Unusual Brazilian Slipjoint

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

Unusual Brazilian Slipjoint

Post by Nephilim »

I say "unusual", but for all I know these are utterly typical Brazilian knives. What I should say is that I know next to nothing about these.
Onca is the Portuguese word for jaguar, I believe. The profile is very similar to a Mercator, but this is a slipjoint instead of a lockback. I have know idea what company made this, or when it was produced. I'm pretty sure the blade is carbon steel; I was cleaning a little rust off of it earlier today. If any of you know, please chime in.
20200307_203220 (2).jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Unusual Brazilian Slipjoint

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Nephilim wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:05 am I say "unusual", but for all I know these are utterly typical Brazilian knives. What I should say is that I know next to nothing about these.
Onca is the Portuguese word for jaguar, I believe. The profile is very similar to a Mercator, but this is a slipjoint instead of a lockback. I have know idea what company made this, or when it was produced. I'm pretty sure the blade is carbon steel; I was cleaning a little rust off of it earlier today. If any of you know, please chime in.
Here's one on eBay. The seller says he has 10 of them and that they are from the 1960's. ::shrug::
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Pocket ... SwqwxeHDaL
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting! Likely a copy of the Mercator made in Brazil.A lot of companies made knock offs of popular knives.I have a Japanese made copy of a Schrade knife that is near identical except for the copy printed on it.Here is a pic of the Schrade and the Valor side by side.The lock on the Valor actually works better than the Schrade!
Attachments
GeorgeSchrade&ValorFishKnives 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

The Valor knockoffs are pretty cool, I've seen an example of their version of a Mercator before. Just be because its unoriginal doesn't mean it can't have quality.

Return to “European-made knives”