Back in the USSR

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

Back in the USSR

Post by Nephilim »

Picked up another Soviet made pocket knife on a whim, thought I'd make a post about the two in my collection.
On top is a pruning knife with a blue plastic handle. Sturdy construction, strong spring. Handle is labeled "HM", a logo of a vine and the price of 1 ruble and 35 kopeks. Below is a little penknife by the Red October factory in Vorsma. They use a Rooster logo. According to folks I asked, that little hooked blade is supposed to be a can opener. It's a decently built knife with strong springs, but I wouldn't want to attempt to open any cans with that thing.
On top is a pruning knife with a blue plastic handle. Sturdy construction, strong spring. Handle is labeled "HM", a logo of a vine and the price of 1 ruble and 35 kopeks. Below is a little penknife by the Red October factory in Vorsma. They use a Rooster logo. According to folks I asked, that little hooked blade is supposed to be a can opener. It's a decently built knife with strong springs, but I wouldn't want to attempt to open any cans with that thing.
That pruner was labeled as a Soviet Navy knife by the military surplus place I bought it from. I seriously doubt that that was issued as a rope knife, but if it was I would love to know. I did try looking up some more info on Soviet military pocket knives and the closest thing I could find was a wooden handled hawkbill bladed knife supposedly issued to Soviet medics in WW2, made for cutting bandages.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Back in the USSR

Post by jerryd6818 »

Interesting pickups. You have your work cut out for you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

A member here once told me that the claim many of these hawkbills being sold with as being "Russian Navy Knives" was completely false. They are actually for use by Red Army medics, and were part of medical kits, for cutting bandages and clothing.

As for the weird hooked blade on the second knife; my sole Soviet knife has one too. I think the purpose of that blade is to open some sort of bottle they used in the Soviet Union at that time.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

One of the members here is Eustace and he resides in Bulgaria. He would have the info on your knives as he is very knowledgeable on Soviet bloc knives. I haven't seen him post in awhile but you might try sending him a personal message.I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. If you do tell him I said hello.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Nephilim wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:18 pm Picked up another Soviet made pocket knife on a whim, thought I'd make a post about the two in my collection.
20200625_145355 (2).jpg

That pruner was labeled as a Soviet Navy knife by the military surplus place I bought it from. I seriously doubt that that was issued as a rope knife, but if it was I would love to know. I did try looking up some more info on Soviet military pocket knives and the closest thing I could find was a wooden handled hawkbill bladed knife supposedly issued to Soviet medics in WW2, made for cutting bandages.

The first is manufactured in the factory "Mechanical Tools", Pavlovo. Nothing to do with the army or navy. The abbreviation НM means Michurin's Knife (Нож Мичуринский)
Ivan Michurin is Soviet plant breeder :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Vlad ... h_Michurin

The logo of the second is not a rooster, it's a Sirin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirin
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:27 am One of the members here is Eustace and he resides in Bulgaria. He would have the info on your knives as he is very knowledgeable on Soviet bloc knives. I haven't seen him post in awhile but you might try sending him a personal message.I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. If you do tell him I said hello.
Hi Ray :D I hope you're well!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Eustace wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 pm
knife7knut wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:27 am One of the members here is Eustace and he resides in Bulgaria. He would have the info on your knives as he is very knowledgeable on Soviet bloc knives. I haven't seen him post in awhile but you might try sending him a personal message.I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. If you do tell him I said hello.
Hi Ray :D I hope you're well!
HELLO GEORGI! Haven't seen you post in awhile;hope all is well with you y friend.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Thanks for the info on the pruning knife, Eustace. These old soviet knives make for some interesting and affordable collectables.

Return to “European-made knives”