting. I just didn’t know how good it gets. I’m proud to offer those and grateful for the business from you and many others.
You have a right to be a little biased Mark, they come from your imagination! You're aware of my liking of big knives, and my new Barlow totally fits the bill. Yes, this is my 1st. Moki, but definitely not my last! I've been watching the one in your store with the reddish-brown jigged scales, and the only reason I haven't jumped on it is it's shorter length, but had it been a 433 I'd have bought it by now. Such fine looking knives! Now, let's get the rest of them sold so we can see what you have in store for us next! Thanks again for making them available! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received this set of IC Cut lockback folders today from Mark at SSk(Sharpnshinyknives), and these are 2 beautiful knives! The larger model is 7 3/4" oal, and the smaller 5 1/4" oal, and both have SS drop-point blades with n/n's, NS bolsters liners and pins, and rich colored Stamina wood covers. Respective weights are about 5 and 1.5 oz.'s, and both came ridiculously sharp. They both display IC Cut markings, and the fit and finish is superb. Built in Seki, Japan. The lockback release is silky-smooth, and both close with a resounding "click". Before purchasing Mark told me he has only ever seen the 2 sets of these knives that he has, so if I bought a set I'd be the exclusive Canadian owner, and he'd be the exclusive American owner, and I liked that idea, so I bought one, and I'm glad I did! 8)
WIN_20210107_13_39_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_39_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_40_36_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Looks like dad and son, nice score on those.

Return to “Other foreign made knives”