Bunting cast steel knife Sheffield England

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
wiseguy

Bunting cast steel knife Sheffield England

Post by wiseguy »

Hey guys, I’m trying to date this knife, while the maker is fairly well documented, this stamp I’ve not seen before. Usually marked “R. Bunting & sons “ with various script following and have dagger ground blades with a hump style lock back whereas this has a flush lock and spear blade... Maybe it’s an early knife prior to the “sons” participation in cutlery? Take a look.
Attachments
3EBCB912-9DEB-4A96-8F7C-4CD32E070E29.jpeg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bunting cast steel knife Sheffield England

Post by Old Folder »

wiseguy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:31 pm Hey guys, I’m trying to date this knife, while the maker is fairly well documented, this stamp I’ve not seen before. Usually marked “R. Bunting & sons “ with various script following and have dagger ground blades with a hump style lock back whereas this has a flush lock and spear blade... Maybe it’s an early knife prior to the “sons” participation in cutlery? Take a look.
I can't give much help with exact dating of the stamp on your knife wise guy, with the exception of the below cutlery dates from Goins 1986 edition and the bottom picture from Levines third edition. Levine rates R. Bunting as being High Value.
Prior to your post I had never seen a R. Bunting knife. Thanks for posting. ::nod::
It is a very beautiful old knife.

img108.jpg
img109.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

NICE KNIFE! That is probably the earliest automatic I have ever seen. Bunting knives are not common at all;I only have one that is a half congress and is marked R.Bunting & Sons.
Attachments
R.Bunting&SonHalfCongress2.JPG
RBunting&SonsCongress 001.jpg
RBunting.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Thanks for the follow up guys, here's an ad a member shared with me R. Bunting.... not sure if the above posted knife was his or not at this point.
Attachments
Im1839RobBir-Bunting.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”