Anton Wingen Jr. Commemorative Knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
radiowizard

Anton Wingen Jr. Commemorative Knife?

Post by radiowizard »

Greetings to the forum. New member here. I have an old pocket knife that I found partially buried in a parking lot of the 58th Signal Bn. at Fort Lewis back in 1971. Made by Anton Wingen Jr., with Solingen stamped below that. The sides are embossed. One side shows what I believe is Kaiser Wilhelm, and another man, whom I am not sure of. The other shows battle scenes on either end, with the middle showing two soldiers shaking hands. The words Einigkeit Macht Stark surround that. The smaller blade was missing when I found it.
I am a member of an antique radio forum, where I first posted about the knife. I was given the link to this forum. Another bloke said that Ft. Lewis housed German P.O.W.s during WW2. It's possible that a prisoner had this on his person when he was there and dropped it, either unintentionally, or was found on his person during an inspection.
Anyway, looking for information on it. I've read up on Anton Wingen, Jr., so I don't need a lot of info on the company.
Thanks
RadioWizard
Attachments
IMG_20200610_202148588[2].jpg
IMG_20200610_202208066[1].jpg
IMG_20200610_202232324_HDR[1].jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Anton Wingen Jr. Commemorative Knife?

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome RadioWizard. Can't be of much help but others should turn up. The second man reminded me of Otto von Bismark. Of course he was not contemporary with the Kaiser.
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

I would not think it was von Bismarck, as Wilhelm II booted him from his position of chancellor in 1890.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

::welcome:: Welcome to AAPK!!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting old knife. If the 2 'heads' can be identified it will help to 'understand' the possible origin and age. German knife manufacturers made knives to be sold in South Africa. Could this be a Boer War 'memorial' knife ? and the 2 'heads' are former Prime Ministers (?) of South Africa ?
I had an old German knife with 4 'heads' on the handle, all former heads of state (Prime Minister ?) of South Africa.
There are quite a few old German pocket knives in USA, often brought along when immigrating from Germany or other European countries.
kj
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

I was told by a co-worker years ago that the guy on the left was Kaiser Wilhelm II.
Thanks for the welcome.
RW
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

radiowizard wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm I was told by a co-worker years ago that the guy on the left was Kaiser Wilhelm II.
Thanks for the welcome.
RW
One think you learn when collecting pocket knives is that there are differing opinions as to origin, age, etc. even though many are sure their opinion is the right one.
Unless your co-worker was an expert on German history, it would be good to seek another opinion from a knowledgeable person. If the ID of both heads could be known it would tell us a lot about the knife: age and what event it is commemorating.
kj
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

He was not an expert; I do not know off hand who I would get a hold of for ID outside of this group.
RW
radiowizard

Post by radiowizard »

Finally got the scoop. From a member of a local geneaology facebook group: "Commemorative knife from 1914 or so. Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany on left and Emperor Franz Josef of Austrio-Hungary on right."
A little more to go on.
RW

Return to “European-made knives”